Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 3:52pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Protip: If she can't breathe when I'm on top, I'm too fat.
    Pure class! :D

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2008 10:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Sona, I am also an unfortunate expert on negative body-image.

My advice, if you want to address that part of your concern, is to stop focusing on how you are measuing to your goals, and stop trying to fix the problem. By focusing so much time and energy on your body, you are re-inforcing the concept that your physical being defines who you are. This adds to the spiral - my body is not perfect, I need to focus more on it, I devote more time and attention, I notice more deficiencies, I feel worse, I focus harder, it's never enough - it's a straight path to a bad place.

I really started to get past it all when I did a really stupid but ultimately rewarding exercise: I thought hard about the value that I bring to the world, and then asked how my body size affected my contributions. Do the children in Africa I raise money for care about the size of my ass? Has anyone at work ever said "These rework instructions would make more sense if you were a size 8"? When my child wakes with a bad dream and needs her mom, does she find less comfort in my arms because they are slightly flabby?

Seriously - spend more time thinking about who you are, what you do, how you enjoy life, what you bring to the world, and less about the 'ugly bag of mostly water' that carries you around. (Sorry, recovering ST geek)

There is nothing wrong with working to have a good body. Even spending lots of time and effort doing so, as long as it comes from a good place - a desire to be the best you can be. If you are using excessive physical exercise as a means to punish your body for not being perfect, it's time to stop and re-evaluate.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/15/2008 11:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So now that we got all those posative, useful posts out of the way...how fat are you, Lily?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123