Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bet extra weight classes in the UFC would function like the cruiserweight division in boxing; prospects would fight in those new divisions to try to earn a title so they would have legitimacy and attention when they move to an older, more established weight class.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 11:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment
    I bet extra weight classes in the UFC would function like the cruiserweight division in boxing; prospects would fight in those new divisions to try to earn a title so they would have legitimacy and attention when they move to an older, more established weight class.
    I read this as:

light heavyweights eat their way up to heavyweight to get bigger purses.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 11:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    light heavyweights eat their way up to heavyweight to get bigger purses.
    Essentially, yeah. Like how Holyfield won the cruiserweight title before taking on the heavyweights.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 11:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Essentially, yeah. Like how Holyfield won the cruiserweight title before taking on the heavyweights.
    Pretty much.
    Holyfield was the Lt. heavy Olympic champ (side rant...he turned out to be better suited for Heavy then Tyrell Biggs, the heavy champ or Henry Tilllman the alternate) before he added on weight and ran the Cruiser division and then again with the heavy. Michael Moorer did the same thing.

But then other then Dwight Muhammad Quawi (sp?) and Carlos "Sugar" DeLeon the Cruiserweight division was devoid of talent. "Smokin" Burt Cooper turned heavy but just couldn't deal with the size difference.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 1:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fourteen is a lot of weight classes, perhaps too many, but having a 60lb heavyweight class always seemed kind of ridiculous to me. Of course, my own "fighting trim" is probably right around 225, so I may be a bit biased.

Aside from a catch-all superheavyweight division, I'd think it would be bad for balance to have a fighter who cuts to 206 on the nose versus a fighter who cuts to 264 on the nose, and if the lighter fighter *did* want to fight the heavier one anyways, they could always fight up a division. I'm no expert, but could this have something to do with why the (20lb) light heavyweight class was a bigger deal than the (60lb) heavyweight class in UFC?

if you can put your hand that close to their mouth they should be legally able to bite u
    That was the first thing that came to my mind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 1:25pm

Style: BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whilst I see the UFC adopting the changes regarding striking etc, theres no way they'll kill their own partner organisation, the WEC lives on the idea they deal mostly in smaller competitors. The UFC will most likely stick with the existing number of belts (maybe add another between middleweight and light heavy).

Also whilst adding more belts means more title fights, it also dilutes the existing belts, they already spend a lot of time getting the current champs over and trying to make them legitimate crossover stars, if they all of a sudden have 8 or 10 guys a lot of guys are going to get lost in the mix. Plus, for the casual fans, trying to maintain even a vauge idea of who is due a title shot or who is at the bottom of a particular division goes from difficult to impossible with even a 2 or 3 more divisions, much less 9.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 1:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrapeS
    if you can put your hand that close to their mouth they should be legally able to bite u
    Because that is so easy to do with a mouthpiece in...

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 1:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But then other then Dwight Muhammad Quawi (sp?) and Carlos "Sugar" DeLeon the Cruiserweight division was devoid of talent.
    It'll probably be like that in MMA. You get these extra weight classes with only a few good guys and some prospects looking to pump up their credentials. And, in the end, people are only going to really care about the old divisions.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 1:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It'll probably be like that in MMA. You get these extra weight classes with only a few good guys and some prospects looking to pump up their credentials. And, in the end, people are only going to really care about the old divisions.
    Probably. But I hope that it allows the "tweeners", the guy who isn't powerful enough to jack up to a higher class but is also going to lose some stregnth dropping to the lower class, a chance to compete.

End of the day, with 12 PPV shows to fill, it will allow more title fights on the cards.

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 2:43pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nisezoom
    Whilst I see the UFC adopting the changes regarding striking etc, theres no way they'll kill their own partner organisation, the WEC lives on the idea they deal mostly in smaller competitors. The UFC will most likely stick with the existing number of belts (maybe add another between middleweight and light heavy).

Also whilst adding more belts means more title fights, it also dilutes the existing belts, they already spend a lot of time getting the current champs over and trying to make them legitimate crossover stars, if they all of a sudden have 8 or 10 guys a lot of guys are going to get lost in the mix. Plus, for the casual fans, trying to maintain even a vauge idea of who is due a title shot or who is at the bottom of a particular division goes from difficult to impossible with even a 2 or 3 more divisions, much less 9.
    Exactly. + Rep.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast