Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    BJJ,JUDO,MUAY THAI
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training against guys that are bigger than you??

hi

i am currently doing bjj at the moment, and i have found that it is an awesome martial art. but the problem im having is that guys that are bigger and stonger than me always kick my ass with ease. i have onlu been doing it for about 2months, but they use their size and stregnth and can easily pass any defensive positon i may have on my back.

im 15, and about 10stones. but do you think that it comes with time, and that if you train with people that are bigger and stronger than you, you will become alot better.

thanks guys

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it Join us... or die
    Style
    Improv comedy
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No matter how big you are there will always be someone bigegr than you. And more than likely you'll be partnered up with him.

2 months is not a lot of time in, time and effort will pay off, plus at 15 you have a lot of size and growth ahead of you.

Just think when you're 20 you'll be making guys in their 30's feel like ****.

Style
    JamBoxer
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your 15 and have been training for 2 months. This would happen with any physical sport. Plus the fact you have no experiance and are training with bigger stronger guys. Focus on technique, learn the basics. Most of all don't get frustrated and discouraged. Time on the mat and a good attitude are the answers you need. If you are having fun and improving your health(training safe) you will reap many benefits in time.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ash
    positon i may have on my back.
    Hmm, I think I see where the problem lay (pun in fucking tended)...

Seriously though, 2 months... you suck. I mean that in the nicest possible way, everyone who isn't BJ Penn has had to go through this. Train more and the problem will more than likely solve itself.

See you in a couple of years.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even after a lot of training big guys can suck. One of the purples at my school is a 390 lb power lifter. Nicest guy ever but SO retard strong it's ridiculous. Being in side control makes me want to die.

Technique.
    Technique.
    Technique.
    Technique.

Spar.
    Spar.
    Spar.
    Spar.

You'll get it. I'm pretty sure even BJ Penn had trouble with this at some point because, let's face it...rolling with huge guys sucks man.

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i did a bit of no gi bjj and it was fuckin great but most of the guys there were bouncers so needless to say the majority of them were fuckin monsters.. end of the day practice will help but you might want to do some light strength or weights training just to ease the transition from 'you suck' to 'you are relatively adequate'

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started out at 17 similar weight. Infact cause of bjj I lost weight, but you will get better especially off your back. Work your sweeps and give it time. However big guys will always suck, even when your on top.

Style
    JKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    123ash, you need to understand, BJJ isn't like other arts. You're not going to be good in 2 months, you're probably not going to be very good in 2 years. You will spend many, many moons getting your ass kicked by bigger guys, smaller guys, women (I hope), higher belts, lower belts.

What matter is training hard and getting better. In 3 years, you still get beat every time you fight? Take up knitting. Till then, just train and leave your ego outside.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Style
    TKD, judo, MT noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as one of those bigger guys that everyone has to roll with, let me just say that we know it sucks for you guys, and we feel bad. if ur new we even try to be lighter on top because there is no point in beating up on the new guy and not letting him learn anything.

give it a bit, if u are sparring hard every day u will see improvement very quickly, and u will hopefully find out that their size advantage wasn't nearly as big a deal as their skill advantage (as i am continuously learning from my 350 lb judo coach)

BTW....200th post...woot

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As the second-shortest guy (the one guy shorter than me is actually a Jiu Jitsu monster, but that's another story) in my class, it's a situation I find myself in all the time. If a bigger, stronger guy is just trying to 'muscle' his way in sparring, I find it surprisingly easy to 'sandbag' him by just relaxing, hanging back and waiting for him to over-exert himself.

Of course, it doesn't always work because those bigger, stronger guys usually have been doing Jiu Jitsu longer than me, have more mat time and more technical know-how.

Although I've only been in it five months (and am hence not an expert by any stretch), I find that as a short dude, I don't need quite as much "wiggle room" to execute escapes and guard passes as a tall guy. The flip-side is that keeping a larger opponent in Guard takes a bit more work and you will be at a reach disadvantage due to those skinny, Tyrannosaurus Rex arms and stubby legs that us short folks have.

But that's what Jiu Jitsu is largely about... to me, anyway. Taking stock of your physical assets and shortcomings and trying to figure out how best to use the assets and how to make up for the shortfalls. In regards to the guard situation, don't forget to control your opponent's arms! That's a rookie mistake I made many a time, but I eventually learned my lesson.

Also you might want to learn some basic open-guard sweeps. That way, if a bigger guy tries to break your legs open, you can just let him think he's getting away... then BAM! His ass goes to the mat and (often) you can slip into mount.

Whoops. I've said too much.

ETA: I hate to be a nit-picky rule freak, but isn't this the type of thread that belongs in Guantanamo Bay?
    Last edited by sum yung gai; 7/04/2008 10:56pm at .

Page 1 of 3 123 Last