Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 9:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What did your diet used to be? Are you a broad build or a slender one?

I am built similarly, 6"2 183lbs now, but I used to be 220ish just as you were, actually 225 at some point. I worked out a lot and then got horribly sick, i dropped down to 160 and bulked back up to 183 atm. A lot of it is muscle but I have the EXACT same problem. I am toned everywhere else, except for my abs. I have a layer of "pudge" as i call it, that isnt huge, people still call me "skinny" (something i never heard before) but no matter how much weight i lose, how many variations of different ab workouts I become proficient in, this pudge does not go away.

Any insights that maybe I'm ignorant of?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:00pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I'm told, having washboard abs is a matter of genetics. Some people have the genes to pull that off easier than others. Barring that, I think it's percentage body fat. To reach the point where your abs will show you have to be something obscene like 8% body fat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 7:01pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am also making great progress.

I started seriously April 2 of this year.

I lost 2 inches off of my waist by June 1st.

Combination of Weight training/Boxing Cardio and Kyokushin/Enshin training.

I am hoping by April 2009 to be in great shape.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 8:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stay away from beer, steak and long weekends

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 11:35am

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    Stay away from beer, steak and long weekends
    Whoops....well at least it was Light Beer lol.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 11:54am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz
    no matter how much weight i lose, how many variations of different ab workouts I become proficient in, this pudge does not go away.
    One of the cardinal wisdoms in this area seems to be that you cannot lose fat from specific areas of your body. No matter how many ab exercises you do, no matter what your abdominal muscles actually look like, no one will see them with fat in the way; and your body will lose fat in its own particular way (generally "first place it goes to, last place it disappears from") -- so the only way to lose that gut is to reduce your overall body fat percentage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:04pm

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same issue. I don't seem to add fat anywhere other than my gut. Today is my first day training so I'm planning on working that off.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    One of the cardinal wisdoms in this area seems to be that you cannot lose fat from specific areas of your body. No matter how many ab exercises you do, no matter what your abdominal muscles actually look like, no one will see them with fat in the way; and your body will lose fat in its own particular way (generally "first place it goes to, last place it disappears from") -- so the only way to lose that gut is to reduce your overall body fat percentage.
    QFT!

Loads and loads of sittups won't get you abs.

I'm sure Phrost said "Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym", I don't know who he was quoting.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 3:26pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed on the food bit. No beer is a must.

Also, make sure your ab workout isn't just focusing all on one area of the abdominals. I used to do alot of crunches and situps and that got my upper abs rock hard but I still had some flab on the lower.

For me, watching my diet big time + running a mile or two every day did the trick.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 7:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried focusing on getting stronger abs? I mean using weight and resistance rather than doing crunches and situps and the like. Get the abs stronger, they will get bigger, and show through the fat a bit more.
    I know my abs are much more defined when I am doing deadlifts and other liffts than tax the core a lot. Also, russian twists with weight, weighted situps, anything that brings your rep range to 8 or below would be good.

Have you looked at your diet? Even if your diet consists of healthy foods and the right amount of calories for you, the timing may be putting fat on you. If you overeat at any time during the day your body will store excess as fat. So maybe spreading out your meals throughout the day and in smaller portions (even while keeping your total calories the same) may help.

Plus genetics of course. The stomach is probably the last place men tend to lose fat.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast