Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 2:35am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Felipe Costa PTP... Ronin Athletics (SBGi-NYC)... Amazing!

Christmas came early this year for us at Ronin Athletics (the Straight Blast Gym of NYC). Our fearless leader (Christian Montes) surprised most everyone by bringing in 2x BJJ World Champion, Felipe Costa, for a multiple-day Personal Training Program.

In a further act of awesomeness, Christian let every Ronin Athletics student train in Felipe's PTP program... just because! Many of the students who hadn't heard through the grapevine that Felipe was going to be in town, walked onto the mats completely shocked ("who's that guy?", "what's going on?", "is that..."), but quickly caught on that this was going to be incredible. And it was! Our mats have been packed!

Felipe taught gi and no-gi BJJ, rolled with everyone who asked, gave a lot of individual attention and pointers to everyone, and was incredible with the way he taught and explained the concepts behind everything we were doing.

As a lighter-weight BJJ guy, I've been closely watching Felipe's videos and reading about his successes in magazines and on the web for years, but until a few days ago I couldn't even have begun to imagine just how technical and fluid Felipe's jiu-jitsu really was. I've been training BJJ for around five years and have to say that Felipe's jiu-jitsu is completely inspiring and he's definitely one of the most humble and nicest guys around (and I've met and trained with a lot of incredible instructors).

For the next few weeks (I think), Felipe is going to be traveling around the U.S. and Canada. If a gym in your area is hosting him, I highly, highly recommend you try to attend. Check out his website FelipeCosta.com to see the schedule.

(By the way.... our gym is not affiliated with Felipe's academy in any way, nor do I have anything to gain by writing what I just did. These past few days have just been amazing and I think many folks would also benefit.)

Huge thanks to Felipe (and Christian)!

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 2:40am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was at two of the classes that Felipe ran and also rolled with him.

The man epitomizes flow with the go, moving in such a way as to not go with power or go against it but disappear completely. his jiu jitsu is smooth like nothing else i've seen.

the man can also teach, with an attention to imparting both the larger concepts and the minute but necessary details that help his techniques to really sink in.

basically, he's sick.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 11:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what is the personal training program? What did he teach? Was it like a seminar?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 1:17pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    So what is the personal training program? What did he teach? Was it like a seminar?
    Info about the PTP is http://www.brazilianblackbelt.com/ptp.php.

Felipe taught a lot of things, no-gi and gi, based on what we requested and more importantly on what he saw we needed to work on. Specifically we worked no-gi sitting guard against standing/defending the pass, drags, hooks, taking-the-back, also passing the guard. Gi sitting guard sweeps against standing & kneeling (combat base), and the low half-guard that he's well known for (by enthuiastic request).

It was so much more than (incredible) "techniques" though. It was like a seminar/class/private all rolled into one, not to mention getting to roll with a World Champion (and receiving pointers throughout the entire roll). Everytime we'd make a mistake or get caught while rolling with him, he'd correct the technique and the concept/details.

The other great thing about rolling with Felipe is that he'd always adjust his level based on who he was rolling with and not just run through everyone. He'd give us openings, give us subs (if we used good technique), let us dominate, etc.

Seriously, if you have the opportunity to train with him, do it! If not, definitely check out his DVD, The Path to Success.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 8:52am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been in a seminar of his, and everyone should take the oppurtunity to attend a class with him if they get a chance. I would also add his English is very, very good. At no point did I ever have a hard time trying to follow him or understand his pronunciation, and usually I find it very difficult to keep up with accents.

Also, The Path to Success is a great DVD. Its light on instruction, it mainly focuses on the process of improving your game than actual techniques.

He also does a camp every year in Brazil that is listed on his previously cited webpage, for what is a very reasonable price considering everything that it covers. I'd love to be able to go to that in the next few years.