Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 2:33am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reliable scales.

Hey guys, wondering what you would recommend i buy for my next set of scales. I had a pretty expensive electronic set i bought 5 years back which measured body fat levels as well but it just screwed me out of a Kyokushin competition.

It tells me i weight 63kg when i really weight 75kg, so naturally i wrote that down as my entering weight and failed the weight in rules on the 20th. Maybe the lady of the house has been tampering with it? :P.

Basically the price is not a problem but i don't want to be spending money on features which don't work so well. It would be preferable if the scales had a feature to change between pounds and kg too, i find pounds to be a superior range to work with when measuring my mass.

Thanks!

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Used doctor type balance scales are pretty cheap.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 6:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any way you can get weighed in on the official scale for a competition in advance? All you'd need is to weigh in on their scale once, your own scale once, and you should know roughly how much yours and theirs differ. The problem with getting a "good" scale is that your scale might be properly calibrated, but if theirs isn't, you're going to have the same problem.

Edit: 12kg of error is way too much. Were you by any chance weighing yourself on carpet?

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 1:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yep i was weighting myself on carpet :psyduck:. It is giving a much more accurate result now on the tiles. Thanks for the tip.

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 4:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no such thing as a reliable set of scales. EVERY SINGLE set I try tells me im a fat ****. They must be wrong. Surely. Damn fallibility of weights and measures!

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 5:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just need one which measures bone density so it can say 'dont worry. you are just big boned!' I rarely step on scales unless I'm entering a competition, my weight seems to fluctuate a good 3 kg depending on heaps of factors so its not a very good measurement of short term changes.