Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 12:11pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What else should I be doing?

This is less of a critique my routine question than a request to help me round out the routine.
    I just started lifting again a few weeks ago. I started super light w/ 60lbs.
    I'm doing 5x5 w/ Upright Rows, Overhead Press and ATG front squats.
    I'm up to 80lbs on them and wondering if I should be doing anything else right now or not? I don't have a bench ATM so bench press is out, which sucks.
    I've been looking at some of the crossfit workouts, but I lack a lot of the equipment.
    What I DO have is a regular bar, a curl bar, a couple of adjustable dumb bells and about 350lbs worth of weight.

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 12:14pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is plenty more you can do with that eqipment. What, you ask?? I don't freakin know. I'm sure one of the more knowledable guys will come along and help you out though.

I've just started regular car-pushing, and I'm getting pretty good results. If you have someone to sit in the driver's seat and steer you away from mailboxes it's a good workout.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 12:15pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure there are all kinds of silly things I CAN do with that weight, but what things SHOULD I be doing is really what I'm trying to figure out.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 12:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deadlift, pullups, assuming you're strength training for martial arts.

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 12:29pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. strength training for MA, specifically BJJ. I'm trying to get my pullup bar to affix to something stable right now. Deadlifts I can definitely drop on. Any advice on where/how to add them in? Just another set of 5x5 maybe at the beginning then have the rows and the overhead between the deadlifts and the squats?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 2:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way I usually see it organized (and the way I do it) is squats (because they're the hardest, they come first), bench press (because you need seperation between the two leg-intensive lifts and you don't want to work back before chest), then deadlift. I would make it another 5x5 and then do the other exercises in your routine.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would remove the upright rows. They tend to be pretty destructive on the shoulders and serve more as a trap workout than a lat workout. When you get a pull-up bar, sub it in for that. If you want another day of weight training, you could arrange a schedule like this

Day A:
    Squat
    Overhead press
    Bent over row

Day B
    Deadlift
    Floor press
    Pull-up
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 2:21pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a hard enough time getting the every other day weight lifting going. I was under the impression that upright rows were one of those "must have" lifts.
    If I'm lifting every other day would it still be a good idea to do a A and B day or could I simply add Deadlift and later bech press to my workout?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every other day as opposed to what specifically? I only am training twice a week nowadays because of my schedule, and I still rotate between two sets of movements.

I don't feel it would be ideal to just add deadlifts and benching to your routine. It would cause one of your movements to suffer. If you bench before you overhead, the overhead suffers, if you squat before you deadlift, the deadlift suffers. You'd also need to add in an extra pulling movement, brining you up to 6 movements to train in a high set, low rep fashion. You'd be in the gym a while, especially due to the short rest times.

I've never really heard of the upright row as a "must have" movement, usually it's more criticized. I've heard better things about the high pull, but considering you're looking to directly work the antagonist of the movements you're making, I can't see it being too beneficial.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    This is less of a critique my routine question than a request to help me round out the routine.
    I just started lifting again a few weeks ago. I started super light w/ 60lbs.
    I'm doing 5x5 w/ Upright Rows, Overhead Press and ATG front squats.
    I'm up to 80lbs on them and wondering if I should be doing anything else right now or not? I don't have a bench ATM so bench press is out, which sucks.
    I've been looking at some of the crossfit workouts, but I lack a lot of the equipment.
    What I DO have is a regular bar, a curl bar, a couple of adjustable dumb bells and about 350lbs worth of weight.
    That is basically what I have (in addition to some other **** I've built.)

Deadlifts, zercher lifts, cleans, overhead squats, walking lunges, giant lunges, presses, push presses, bradford presses, JM presses, standing JM presses, floor presses, barbell rows, barbell bicep curls (incredibly, good for the back), barbell face pulls, romanians into power shrugs, etc. There is a lot of good stuff that you can do with that equipment.

There will be two limiting factors, though:

1) The first limiting factor will be what you can hang clean (or clean, jerk and press behind the neck for a back squat.)

In cases like this, you can clean/jerk a bit less than your max for a back squat, and turn that into alternating side lunges, cossacks or step ups if you have a sturdy chair or platform. With step ups, if you keep your rear leg on its heel with the fingers curl back, it will negate most of its help, forcing the leg on the platform to take the brunt of the step up. Be careful at first as there will be almost no eccentric or stretch reflex. You'll be stepping up almost cold turkey.

2) The second one will be what you can safely bring to your chest for a floor or JM press. In cases like this, it will be better if you use a super-duper heavy dumbbell, which you can put in place with both hands for starting and ending a set of unilateral presses.

If you can build a platform like the one I built (it's in the DIY crap thread), you can do bench presses. As for squatting, I will most likely buy a pair of heavy duty sawhorses from Home Depot for front squatting from the bottom up (or build me a pair of "pillars of poverty".)

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/safety.html
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast