Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairy
    I am trying to gain weight, I'm a puny 130lbs at the moment. And by strength I meant gaining enough power to perform well on the mat, ie. pushing the fatties off me, not lifting huge amounts of weight.

My fitness level is ~above average, and eating decently.

Also, I would like to point out the immense collapse of logic on the sentence highlighted above. To be able to push a fattie off you is no different from lifting a huge amount of weight.

If you rub a pair of neurons together, you will notice the following:

A a large person, obese or not, will weight certainly over 180lbs, ****, maybe 200lbs and more.

If you cannot bench press your own bodyweight (130lbs), what changes you will have off pushing off a fattie? *

How are you going to develop the strenght required to move heavy **** off you if it's not by lifting, well, heavy ****?

It doesn't freaking matter if it's weight on a barbell, a sandbag, or someone's gut off and away from you. You lift heavy **** off you. Heavy **** is heavy ****, and, in principle, you'll use the same freaking limbs you have to lift heavy ****.

HAVE YOU READ THE STICKIES? HAVE YOU NOTICED THE OFF SEASON WEIGHT TRAINING PROGRAM USED BY THE WRESTLING OKLAHOMA UNIVERSITY TEAM?

Seriously, this has been discussed a bloody million times and it's in the sticky. It's getting tiring of going over and over this same question all the time, when it's been answered plenty already.

Check the stickies.

[edit]
    * We are not mentioning the technicalities involved in getting people off you. W/o technique it's almost certain that no amount of strength will get you escape from under someone that is skillful (and strong.)

Your strength will complement your skills, and your lack of strength will impair your skills against someone equally skilled but stronger (or against someone sufficiently strong to compensate for some lack of skill compared to you.)

Another advantage of strength training is its carry over to injury prevention. Stronger muscles involved stronger ligaments and bones. You can certainly see this as a plus for your grappling.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 7/03/2008 11:06am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 11:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    I really enjoyed doing it and felt like it was definitely working my endurance.

I'm not interested in gaining large amounts of weight and am trying to tailor my other training around BJJ.

For me, it seems like a good workout in that respect but I will of course listen if you think otherwise Macho.
    It's not like it's a wrong workout. It's a great workout. But I want to make sure people understand what it is and what it is not for. I see it as a great way for metabolic conditioning or endurance (by increasing or decreasing the speed of the reps and increasiong or decreasing rest between intervals.) It's a good way to lose weight. And for some individuals, it will be a good way to develop strength, at the beginning.

It should not give significant strength or size gains for someone that is beyond a certain level of fitness or that is not underweight and on a caloric deficit.

Workouts are like tools. A hammer is no better than a screw driver as a tool. A tool is a tool. However, a tool has a purpose. Same with workouts and routines.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 11:49am

Style: Bicep Curls

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am 23yrs old, 169cm.
    Right now my workout routine consists of Bench, Incline bench, military press, barbell rows, squats, deadlift, chinups, skullcrushers + other less significant ones etc all being 5x5 one time a week. Kickboxing/BJJ 3 times a week, about 2 hours each session.

For breakfast I eat weetbix (they are chunks of wheat) with milk. After that I have 3 meals spread out during the day consisting of alot of rice, about 400g chicken, 100g tuna and maybe 2 servings worth of vegies. One protein shake a day and weetbix again in the middle of the night.

Thanks for the reply, I shall check out the stickys when I wake.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you have an unequal amount of pushing compared to pulling. Try to match all movements with an antagonist movement.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 9:26pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A question here for TEM and/or Emevas:

Isn't he headed for lower back injury with the form on some of these exercises?

Edit: "He" being the "he" in the video. Apologies for any confusion
    Last edited by Arctos1964; 7/05/2008 9:37pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What in particular? All I saw was a little momentum in the upright rows.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 9:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    When I watched it, I think I saw him using his lower back to "jerk" both the rows in particular. I could easily be wrong; it won't be the first or last time.

I figured you two were the ones to ask. I do a lot more bodyweight work, not having access to a lot of equipment, so I'm asking if I think I see is right.

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 12:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, nothing is going to happen to his back. A person would have to be somewhat weak in the lower back to sustain an injury from that little cheating on the rows. Not to be nutride him, but an athlete like Randy can get away with a lot of crap just because of his physical attributes.

Also, it is possible to use that momentum to train your lower back through a limited range of motion. There are exercises that require that kind of movement; for example, romanian deadlifts into power shrugs.

Little rocking, little cheating like that is only a concern when you are trying to build your lats but you are cheating by rocking. It completely defeats the intended purpose, or worse (lead to injury) if the cheating is for moving weight beyond your actual capacity (resulting in horrendous form.)

Randy isn't lifting heavy **** on those rows. That wouldn't even cause soreness at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Nah, nothing is going to happen to his back . . .is only a concern when you are trying to build your lats but you are cheating by rocking. It completely defeats the intended purpose, or worse (lead to injury) if the cheating is for moving weight beyond your actual capacity (resulting in horrendous form.)

Randy isn't lifting heavy **** on those rows. That wouldn't even cause soreness at all.
    Ok, thank you both. It's always good to get to hear what those who know more than me think.
    Last edited by Arctos1964; 7/06/2008 11:44am at .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234