Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 1:30am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure this is from when he was fighting at 205, which is why he looks so skinny.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 2:40am

Style: Bicep Curls

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would this replace a normal workout? or is this something to do on the side?

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 3:04am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from the good mornings we do this as a pre-fatigue workout before MMA sparring class. 2 sets and getting punched in the head seems like a relief.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 3:28am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairy
    Would this replace a normal workout? or is this something to do on the side?
    It depends on your goals I would say
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 4:41am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I tried it last Night I did 4 sets with 10 kg on each end of the bar.

I treated it like rounds with only a minutes rest in between sets.

I then did five three minute rounds on a heavy bag. I ache this moning which can only be a good sign.
    Last edited by Kambei Shimada; 7/03/2008 4:45am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 7:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    It depends on your goals I would say
    Strength, endurance and weight.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, what do you mean by "weight". Weight gain or weight loss?

Secondly, strength and endurance are, more or less, sports specific. This workout shown here is purely endurance for general purposes (the so called GPP or general physical preparedness.) In Randy's case, this would be a part of his training.

One has to remember, as it's been mentioned already in this thread, that Randy is already a top athlete. He built his strenght a long time ago - either on the mat or with additional strength training routines. He's purely on a maintenance mode, getting what he needs most for MMA by, basically, training for MMA.

This workout is just a part of what he does for GPP.

It is not a precisely a strength training workout (although it would yield strength trains to some degree) and certainly would not help in gaining weight (though it would help in losing weight, provided a sensible diet is being followed.)

It should be fun to do just for the hell of it. Hell, it is a good workout for GPP. Depending on your current fitness level, I'd venture to say it will help with your metabolic conditioning, strenght and weight loss.

The degree to which it'd help in any of those aspects, again, will depend on your current strength and metabolic conditioning, as well as your nutrition and health.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 7/03/2008 9:48am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 10:04am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really enjoyed doing it and felt like it was definitely working my endurance.

I'm not interested in gaining large amounts of weight and am trying to tailor my other training around BJJ.

For me, it seems like a good workout in that respect but I will of course listen if you think otherwise Macho.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 10:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    First, what do you mean by "weight". Weight gain or weight loss?

Secondly, strength and endurance are, more or less, sports specific. This workout shown here is purely endurance for general purposes (the so called GPP or general physical preparedness.) In Randy's case, this would be a part of his training.

One has to remember, as it's been mentioned already in this thread, that Randy is already a top athlete. He built his strenght a long time ago - either on the mat or with additional strength training routines. He's purely on a maintenance mode, getting what he needs most for MMA by, basically, training for MMA.

This workout is just a part of what he does for GPP.

It is not a precisely a strength training workout (although it would yield strength trains to some degree) and certainly would not help in gaining weight (though it would help in losing weight, provided a sensible diet is being followed.)

It should be fun to do just for the hell of it. Hell, it is a good workout for GPP. Depending on your current fitness level, I'd venture to say it will help with your metabolic conditioning, strenght and weight loss.

The degree to which it'd help in any of those aspects, again, will depend on your current strength and metabolic conditioning, as well as your nutrition and health.
    I am trying to gain weight, I'm a puny 130lbs at the moment. And by strength I meant gaining enough power to perform well on the mat, ie. pushing the fatties off me, not lifting huge amounts of weight.

My fitness level is ~above average, and eating decently.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This workout will actually be detrimental for your weight gains, then, specially if you are doing MA 2-3 times a week or more.

What'd work for you could be one of the following:

1. Programs like those based on the 5x5 (see the link in my sig),
    2. De Franco's Westside Barbell For Skinny Bastards (WBSB),
    3. a starting bodybuilding program (don't have a good link or program I'd recommend, though)
    4. or anything involving full body workouts with a pressing movement (.ie. bench press, military presses), a pulling movement (chin/pull ups, barbell rows) and a squatting/deadlifting movement 1-3 times a week.

Any of these would work provided you are eating like a Brahman bull (as "eating decently" usually does not cut it for the task at hand.) :

Also, how tall are you, and what's your age? If you are under 21, chances are that you won't be able to pack on weight until you reach 21-23 (it's pretty common.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast