Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 11:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do buy a worthwhile f*cking weight set

Salutations.

In my endeavors to get better at BJJ and swimming, and increase my killing power, I recently purchased a set of weights. As I am impatient, I went to a Big Five and purchased a 100 pound set of chi-com **** and a bench, and two 45 pound plates. I also ordered Mark Rippetoe's book, which is awesome but was in the mail at the time of purchase and so could not forewarn me of my blunder.

As it turned out, the bar which came with the weight set had a limit of a hundred pounds. Which makes it fine for tabata-type stuff, but I'm trying to increase gain strength. Thus, I ask, How do (Where do) buy a good weight set?
    Last edited by Fishgod; 7/06/2008 12:01am at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 12:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, I'd look into joining a local gym rather than working out at home, at least for starters. There's less up-front expenses, and there's a lot to be said for having people to ask for spots.

If that's not possible, it depends what sort of lifting you're planning to do. I'm a big fan of dumbbells, but a decent set of them is expensive (five figures new). You can get an appropriate pair of PowerBlocks for less money and a lot less space, but they're a bit more cumbersome than the "real thing".

After dumbbells, a basic barbell and a set of plates are useful for both Olympic- (clean and jerk, snatch) and powerlifting-style (bench press/squat/deadlift) training. For the former you'll probably want rubberized plates (not to be confused with those crappy plastic-on-concrete discs) and a lifting platform - for instructions on how to build your own, see this Ironmind article. For the latter you probably don't need rubberized plates (except maybe for deadlift), but you'll probably want a good power rack. A good power rack will keep you safe when you're both benching and squatting.

I have to stress this: in my experience, a basic home gym is quite pricey (four figures or more new). If you can get a good deal on some used gear, then you might be able to do better, but even if you're set on working out at home, get a month's membership at a local gym and make sure your dedication to working out lasts the whole month.

Hope that helps.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 7:08am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishgod
    Salutations.

In my endeavors to get better at BJJ and swimming, and increase my killing power, I recently purchased a set of weights. As I am impatient, I went to a Big Five and purchased a 100 pound set of chi-com **** and a bench, and two 45 pound plates. I also ordered Mark Rippetoe's book, which is awesome but was in the mail at the time of purchase and so could not forewarn me of my blunder.

As it turned out, the bar which came with the weight set had a limit of a hundred pounds. Which makes it fine for tabata-type stuff, but I'm trying to increase gain strength. Thus, I ask, How do (Where do) buy a good weight set?
    What kind of bar did you buy???? I own a standard (not olympic) 6 ft long barbell (good enough for my size) that can take over 500lbs, and I bought it at a local sports store (Sports Authority).

I cannot phatom what kind of bar would not hold over 100lbs. There is people out there using hollow metal plumbing pipes for holding stuff way heavier than that.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 7:11am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if you have the money to cover shipping and handling, I'd suggest you buy your stuff from http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/ or http://www.elitefts.com/ - Sports Authority also carry decent stuff.

Just make sure you understant the plate and bar sizing; you don't want to buy olympic plates with a standard barbell or viceversa.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 8:53am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 9:32am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much are you looking to spend.

A note on swimming and lifting, I've heard (and experienced) from swimming instructors that added muscle makes you denser, and reduces your ability to float, which tends to be a detriment when swimming. When I was a fat kid, I was a decent swimmer, and when I tried taking it up again in college after a few serious years of lifting, I had a helluva time staying afloat. If you're serious about swimming, be cautious with your diet while lifting, and realize that one is gonna hafta suffer for the other. You can gain strength without putting on mass, but you will eventually reach a point where you need to increase your muscle cross sectional area to elicit more gains.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    A note on swimming and lifting, I've heard (and experienced) from swimming instructors that added muscle makes you denser, and reduces your ability to float, which tends to be a detriment when swimming.
    I've heard this just about every time swimming comes up, and although it's well-documented that body fat (about 0.9 g/cm^3) is less dense than water (1g/cm^3) whereas the the non-water components of muscle are more dense than water (1.404g/cm^3 for the protein and glycogen and such if I'm reading this study correctly). And ancedotally, I've gone from a floater to a sinker from weight loss.

I was going to counter all of that with another ancedotal observation that I haven't seen any chubby elite-level swimmers (water polo players notwithstanding). They call it a "swimmer's build" for a reason, right? But interestingly enough, it looks like elite-level swimmers carry about five percent more body fat than the corresponding groups of runners... so much for ancedotal evidence.

One thing I think is important to note about weight training is specificity of training. Swimming and BJJ are different activities, with different movements and loads, and so an exercise that improves your performance at one may not help with the other. This is probably the kernel of truth in the swimmers' saying that "gaining muscle doing anything but swimming won't help you swim better".

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's pretty much what I was getting at there. Specificity is always a bitch with multiple activities.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69