King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yet another "critique my life" thread

So, I was kicking a pretty decent amount of ass for a while. I was losing weight, gaining muscle, and with minimal changes to my diet (No more swiss cake rolls, fritos are gone). Life was good. Recently, however, I've noticed things have essentially come to a stop. I weigh the same after two weeks, with little to no noticable difference in muscle size or strength.

To correct this, I did a little research about nutrition/diet, and weight lifting, and came up with the following regime. I started it yesterday, so I'll give you a basic run through of how things went down. The diet is my own doing, but the weight program is entirely stolen from T-Nation, and I'll post the link to the article I'm stealing my training from.

Morning (6:00 am):
    One english muffin (No butter, I dislike butter)
    Banana
    Two slices of ham

Mid morning (9:00 am)
    Banana
    Ham sandwhich on whole wheat bread, one slice of American cheese, two slices of ham
    1 serving of mixed nuts (I separate it out in the mornings, helps me wake up)

Lunch (12:00 pm)
    1/2 a square of Ramen Noodles
    1 lunch bag of carrots
    1 lunch bag of apples
    1 Serving of mixed nuts

Mid Afternoon (3:00)
    1 lunch bag of carrots
    1 lunch bag of apples
    1 Serving of mixed nuts

Dinner 1 (6:00)
    Soup (Green beans, peas, and carrots mixed with ground beef and potato chunks in chicken broth) (About two to three cups)

Dinner 2 (9:00)
    Soup (Half of dinner 1)

Weight lifting:

http://www.t-nation.com/article/perf..._and_power&cr=

So, what I've tried to do is combine the multiple meals per day with tapering. I think my mid afternoon looks a bit wimpy now that I'm staring it in the face, but I'd be interested to see what you guys think. Today's menu is exactly the same, except I'm having soup for lunch instead of ramen.

Also, I realize now that I need to make caloric choices between losing weight and gaining muscle. I was reading about carb cycling, but I don't have a strong grasp on it. Is carb cycling beneficial to gaining muscle/strength? Is it better to lose weight first and then gain muscle, or vice versa?

On the carb cycling, if I understand it, you go three days of relatively lower carbs (30% compared to 50%) and go higher protein (+whatever percent you changed in carbs), then on the fourth day, you go back to 50% carbs whatever protein. Is it a good tool for near simultaneous weight loss and muscle gain?
    Last edited by MrBadGuy; 7/02/2008 10:43am at .

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 11:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first thing I noticed is that you seem to be sorely lacking in protein. Do you even eat meat? Drink milk? Supplement with shakes?

Also, how are you measuring your gains/loses? Are you using only a scale? Because that's only going to tell you how much weight you've gain/lost not how much fat or muscles you lost. I can make huge swings in my body composition without even noticing, so I always record myy weight and BF %.

What are your weight training goals? Your routine seems to be a combination strength and bodybuilding routine.
    Last edited by Kentucky Fried Chokin; 7/02/2008 11:40am at .

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 11:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    right off the bat, I notice a huge amount of sodium:
    ham, raman, nuts, the soup broth.

substitue some turkey or chicken for the ham, maybe some brown rice for the raman, get unsalted nuts, add some yogurt.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 12:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, I just realized I left a lot of stuff out.

Into the exercising, I forgot to add I run every other day. Usually 11 or so minutes of alternating 30 seconds of sprinting 30 seconds of rest (about a mile or so), then I'll jog/walk another mile to relax or whatnot.

Ah yea, I forgot to add what I drank into that.

I have milk for Breakfast 1, and both of the dinners. Every other meal is usually green tea or water, sometimes a diet soft drink. Usually my dinner two will be cereal with milk, and I make a point of always drinking the milk left over, but the soup is delicious. I was also going to ask; is cereal a good late evening meal? Cheerios/Bran/Wheat squares are usually my choices.

For measuring my gains/losses:
    Tape measurer. I was thinking about getting a cheap pair of calipers, but the hard part is finding a relatively inexpensive pair that doesn't suck. Hopefully I will have resolved this by the end of the week.

As for my weight training goals, I was looking for a good combination of aesthetics and strength, which is why I enjoyed that particular article. I'm still crap when it comes to weight training, so don't hesistate to tell me if I'm going away from that. I'm also looking to lose some weight in there somewhere, but I know changing my diet will have a large effect on that, and that I can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.

Tomorrow I'll switch the ham sandwich to turkey, and get some pick up some unsalted nuts and brown rice. Then I'll tack on yogurt to Breakfast and midmorning, then throw the banana onto mid afternoon.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 12:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try to minimize my grains in the evening as the carbs not being used are being stored.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 12:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'll move the cereal to Breakfast. I can't imagine life without cheerios.

The first thing I noticed is that you seem to be sorely lacking in protein. Do you even eat meat
    I have Ham, Ground Beef, and Nuts up on there. The soup is really, really heavy on the meat. I had assumed nuts would be a good through out the day fast access to protein, but now that I look at the container, it's only 6g per serving. Maybe I'll take an extra turkey sandwich for the 3:00 meal.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 12:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have time, take some sliced turkey and make a roll. Put some spinach and cottage cheese or cream cheese on the meat and roll it up.

You can also have cheese during the day or rice cakes.

As for cereal, perhaps substituting Cheerio-s with one of the Kashi cereals which add some additional protein in them might be advisable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 12:52pm

Style: TKD, Wrestling (retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mike Gill (from www.chasingkaz.com) just became a pro strongman and is a fully licensed trainer. I am big believer in his beginner weight training program and not just because it was formulated in helping me out.

Rudius Media Message Board - View Single Post - Mike's Beginner program: Workouts 101. Read it.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ***** GAAAAAH, GOUGING MY OWN EYES WITH A FRAKKING COIN *****

WHY, WHY, WHY?

Man, MrBadGuy, have you ever read the sticky, the nutritional sticky????? I mean seriously, what the heck?

You are, like, the 10th person I've communicated in this week who is doing something unholy with their breakfast.

You are nitpicking on your calories with a baby dropper. Stop that. Your body can only fuction that far and for so long with a caloric deficit, specially when depleted of protein and healthy fats. You need that **** dude.

Your breakfasts are awefully small, too little calories, too little whole carbs, too little fat and certainly too little protein. I strongly suggest you add two eggs, at least to your breakfast.

Also, replace the ham with your own cooking bro. Buy some lean chicken breast (or chicken tigh, pork or beef), slice it very thin and soak the slices in a mix of lemon juice and salt (not too much salt.) You can replace the lemon juice with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water and some soy sauce. Leave the slices soak in the solution in a ziploc bag for 24 hours.

Then, the day after, you pick the slices and fry them, sautee them or bake them. Put the slices and their juices in ziploc bags, keeping some in the fridge for immediate consumption and the others in the freezer (pulling them out of the freezer and into the fridge 24-48 hours before consumption.) You can put the meat into the liquid on a Saturday morning and cook them and freeze them on a Sunday morning, and you can cook enough for a week or two in advance.

This gives you a better alternative to ham (more protein, less sodium, most likely cheaper as well.)

I'd also go with Johnny/aardvarks's advice on replacing cherios (which is crap) with Kashi cereals. Or at least, use oatmeal with some peanut butter and yogurt (the last two give fats and proteins, which you need.)

You do not lose body fat by reducing your calories at random, but by making the appropriate food selections and by ingesting them at appropriate times during the day.

Add more brocolli to your food. Move most of your carbs to the morning and nix most sources of sugar (cherios is one of them.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding the weight training goals, I'd take Dave Tate's advice on things and go for strength or looks, not both at the same time. Typically, folks that train to get stronger will also get bigger, and folks that train to get bigger will also get stronger, and folks that try to hit the middle ground will get neither.

That being said, Doug Hepburn knew what the hell he was doing, but you owe it to yourself personally to have one goal rather than multiple ones.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast