Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 5:56am

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, MMA in the olympics would suck ass. Look at what they did to boxing and judo. I don't know if TKD was that stupid before it became an olympic sport, but we might have them to blame for that as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 6:44am

Style: Movement

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, well, I guess that there is something to be said about the Olympics trying to "pussify" all of their events to make up for the Olympics' brutal and graphic origins.

Otherwise, I really do believe that the bad business of the UFC, the type that caused Couture to leave and Emelianenko to keep out, will cost it big in the end. And no Odacon, I don't think that you, I or anyone else is really that far off when comparing the UFC to the WWF. It's hokey pokey, at least as far as it's matches go. I've searched the source and wasn't able to find a single ranking system that gives fighters a fair chance.

Not to say that the fighters don't get their due, just that the lack of a fair ranking system (outside the ones you might find in a popular MMA magazine publication) shows that no fighter in Zuffa's ranks is guaranteed a just set of opportunities. Also, I don't mean to bash on the UFC or Zuffa in general, but I've always felt that it could be done better.

Personally, I would love to see an all encompassing league, not only to rid the industry of it's political barriers pertaining to highly wanted matches, but furthermore to (hopefully) open the gates to multitudes of fighters throughout the globe. I myself see this as the only sport that any able bodied man or woman has a good chance at succeeding at, as most others set boundaries that ask for particular genetic builds, especially at the professional level.

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 7:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Professional sports is, first and foremost, a business. Sole purpose: getting the green.

Are monopolies usually good for business? If so, for whom? The owners, sure.

How about the consumers, the fans? What does lack of competition do to prices?

How about those actually doing the work? Do fighters benefit when they have nowhere else to ply their trade? What does that do to their ability to bargain for a better return for their blood and sweat?

The other side of the coin is the other extreme. If there are lot of smaller businesses, each trying to get their airtime by offering networks the cheapest bang for the buck, is that not the beginning of a race to the bottom in terms of returns for fighters? How would that affect the quality of the product seen by the aforementioned consumers?

Pro MMA is, before anything else, a business. It is subject to exactly the same economic pressures, from several different directions, that affect other areas of enterprise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 7:43am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    There's a good chance UFC will swallow up the competition as it continues to expand, a la the way the old wwwf under Vince McMahon took over all the old wrestling promotions and made them into the WWF (I hate comparing MMA to pro wrestling, but it's the only similar circumstance I can think of).
    Good point, and I think the UFC has started to do this, with, buying Pride and the WEC. A key difference is that the leagues are still separate. A nice feature is that some of the great Pride fighters (Rampage, Henderson) are competing in the UFC. Oh, Jens Pulver, from the UFC, to the WEC, was a nice bonus. Oh, one more thing...

Not another Iphaltuus thread!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12