Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 1:57pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leben is a coach? Does he teach people those bizarre looping hooks with a flexed chest, and hands at his knees? The guy has a good chin, but I don't see that style working for most people.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leben may be the only crying emo in history of mankind with a rock-solid chin.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 3:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, this isn't a documentary. It's a promo video to designed to make Leben look like a badass and the camp look great.

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 3:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Leben is a coach? Does he teach people those bizarre looping hooks with a flexed chest, and hands at his knees? The guy has a good chin, but I don't see that style working for most people.
    Want to train with champions and expirenced veterans who know the fight game inside and out because they have been there and done that? Me neither! So come on down to ICON gym. We guarentee we're the toughest gym on the island because we're the only gym on the island.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    I didn't realize they were accosiated, but isn't the name ICON now owned by KOTC or EliteXC or whoever it was that bought it?

No, he said "when we're not spear-fishing for sharks..." implying that they do spear-fish for sharks. It kind of like saying, "when I'm not busy being a badass...".
    I guess nobody told him that sharks prefer "white meat!"

`~/

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 4:45pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow the Leben hate really comes out here doesn't it?

And just for people who don't know, Leben did lose twice on TUF1. The first loss was to Josh Koscheck, probably the second best MMA Wrestler in his weight division (granted that may not be accurate but he's damn good). And his second loss was to Ken Florian. After knocking 3 shades of **** out of Ken for countless minutes, Ken lands an elbow to Chris and cuts him, fight over (yeah what a dominating loss that was).

I don't care if people don't like Chris Leben for his fighting style, etc. A lot of people say that about Lyoto as well. Fact is the man fights at a professional level and has done for quite some time. I wouldn't say he's top tier matieral, but he can at least mix it up in the cage with the best, and has done so.

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 4:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None of that makes him qualified to run his own camp.

Also, I was disappointed with that stoppage too, but to give Florian credit, he was fighting two weight classes above his.

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 4:53pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mega props to Florian of course, I'm just saying it was (in my eyes) a lucky win for him.

I will also say this, Chris Leben probably has more of a right to run a camp then anyone else who's posted in this thread so far. I may be completely off the mark with that, but I would just think that someone who has had that many pro fights would know more about training people for MMA then myself.

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 4:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh jeez, not 'youz giaz gotz no rite!' whinny bullshit. It just the internet after all.

Also, how is it luck if Florian has done it repeatedly? More like good strategy for beating a bigger, tougher opponent.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 5:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM
    Wow the Leben hate really comes out here doesn't it?

And just for people who don't know, Leben did lose twice on TUF1. The first loss was to Josh Koscheck, probably the second best MMA Wrestler in his weight division (granted that may not be accurate but he's damn good). And his second loss was to Ken Florian. After knocking 3 shades of **** out of Ken for countless minutes, Ken lands an elbow to Chris and cuts him, fight over (yeah what a dominating loss that was).

I don't care if people don't like Chris Leben for his fighting style, etc. A lot of people say that about Lyoto as well. Fact is the man fights at a professional level and has done for quite some time. I wouldn't say he's top tier matieral, but he can at least mix it up in the cage with the best, and has done so.
    So he lost twice...both to people currently in lower weight classes...combine that with sloppy technique and we definitley have a winner here. No matter what the UFC says Koscheck isn't more then an upper B level fighter at best, and florian fights two weight classes down so I'm really not impressed. The only person who could be considered among the "best" that I've seen him fight was Anderson...who ripped his head off. He's a poor wrestler and an awful boxer and every time I see him throw one of those looping punches I understand why boxers think we can't punch for ****.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast