Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 6:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sosuishi ryu Jujutsu,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Meditations on Violence by Rory Miller

After reading several glowing endorsements of this book, I contributed the following post on “Budoseek”. I assumed that Budoseek was an unbiased forum instead of a mutual admiration society that censors contrary opinions. I specifically objected to Rory Miller’s claims of experience in Koryu, specifically Sosuishi ryu. This is the foundation of his self proclaimed expertise in the martial arts.

I was immediately censored and the post was deleted. I was aware that Rory and several of his co-conspirators were moderators on the forum. I was hoping to give an alternative perspective to the biased propaganda that was posted. I stated undisputable facts, and asked the reader to make their own decision.

Very briefly, I am Yon Mokuroku, (equivalent of 4th dan), in Sosuishi ryu, and I have received my grade directly from Sensei Manzo Shitama, the 16th inheritor of Sosuishi ryu. In addition I am a retired NYPD Sergeant.

My only objective is to state the truth instead of the distortions and outright lies that are being accepted as facts. To deceive someone and obtain their money is the same as stealing. I look forward to any and all inquiries.

Sincerely,

Bill Williams

**THE POST DELETED FROM BUDOSEEK**

Tony,

You will likely wonder why I contributed to this post. Edmund Burke eloquently said: “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” I have been aware of Rory’s outright lies and fraudulent claims for several years now. I have sat by and done nothing. I was wrong.

I’m not going to specifically address Rory’s musings about work, or his romance with “violent encounters”. His expertise on “real world violence” is certainly a topic for another debate. I’ll simply say that on more than one occasion I have read his depictions, smiled, and literally rolled my eyes.

What I specifically object to is his claim that he holds legitimate grade and an instructor’s license in Sosuishi ryu.

Here are some facts:

Shitama, Manzo Sensei, the 16th inheritor of Sosuishi ryu does not award an “instructors license” in Sosuishi ryu as Rory claims he holds.

Shitama Sensei has never awarded Rory with any legitimate Mokuroku grade, as all legitimate grade in Sosuishi ryu is awarded by Shitama Sensei.

Rory has never trained with Shitama Sensei, or anyone other than beginner students in Sosuishi ryu.

In fact, the Oregon group and “sensei” Rory trained with, practiced kata they mimicked from a video tape. This group never learned waza from a qualified instructor, with the exception of 2 seminars given by Dennis Fink Sensei. Despite Fink Sensei’s efforts this splinter group continued to practice incorrectly for years. The most senior practitioners in the group had very little, if any knowledge of Sosuishi ryu other than what they gleaned from an old black and white tape

Regarding his experience and credentials in Sosuishi ryu, Rory is a complete liar and fraud. He is just another opportunist, in a long line of charlatans looking to claim expertise, and obtain financial gain without actually doing the work.

The entire premise of his book compares his martial arts training to real world violence. In his writing he takes literary license, romantically describing his encounters with a daily stream of violence, (I’m smiling and rolling my eyes again). The entire foundation of the book is flawed as his credentials in the martial arts are a complete fabrication.

I think it’s important for readers on this forum to hear another side of the book review, and make an informed decision for themselves.

Bill Williams

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 11:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bill.

The Toney you address the letter to, is he per chance located in San Diego? I ask because I think I know some guys from your Ryuha here in San FRancsico that practice with a "Toney" in San Deigo... originally an Englishman I believe? They are in the city on Divisadero street and my friend who does Takaneuchi Ryu, another friend of mine who does Kukishin and myself went to check this school out.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 10:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't believe so.

If you need some additional information, or I can help in any way, e-mail me at billwilliams@nyseibukan.com.

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 10:03am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism. And it's in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 10:14am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seconding Phrost. You'll have better luck here provided all of your claims can be backed up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 10:42am

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have any videos of Rory Miller or a link to Rory Miller's website?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 11:03am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYBUDOKA
    I am Yon Mokuroku, (equivalent of 4th dan), in Sosuishi ryu, and I have received my grade directly from Sensei Manzo Shitama, the 16th inheritor of Sosuishi ryu. In addition I am a retired NYPD Sergeant.
    Bill, welcome to Bullshido. Do you know the name of the only UK instructor of Sosuishi Ryu ?

The chap lived in Japan for a decade before returning home and establishing a branch dojo here.

...If so I'd be obliged if you'd confirm his name or at least his first name and his last initial.

Thanks

--Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 1:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dave,

I believe I know who you are speaking about as he has been the subject of several other posts on this forum. I'm reluctant to mention his name until I'm specifically questioned.

I initially thought about t naming this post “Sosuishi ryu frauds” to address the amount of bogus claims regarding grade, license, and affiliation that have been brought to my attention. I chose to address one “con-man” at a time beginning with Rory Miller.

I welcome all inquiries about Sosuishi ryu, as well as those who claim to be licensed experts in the discipline. Please just ask me a specific question, and I will answer to the best of my knowledge. If I don’t know something for sure, I will get the answer for you if I can. I also welcome debate from those I challenge. I will specifically ask them to back up their claims with proof and facts. I will do the same.

Allow me to add this to the post:

Dennis Fink Sensei is Menkyo Kaiden, and the International Director of Shitama Sensei’s Association, the Sosuishi ryu Jujutsu Kai, (S.J.J.K.) Fink Sensei is Shitama Sensei’s senior representative for Sosuishi ryu, and he received his grade directly from Shitama Sensei, the 16th inheritor of the discipline. I am a direct student of Dennis Fink Sensei since October 1981. I received Yon Mokuroku personally from Shitama Sensei.

Shitama Sensei doesn’t recognize any dojo or "instructor" that claims to teach Sosuishi ryu in the U.K. Again, if you have any specific questions, ask them, and I’ll do my best to answer them as quickly, and completely as possible.

(A.M.)- If you google Rory Miller you will find his blog and the bogus claims regarding Sosuishi ryu that I initially referenced.

Bill Williams

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 1:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK mate, I just wanted to confirm if you even knew of the chap I mentioned. He's a personal friend of mine who has taught at my dojo, I have no intentions of drawing him directly into this conversation although, he is aware of it's existance.

--Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 1:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK mate, I just wanted to confirm if you even knew of the chap I mentioned. He's a personal friend of mine who has taught at my dojo, I have no intentions of drawing him directly into this conversation although, he is aware of it's existance.

--Dave

Dave,

I'm well aware of the "chap" you mentioned, (I believe that's the first time I have ever used the term "chap"). I'm certain your friend is aware of this threads existence, since he is a large part of my motivation to come forward as of late.

I'm not looking to personally attack anyone without provocation, however I will not stand by any longer and allow the outright lies to continue. I believe we can disagree without being disagreeable. I hope that continues to be the case in this thread.

Bill Williams
Page 1 of 39 1 234511 ... LastLast