Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 9:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is better H2H in the "civilan intellegence" community than the military.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 10:27am

Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Disaster Master
    The best H2H guys are on pay per view

Anyone working for the Gov by definition doesn't excel at anything. Only mediocrity is tolerated in Gov bureaucracy.
    Not everyone wants to hurt others for a living.
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 2:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finger,

Image central. It's a proposal for a series. If I can't get on there then I'll try Top Cow and some smaller independent companies. If nobody likes my characters then I'll just try out as a penciler at Marvel or DC. Here is a sample of my work: It's a negative of an unfinished sketch of a rottie with a gun.

http://www.geocities.com/bridgeh725/v3.html

Wastrel,

>I chose CIA paramilitary because they are typically the cream of the SOF
    >community in their post-military careers.

See, that would be what this team would be now. I am writing their backgroud histories. Some of them are from law enforcement and some are from the military. I want to know my characters really well: where they went to school, where they served .. I am a little OCD about things. Details are important. I want to know what their favorite food was when they were a kid. Knowing your characters is the whole secret to writing dialogue. It almost writes itself.

Isn't the secret service kind of like that too? The best from other military organizations?

Everyone else,

Okay, I have had friends who were bouncers, cops, SEALS, Marines, etc. - I even know a guy in the Secret Service - but I don't know him that well and he is currently in washington with Airforce 1 (or maybe Airforce 2, I don't know) so I can't ask him anything. I am mainly interested in what the elite study. In other words instead of your average trafic cop or Army grunt - I want to know how tactical SWAT units compare to Military Police (MP) units. Stuff like that.

- - -

* This is how it breaks down from my own experience:

- Bouncers are not particularly well trained. They are just big dudes. One of my best friends in college bounced for years. He studied TKD as a kid and some "Kyusho" (Ryukyu Kempo) from Clark (one of Dillman's students) Another guy I knew who bounced was just a fireman, no particular training. Most bouncers I have met are just big guys with no particular training whatsoever.

- Security guards tend to be off duty police officers. I know a few who take BJJ and TKD. Others have big butts from riding around in a squad car all day eating donuts. Tactical unit people make enough money that they don't need to be security guards. Security guards are usually off duty patrol officers if they are police. Some of them are very tough but that is because they took it upon themselves to train hard. It isn't a requirement. Some security guards are just guys who lost their job selling DVDs at Walmart.

- Police get discounts so they usually end up taking martial arts. Usually, its BJJ, TKD or Karate. There are some really well trained officers. Especially in the various tactical units. Your average cop isn't that great though. Still, he does see a lot of domestic action. Experience is important.

- SEALS take JKD or BJJ or boxing or wrestling or whatever is available to them where they are stationed. They are encouraged to study martial arts outside their regular training. Serious career military men don't stop training after basic. I'm not talking about an average National Guard guy. A guy I knew went through SEAL training because he was a trainer. He helped train SEAL teams in unarmed combat. He taught them a mixture of Hapkido, Judo, JKD and BJJ. He was associated with Paul Vunack. He was the martial arts professor here at the college for a while. Now he is teaching martial arts at West point. It was pretty basic stuff really. The same thing most of you us do.

The guy who has the school I am starting up at here in town teaches JKD/BJJ. He trains the guys at the police academy. He teaches them pretty much the same stuff that the other guy was teaching the SEALS. Nothing that different. He competes in BJJ in Brazil. He is very good but it's not anything unusual that he is teaching them.

My theory:

I think most of your elite law enforcement guys and elite military guys cross train. It pretty much depends on what they do on their own as to whetheer or not they are good. They just have to meet certain physical requirements.

I guess they train pretty much the same as the rest of us. Only they devote more time to it because it's their job. They get paid to train instead of trying to cram it in between their job and their family. They also have free access to gyms and seminars and whatnot.
    Last edited by 9chambers; 12/03/2003 2:55pm at .
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345