Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remmah,
    I went to basic training. Basic training is not the be-all, end-all of military training. It is, after all, BASIC training.

That said, I have repeatedly maintained on this site that claims to uber-elite military martial powers are seriously flawed.

However...RENT-A-COPS?! And COPS?!

Please. Don't get the Army on your ass now.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:42am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regular cops are going to have a lot more H2H experience than anyone else on your list. Of course, it's going to be of the "grab the guy while my buddies pile-on" variety.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:43am

Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not all of them are fat old men, or trekkies. I guess though that I should have made it more specific, by rent a cops I meant people like bouncers, body guards, etc.

You surely jest sire! I thought that all you had to do was go through basic! I am shocked and awed.

Those elite military units won't have people trying to actually hit them almost everyday though. Do you not know what cops do? Do you think it is all just a simple stop and nothing else?

Most times an encounter a cop has will not end in violence, but you have to remember that with the amount of stops they do a day, they probably have at least two or three a week that try to resist them.
    Last edited by Remmah; 12/03/2003 12:47am at .

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elite military unit guys are going to:

1. Have more time on their hands to spend training.

2. Are more likely to spend their "leisure time" doing things like this.

I chose CIA paramilitary because they are typically the cream of the SOF community in their post-military careers.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And of course many bouncers etc. are also martial arts instructors. Which leads us to question whether we're measuring these professions, or using individuals who also happen to have an obsession with unarmed combat as examples of entire professions.

9Chambers question was about generalities. Not some guy you might know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:47am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Prison guards, border patrol, and cops have outnumbered military at every MA school I've ever been at.

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Twitch,
    Depends on where you live.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:49am

Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why can't you use the edit button, do you just like to have a huge post count?

Even if you take the a larger number of cops you will probably have a better trained group with actual hand to hand experience. By that I mean someone really trying to hit them, stab them, and cut them.

A bouncer has to train to get the job, if you owned a bar, would you hire someone who had never thrown a punch in his life?

Exactly, depends on where you live, where I live, the cops have to train, as do the bouncers. The cops have to log so many hours a week in a hand to hand course for their entire career, I was told it was at least three hours.

Are you talking to me, because I do not live in either of those places.
    Last edited by Remmah; 12/03/2003 12:53am at .

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For example, do you live in Bizbee, AZ? Or do live right outside of Fort Benning, GA?

Rolls With Sweaty Men!

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have to go with bouncers. They are constantly forced to use their skills. With police and soldiers, these are secondary requirements for their job. I would agree about CIA Spec Ops forces, as they often have the best of the best, even ex-Deltas, but their expertise is generally elsewhere. A lot of bouncers trained at my school, and they all took their training very seriously and brought a lot of experience to the teacher. That said, both of my teachers are cops. One a tactical narcotics officer, the other a detective. They would both rip through any of the bouncers... but I think they have decades of experience in the martial arts, something I think relatively few cops pursue.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast