Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2008 8:43pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try a different brand/flav. Some flavors(chocolate mostly) just make me feel a little sick all of the sudden, it comes and goes. I just switch brands/flavors when that happens, and I am good to go for a while

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    6/29/2008 10:12pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The lactose angle is a great thing to consider.

One thing I would add is how much are you taking, how often, and what other protein sources/supplements are you using? If you're taking in above a certain amount for your body type/weight/activity level, or at a certain time, it's going to take longer to digest.

AFAIK, the >30 g at a time = useless is a myth, but beyond a certain amount might take you personally longer to digest. It's not a problem for most people, but I've known some folks that can get pretty queasy if it takes them a long time to digest anything.

The yoghurt and cranberry juice are good ideas, and I might add vinegar. Apple cider vinegar may not do all the magical things the home remedies crowd says it does, but a spoonful can help your digestion. I've used it with shakes/supplements etc. that seem a little harsh and it definitely seems to help out. Course, it doesn't taste so good itself, so just down it like a shot. Acidophilus (the good bacteria in yoghurt) and positive stuff in your digestive system tends to like a more acidic environment (hence the name).

Of course, Chamomille tea also has similar effects . . . :XXhippylo:5grouphug:icon_flow

As the other guys said, figure out the timing of the whole thing too. Could be with your new regimen your glucose levels or something else are getting out of whack. How much sugar does the protein powder have? Might make you feel weird if you're low and there's something up with your sensitivity.
    They killed JFK in '63, so what the **** you think they'll do to me?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2008 11:04pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I developed lactose intolerance about a year ago, dunno how that happens, but either switch to soy milk, or try mixing the choc protein powder with Orange juice

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try yogurt or an acidophilus supplement. I'd bet developing that type of intolerance just like that is the result of your gut bacteria being nuked or something. Actually, forget the supplement and use yogurt, lots of it. Since the lactose in yogurt has been broken down by bacteria, it should cause no problems to you.

Similarly, eat pineapple and/or papaya. Both have enzymes that help in protein digestion (bromelain and papain respectively.) You could try taking these as supplements, but I'd strongly suggest you try the fruits themselves.

Other fruits that help with digestion (but not as much with protein digestion as pineapple and papaya) are persimmon, mamey/zapote (Pouteria sapota, which you can find in Latin grocery/food stores), and cranberries.

Chamomile and cranberrie juice as suggested by other posters will certainly help with digestion in general.

And just so that no one miss this: fiber, you need fiber. If you are not taking enough fiber in your diet, forget about trying to take protein shakes. If the shakes don't make you feel sick, you'll certainly will get sick when trying to take a ****. You'll feel like you are passing a solid brick shaped like a pineaple.

** ps, if you drink a lot of coffee or sodas, stop for a while and aim at eating lots of yogurt and pineapple/papaya and drinking lots of water for several days. You'll see a big improvement in your digestion.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 6/30/2008 7:18am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 7:09am

Style: MMA/Kung Fu/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Niiiiice! I'm going to pick up some cranberry juice today, I like the taste of it anyway. I hate pineapple but I can stomach it if I need to and started taking those yoghurts too. I think I get plenty of fibre in my diet but I will keep an eye on it. Things just feel like they have gone a little out of sync since I started training more.

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 10:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try IsoPure protein. It's made from the non-lactose isolate of whey protein (no milk.)

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 10:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think TEM hit the nail on the head with the Acidophilius supplement. IIRC, my local Chemist (Pharmacist US-side) recommended it when I was recovering from food poisoning. He said it would enhance the flora complement of my digestive tract. This following some urgent visits to the toilet, you understand.

In fact, visiting the Chemist is often better than visiting your doctor but you may already know that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:45am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first started doing protein powder it made my stomach clench up. I kept using it for a spell and I got used to it - additionally when I switched to a clean diet I had unbearable stomach aches for days before my body acclimated. I don't have any issues now.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the only side effect i have had from whey protein is lots of stinky gas. that went away eventually.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 6:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It might be lactose intolerance causing problems, but for comparison purposes:

1 cup of skim milk (250mL) = about 13g of lactose
    1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition Root Beer Float whey protein powder (32g) <= 1g of lactose

So the armchair dietitian (me) thinks that if you can handle a quarter-cup of skim, the lactose in a whey isolate powder shouldn't cause much of a problem. That said, try out the yogurt therapy and see if helps.

(Interestingly enough, the protein packet says it includes lactase in it as well)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast