Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Undecided
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Seeking respectable school

Hello,

I've been registered here for a while, even posted a few times when I registered, but lately have been lurking more and more. For the last 4 or 5 years, I have wanted to get involved in a martial art, (yes I know that there are differences between martial arts and fighting arts).

I tried an Aikido school for a few weeks on their free trial system, but didn't like the philosophy, playful sparring, new age attitude. It felt, wimpy. They of course insisted that they could defend themselves, but do so with "love, respect, and harmony". I realized that we were not on the same page, and excused myself.

Thinking that perhaps I should try the other end of the spectrum, I went for a trial at Moore's Karate, "Where we can't spar at all, because there would be eyeballs and severed ears lying all over the mat from our horse stance strikes". I didn't like this either, and the pricing was outrageous.

I am by no means a meathead, repressed agressor, tough guy, angry man, hotshot, etc. But if I am paying someone money to learn to defend myself, I want to be confidant I could lay the hurt on someone. I can't seem to find a place that serves up solid, no nonsense, schooling with sparring. So far, I like the looks of Judo, BJJ, Muai Thai, or some kind of MMA training, but am not set on those styles and would consider others. Furthermore, I don't want to be broken by some 35 year old sexually repressed maniac trying to show me how to properly execute a flying armbar.

I live in Lodi, CA (yes make all the Creedance Clearwater references while you can). I have read all about the McDojo theory and it seems to be along the lines of my own thinking. Does anyone know of a good, safe, sparring, practical, reasonable priced place that isn't taught by a douche? I could travel anywhere between Stockton and Sacramento... It may be a shot in the dark, but if anyone can recommend a place, it would be greatly appreciated.

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So dkbaumbach, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Style
    ukemi & tapping out
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if you ask me this looks promising.

http://www.cwo.com/~judo/sjc/

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido!

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaumbach
    Hello,

I've been registered here for a while, even posted a few times when I registered, but lately have been lurking more and more. For the last 4 or 5 years, I have wanted to get involved in a martial art, (yes I know that there are differences between martial arts and fighting arts).
    First of all, I'd recommend you take a look at the FAQ on finding a good martial arts school. In general, signs to look for are a competitive record, regular heavy contact sparring and 'aliveness' (if you're unfamiliar with the term, Matt Thornton has a long article on the topic describing what it is and why it's important: he is the man most associated with popularising the concept).

If your interest is mainly in striking, the safest option if you want decent training is muay thai (which you'll also see as 'thai boxing'), along with martial arts like boxing and kyokushin karate. That's not to say there aren't good schools within other striking styles, but they tend to vary widely in quality.

If you're more interested in grappling, then BJJ would be an excellent choice, as the strong competitive element and ability-based ranking system generally results in high quality training. A cheaper option is judo, which is also much easier to find - the two styles are closely related, the main difference being that judo normally focuses on throws whereas BJJ is mostly about the ground. For more on judo, read the Bullshido.com article - there is also an article on BJJ. SAMBO is another good choice, but even harder to find than BJJ. Then there's wrestling, which is also great training for grappling.

Alternately, you could combine grappling and striking by cross-training in several arts, or at an MMA gym (though technically 'MMA' is a ruleset rather than a specific style). Examples of well known MMA gyms would be Team Quest and Miletich Fighting Systems.

Finally, you could try having a look through the dojo reviews section, which might yield something more specific to your area. Alternately, you could try a Google site search, either off the Google toolbar, or by typing "site:www.bullshido.net" followed by the area.

There are also several school databases you could try. For example, for BJJ:

TrainJiuJitsu.com
    bjjMap.com
    Gym Database (BJJ, MMA etc)

So far, I like the looks of Judo, BJJ, Muai Thai, or some kind of MMA training, but am not set on those styles and would consider others. Furthermore, I don't want to be broken by some 35 year old sexually repressed maniac trying to show me how to properly execute a flying armbar.
    Heh - that shouldn't be a problem. The people you need to worry about are the over-enthusiastic white belts who treat every spar as life or death. Normally easy enough to work out who those people are through observation, but generally if you're concerned about injury, the simply answer is to relax, tap early and tap often. Most of the injuries I've seen in my admittedly brief training so far (started Nov 06) have been due to misplaced pride, leading people to refuse to tap and thereby mess up a limb.

I live in Lodi, CA (yes make all the Creedance Clearwater references while you can). I have read all about the McDojo theory and it seems to be along the lines of my own thinking.
    Erm...you're in California, so aren't you the fortunate son? Something like that. Anyway, California has a lot of great BJJ (if thats the option you end up plumping for), so loads of choice. For example, in San Diego, there's all this.

Style
    Undecided
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot slideyfoot! And Just Guess, thanks for the recommendation, I've done some looking on online yellow pages for schools and never stumbled on that one. If I do go with Judo, how do I avoid the "competition" set of bad habits that people talk about around here. I know I'm probably not articulating this properly, but things like stopping after a "point" is scored and that type of thing. Or is Judo sparring different from TKD sparring in that regard?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I do go with Judo, how do I avoid the "competition" set of bad habits that people talk about around here. I know I'm probably not articulating this properly, but things like stopping after a "point" is scored and that type of thing. Or is Judo sparring different from TKD sparring in that regard?
    I'm not a judoka, but I think I can be fairly confident in saying that judo randori is nothing like TKD sparring. As in BJJ, muay thai, boxing, wrestling and other well-regarded styles on this site, judo provides an environment in which you can test your technique against a fully resisting opponent through sparring. That should help avoid the pitfalls of developing bad habits, as you'll be working with an opponent trying their best to prevent you from successfully applying your technique upon them.

However, best if a judoka answers your question: should hopefully be one of them on the thread shortly. :icon_wink

Style
    Undecided
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to sound ignorant, but a judoka is one who practices judo?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to sound ignorant, but a judoka is one who practices judo?
    Yes.

You could also check out the the Japanese MA subforum for more judo discussion, as well as the excellent grappling subforum on here.

Style
    Undecided
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there any Judo practitioners who can give there advice to someone considering their art?

Style
    Undecided
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hate to keep brining this up, but still looking for Judo practitioners to give some info... any out there?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last