Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 11:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kobayashi shorin ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Budokan Karate

Budokan Karate located in Midland, MI is by far the most traditional karate school in the tri- cities. The Lead instructor is Sensei Ragnar Avery 6th Dan given to him by hanshi Tadashi Yamashita, Yamashita is a foremost authority on budo and shorin ryu karate. There are 4 other instructors and 2 sempais who are all extremely knowledgeable and willing to help in any circumstance.
    The classes are very well rounded consisting of Striking Technique, Grappling Technique, self defense, kata, and sparring technique. There is alot of focus on actual contact at all times so during practice you will get hit. Most students do not begin sparring until yellow belt, the school has an excellent sparring team.
    This is a fantastic school with a great location anyone in the area pursuing training in karate should come here first. The only problem with the dojo might be size constraints. It is made of two small connected buildings. One room is mirrored and is mainly for form and warm up and the other room is matted for grappling and sparring. You soon forget about any size problems because classes are directed so well that they are broken up between the two rooms according to rank and what needs to be worked on. Overall the classes are alive with tradition and the instructors know there stuff the prices for instruction is by far the best in the area most local schools prices are in upwards of $75 a month. At Budokan karate they charge $30 for once a week and $40 for 2 times a week. Your pay 2 months at a time but there are no contracts like most schools in the area.
    Last edited by mantis42; 7/01/2008 5:43pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 9:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This may be a bit nit picky but the grappling instruction is NOT a 6.

From the website, http://yamashitabudokan.com/, the grappling instruction is limited to "self-defense" techniques, i.e., wrist grab, lapel grab, bear hug, etc, etc.

I do not imagine that anyone at your school competes in any local grappling competitions unless the wrestle outside of your school, thus, the "grappling" instruction is pretty much limited to one range so it is a 3-5 per the ratings.

Otherwise, good review, and thanks. Although, what competitions does your "competition team" compete in, and how do they do?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 10:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should have said in the review, it dosent say on the website but there is alot of BJJ work above green belt. Its not on the belt tests but they have alot of fun working with the BJJ and work with you on whatever you want to learn. As for competitions they compete in what ever comes around, Chung's school of praying mantis in the area puts on a huge sparring competition ounce in a while. And usually every year it comes down to Sensei Jack from budokan and Henry Chung of the mantis school. So they do pretty good.

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 11:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who teaches your club BJJ? And what are the rules in the sparring competitions?

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 12:39pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You keep saying 'ounce' instead of 'once'. I thought when you said "they charge $30 for ounce...", you meant an ounce of pot or something.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 5:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    Who teaches your club BJJ? And what are the rules in the sparring competitions?
    I know this is gonna sound ridiculous, they mostly study Gracie instructional videos but sensei Jeff Passage has alot of grappling background so he helps elaborate too. I don't base my whole score of grappling around this bit of play on BJJ, there is grappling in the system already.

And about the "Ounce" thing, i said it 1 time and i fixed it already.

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 6:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm..... without a more solid grappling instruction or presence in local grappling comps you should probably lower your grappling score a little. Also an 8 would be for a club who fights at a high level in full contact competitions.