233626 Bullies, 4002 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 12
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. foxguitar is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,545

    Posted On:
    6/28/2008 4:10pm


     Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    An honest question

    Im thinking of getting back in practicing , I hold a 2nd Dan in WTF TKD .
    I havent practiced in 13 yrs.

    The question I have , there is a kenpo school pretty close to me , Im 50 yrs old weigh 245 mostly muscle from heavy bodybuilding , (thus what I was doing for the last 13 years LOL)
    is Kenpo a difficult style to master for someone of my age and build.

    It seems like a very flowing style , Im used to old syle Shotokan and even with the WTF TKD I was more old style being I grew up when the there was still separate Kwans , Chung Do Kwan , Ji Do Kwan etc

    To me with no disrespect to the WTF style of TKD is more of a sport than a strict martial art .

    So Im trying to figure out which way to go . Try and and find ATA or ITF or a Tang Soo Do if I want to stay with TKD or try the Kenpo.

    Kenpo looks vastly different than what Im used to .

    And I know this may seem silly but when I started to train classes were 50 dollars a month , now theyre 150 a month with contracts so besides watching classes I m trying to get input from people who study Kenpo.

    And is there a difference from Kempo or Kenpo . Any input appreciated and much respect to all.
  2. Kentucky Fried Chokin is offline
    Kentucky Fried Chokin's Avatar

    Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,450

    Posted On:
    6/28/2008 5:04pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxguitar
    To me with no disrespect to the WTF style of TKD is more of a sport than a strict martial art .
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. I would edit this statement out of your OP to save yourself some headache.
  3. foxguitar is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,545

    Posted On:
    6/28/2008 5:18pm


     Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. I would edit this statement out of your OP to save yourself some headache.

    Im not saying it to be a dick , I got my 2nd dan in it , In Korea TKD is a sport their Martial Arts are Hapkido , and other arts .

    Im stating my opinion , people have a right to disagree . But I find alot of WTF schools are very olympic style sparring orientated and teach a very small amount of self defense of course there are exceptions. But Again Im not trying to be ass stating my own subjective opinion.
  4. 1point2 is online now
    1point2's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,148

    Posted On:
    6/28/2008 5:48pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Raz is making the point that to avoid getting jumped on, you should avoid knocking sport-oriented martial arts in general, since combat sports are highly effective martial training.

    On the flip side, while combat sports are good.............does WTF TKD count as a combat sport? I say...hesitantly yes. But that now starts a discussion about that, and look, now you're screwed with your original question.

    (Does playground tag count as a combat sport? j/k!)
  5. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    6/28/2008 5:57pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxguitar
    Im not saying it to be a dick , I got my 2nd dan in it , In Korea TKD is a sport their Martial Arts are Hapkido , and other arts .
    No it really isn't but okay.


    Im stating my opinion , people have a right to disagree . But I find alot of WTF schools are very olympic style sparring orientated and teach a very small amount of self defense of course there are exceptions. But Again Im not trying to be ass stating my own subjective opinion.
    This is why you were kicked out of the TKD forum. I'll make sure to let MAvz and Errant discuss this with you.
  6. Travtex is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    70

    Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:50am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anyone actually answer your main question, or just kick at you for the TKD/WTF stuff? (Har!)

    It depends on which ke?po you're dealing with. There's Shorinji Kempo, American Kenpo, Chuan Fah, etc., etc., etc.

    I've minimal exposure to American Kenpo (Ed Parker's system. There seems to be a school for that in every random place I've lived.) Can't say as I'd recommend it. I've only stood in on a couple of classes, then didn't look back.

    If you're looking for a way to get in shape, then look elsewhere. There's minimal cardio (The school I went to eats up about fifteen minutes of time with the obligatory stretching and bodyweight exercise, but it's not enough to get really winded. The training afterward was even less intensive).

    It'd definitely be -different- from what you're used to, if that's the main draw. AK has a pretty strict progression/curriculum. Very specific 'Learn these ten (Or whatever) techniques versus these specific attacks for yellow (etc) belt' sort of program.

    Shorinji Kempo is a different creature altogether.

    In the end, it's hard to judge just by the art in partiuclar. School/Teacher/Training Methods rule the day.
  7. foxguitar is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,545

    Posted On:
    7/14/2008 12:12pm


     Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travtex
    Did anyone actually answer your main question, or just kick at you for the TKD/WTF stuff? (Har!)

    It depends on which ke?po you're dealing with. There's Shorinji Kempo, American Kenpo, Chuan Fah, etc., etc., etc.

    I've minimal exposure to American Kenpo (Ed Parker's system. There seems to be a school for that in every random place I've lived.) Can't say as I'd recommend it. I've only stood in on a couple of classes, then didn't look back.

    If you're looking for a way to get in shape, then look elsewhere. There's minimal cardio (The school I went to eats up about fifteen minutes of time with the obligatory stretching and bodyweight exercise, but it's not enough to get really winded. The training afterward was even less intensive).

    It'd definitely be -different- from what you're used to, if that's the main draw. AK has a pretty strict progression/curriculum. Very specific 'Learn these ten (Or whatever) techniques versus these specific attacks for yellow (etc) belt' sort of program.

    Shorinji Kempo is a different creature altogether.

    In the end, it's hard to judge just by the art in partiuclar. School/Teacher/Training Methods rule the day.

    Thank you

    and no they never answered my question , to busy bitching about the WTF being too sports orientated , which by the way it is , it is taught in korea as a sport , they teach other martial arts such as Hapkido for self defense , cant confuse these cyber grandmasters with the facts.

    Anyway thank you , after looking at American Kenpo , I decided it wasnt for me , I found a good Shotokan school , which incidentally was my original style , I never archieved a Dan in Shotokan and I thought I would love to finally finish what i started so long ago .

    I took the kenpo class , it was ok , but like I said not what I was looking for . The Shotokan classes were more of what I needed.

    But seriously thank you for answering my original question.
  8. Nathan McScary is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    468

    Posted On:
    7/21/2008 6:54pm


     Style: Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually had an instructor once who went into kenpo just because of his age. He was in his late forties and didn't even start doing martial arts until he was 42. It could be said that kenpo is a good martial art for older martial artists on account of there are very few high kicks and most of the techniques are short bursts used to end an attack quickly.
  9. cuatro76 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    928

    Posted On:
    7/21/2008 7:02pm


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want a good striking art that will get you in shape, why not Muay Thai? You'll get 10 times more in shape than with a ke?po school.
  10. Nathan McScary is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    468

    Posted On:
    7/21/2008 8:22pm


     Style: Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    If you want a good striking art that will get you in shape, why not Muay Thai? You'll get 10 times more in shape than with a ke?po school.
    Hmm...Muay Thai seems a little extreme in terms of wear and tear on the body to be ideal for someone 50 years old who weighs almost 250 and is just looking to get back into shape IMO.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.