Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sauna or Swimming

Where I train BJJ I have the choice of having a Sauna and/or a quick dip in the ultra cold Pool after training.

What do you think would be best for helping prevent sore/aching muscles the next day? I thought it would have been the cold water but someone at work keeps telling me it's a sauna and I've started doubting.

So what do you think?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go for a swim. I've heard cold water is good for muscles after a hard workout.

EDIT: And because saunas are fucking boring. I don't know how people do that.
    Last edited by BudoMonkey; 6/27/2008 11:39am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing conclusive here, but I think you might find it interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_soreness

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't do anything that takes more water out of my muscles.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right. I don't know how on earth going to the sauna would be a good idea.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I vote swim .

I swim every chance I get , as long as it isn't in a public pool or the staph infected lake which used to a thriving valley community before they dammed it .

Swimming just makes me feel good . Well honestly it gets me high as hell . I hear runners talk about how endurance running gets them high . One hundred meters of freestyle or breaststroke and then some free time to just swim and float will get me content , happy, and giddy through out the next day .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

and good morning to you too supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fucking both. hot-cold-hot-cold is better for recovery than either alone.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Fucking both. hot-cold-hot-cold is better for recovery than either alone.
    Swim first tho ... it will make me feel better if you do .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a big fan of saunas because it cleans out my pores and makes me feel great. It is cleansing.
    As for muscle soreness, I am guessing that a cold swim would serve you better, though.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For rugby in sixth form when we toured SA and had a group of big games in a relatively short space of time we had ice baths after the game.

I found it actually helped somewhat with muscle soreness but in general it was best at just removing the odd niggle you had picked up in the game.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    removing the odd niggle

No need to get all Dr.Seuss on us. What the hell is an odd niggle?

EDIT- Actually, it sounds more like a term the main character from 'clockwork orange' would use.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last