Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 3:13pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The basic answer is that your body needs to rebuild muscle after you've made microscopic tears in it from your exercise. It needs carbs to fuel protein synthesis. The recommendation typically given is to consume something in a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein following exercise.

For instance - 2% chocolate milk. :)

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 3:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that milk has been mentioned, we can have the "fast absorbing vs. slow absorbing" relay race.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 3:32pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Now that milk has been mentioned, we can have the "fast absorbing vs. slow absorbing" relay race.

Fantastic. And I can continue to pretend to understand.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 4:00pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Insulin increases acute nutrient storage – not so hot for fats, but great for amino acids and other muscle substrates. Straight up glucose also replaces muscle glycogen (just stored sugar), which is depleted during exercise. You've got a two hour window (some say less) where sugar goes straight to your big, manly muscles. Fructose replaces liver glycogen.

Insulin is also the trigger for a number of anabolic hormonal factors. Timing insulin release properly goes a long way toward maximizing your training results.

Some diets will have you avoiding all carbs for extended periods of time, but that has more to do with
    reducing insulin output than actually trying to get bring muscle glcogen down (no reason to).

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 4:51pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fad diets are confusing. What I mean is, I make a shake with fresh strawberries, cherries, bananas, grapes, and OJ, seeing as it's summer time. On one hand, some books would say "oh noes!!inflammation!!!", on the other "fresh fruit, the human body is like an ape- great!!".

Anyway, what is the consensus on a drink like that ("smoothie") with fresh ingredients and no corn syrup?
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 4:54pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That reminds me: Coke doesn't have glucose. They switched to cheaper high-fructose corn syrup years ago. There's nothing good about it, but plenty bad.

Fun fact: Kosher for Passover Coke uses actual glucose because God also hates HF corn syrup.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    ...because seriously, I don't get it.

I've read that it's good to spike your insulin level by eating something sweet immediately after a workout, but why? Apparently Jay Cutler drinks a can of regular Coke, but then again, he's fucking Jay Cutler. I've been gnawing on a piece of fruit leather and just drinking a protein shake just to try and see if this works (haven't done it long enough to notice anything).

How effectively does this help recovery and prevent catabolism? Will it even make a difference to someone who's not training at a similar level as someone like Cutler?
    You have to remember that Cutler has been going at it for years. In his book, Ronnie Coleman says something to the nature that it takes years to condition the body to the type of workouts he does (and for the body to better adapt.) Cuttler et all are also focused on gaining obscene amounts of mass. Their mass and the type of workouts (high volume, training to failure) and the way their muscles grow (with help from the S vitamin) makes it necessary for them to take a lot more glucose (and just about anything for that matter) than someone that is not training to be a bodybuilder.

Everything they do is not just to recover, but to nourish the larger-than-natural amounts of muscles they pack.

The need for glucose, and insulin to be more precise was better explained by RM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang!
    Insulin increases acute nutrient storage not so hot for fats, but great for amino acids and other muscle substrates. Straight up glucose also replaces muscle glycogen (just stored sugar), which is depleted during exercise. You've got a two hour window (some say less) where sugar goes straight to your big, manly muscles. Fructose replaces liver glycogen.

Insulin is also the trigger for a number of anabolic hormonal factors. Timing insulin release properly goes a long way toward maximizing your training results.

Some diets will have you avoiding all carbs for extended periods of time, but that has more to do with
    reducing insulin output than actually trying to get bring muscle glcogen down (no reason to).

We all need to spike insulin levels, but some needed more than others (specially if those aiming to pack and maintain significant amounts of mass.)

[edit]

Another reason to refuel your glucose and glycogen stores after training is that, if your body perceives a lack of energy reserves and its trying to recover from physical exertion, the body starts the process of gluconeogenesis: the body produces cortisol, which which chews the **** out of your muscles into amino acids. These then are turn into glucose in the liver. It will not turn to fat for energy despite what people think.

The body is in a state of exhaustion and perceives that it's out of glucose and glycogen and will seek the faster route to replenish its gas thank. It will begin to do this as a defense mechanism. A throwback self defense mechanism when our hungry ancestors used to poke mammoths with spears and other pointy ****. It gave them the extra oooomp needed to haul ass in case a fucking saber tooth showed in the neighborhood unexpected.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 6/26/2008 5:18pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 7:05pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    Fad diets are confusing. What I mean is, I make a shake with fresh strawberries, cherries, bananas, grapes, and OJ, seeing as it's summer time. On one hand, some books would say "oh noes!!inflammation!!!", on the other "fresh fruit, the human body is like an ape- great!!".

Anyway, what is the consensus on a drink like that ("smoothie") with fresh ingredients and no corn syrup?
    It's absolutely choice. I'm lazy so I just do protein powder and gatorade now. I used to do lots of natural shakes. One of my favorites had vanilla protein, ice cream, 100% cacao chocolate and espresso beans. Another one had coconut and fruit and some other stuff. I generally try to get about 60g carbs 50g protein after a workout. It also helps me in successive workouts, like right now when I just did 10 rounds on the bag, had a shake, and will now run 4 miles, and have a shake, then eat in about 2 hrs.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 7:25pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an article somewhere at home about the benefits of chocolate milk as opposed to other "recovery Drinks" post workout. The chocolate milk did stack up surprisingly well, from memory.

I'll try and dig up the article over the weekend.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 8:34pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Chocolate milk wins. :laughing5
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast