Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Explaining MMA to non MAers

How do you guys explain what MMA is to non-MAers?
    I mean: mixed martial arts - people probably think that means karate and kung fu. Plus submission wrestling sounds a little odd to people not in the know.
    Iím thinking that it's probably easier to call it sport fighting than MMA, this way you can stop the person making any mental associations with people in fancy pyjamas.
    I normally try mentioning UFC, but most of the general public (at least in the UK) is still clueless to it.

If anybody has managed to develop a brief, succinct way to communicate MMA to a non-MAer, I would be most grateful. It has to be simple - for the alcohol-impaired mind.

X

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "We punch and kick each other in the head for a while. Then, if that doesn't work, we try to strangle each other unconscious or break some bones and stuff. And, oh yeah, we really like wearing tight swimming trunks. Shoes are optional."
    Last edited by LLL; 12/02/2003 1:08pm at .

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 11:20am

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just tell people it's overgrown boys rubbing up and trying to submit each other. lol.

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 12:55pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here you go:

MMA is a sport in which martial artists of all backgrounds, including even boxing and wrestling, compete under limited rules to see who's fighting skills are greater.

Unfortunately, many martial artists do not compete in the sport, citing excuses as to why they would not be successful for reasons other than their simple lack of practical skills due to poor training practices and unrealistic fighting concepts.

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 1:03pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff.

Seems a lot of you boys in England are clueless. :D
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 1:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its very difficult but your explanation is good.

The next thing is when they see it they say "violent", "brutal"...Even the boxing fans say this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "MMA is a sport in which martial artists of all backgrounds, including even boxing and wrestling, compete under limited rules to see who's fighting skills are greater.

Unfortunately, many martial artists do not compete in the sport, citing excuses as to why they would not be successful for reasons other than their simple lack of practical skills due to poor training practices and unrealistic fighting concepts."

Thanks Phrost, that's great.
    Wait till I try and recite it to somebody - probably a random person in a pub, I can't imagine it coming out quite as elegantly :)

"We punch and kick each other in the head for a while. Then, if that doesn't work, we try to strangle each other unconscious or break some bones and stuff. And, oh yeah, we really like wearing tight swimming trunks. Shoes are optional."

Lol, that's also good.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For people who really are clueless about MA, I say something like, "It's like kickboxing, only you're also allowed to wrestle the guy on the ground and use chokes and stuff."

Regards,
    Matt

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 5:18pm

Style: ?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with Matt's explanation.

I once explained it to a girl at work like this;

'It is a sport just like kickboxing, but they allow grappling & wrestling techniques as well. It is a proper sport today with weight classes and gloves, but when it started out it had no rules'.

by this they get a good understanding of what is allowed, and you downplay the barbarism, slightly, which is important if you want to be taken seriously by workmates. There's nothing worse than being called 'that guy into all that bloodsport stuff', when MMA is truly about high level athletic MA competition.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 10:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, I play it up when I'm explaining it. I'm all "no-rules steel-caged deathmatching", and they always say something to the effct of "Oh, you mean America?"
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon