Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/13/2014 10:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sifu Chris Collins, Wing Chun, Judo and BJJ

Hi,

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread. Anyway, I've seen there's a lot of hate around here against traditional martial arts. And I wanted to share my opinion.

I've been doing Judo and Wing Chun for about 6 years, and I just started BJJ. I also did some kickboxing some time ago (didn't enjoy it much. too rough on my nose). I do martial arts cause I enjoy them, they help me stay in shape, I have fun and I make a lot of friends. I've never got into a fight and I hope I never have to. But I strongly believe that everything you learn, if it requires skill, it will be usefull somehow (not necessarily for fighting). For instance, Van Damme got his flexibility from ballet dancing.

I'm asthmatic and I can assure you that my health has improved a lot thanks to qi gong, wing chun, judo and weightlifting. And that is why I practice martial arts. I know I can't beat up anybody with my Chun, but neither could I when I practiced Kickboxing, but that's because I'm a bad fighter. I'm not trying to be t badass kickass mofo, I'm just trying to become stronger and improve my health and be the best I can be. So I'm tired of hearing people bash wing chun and other traditional martial arts. I don't know if they are effective in a fight, but they are beneficial in many ways and that's enough for me.

This being said, i'd like to ask your opinion about this particular wing chun sifu. He is a former marine and has trained in boxing, wrestling, BJJ, Eskrima and Wing chun. **** he even teaches his students how to shoot rifles and ****.

I'm a new member so I can't post links, so just google "Chris Collins action" please.

Posted On:
    12/13/2014 2:36pm

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoWingChunner View Post
    Hi,

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread. Anyway, I've seen there's a lot of hate around here against traditional martial arts. And I wanted to share my opinion.

I've been doing Judo and Wing Chun for about 6 years, and I just started BJJ. I also did some kickboxing some time ago (didn't enjoy it much. too rough on my nose). I do martial arts cause I enjoy them, they help me stay in shape, I have fun and I make a lot of friends. I've never got into a fight and I hope I never have to. But I strongly believe that everything you learn, if it requires skill, it will be usefull somehow (not necessarily for fighting). For instance, Van Damme got his flexibility from ballet dancing.

I'm asthmatic and I can assure you that my health has improved a lot thanks to qi gong, wing chun, judo and weightlifting. And that is why I practice martial arts. I know I can't beat up anybody with my Chun, but neither could I when I practiced Kickboxing, but that's because I'm a bad fighter. I'm not trying to be t badass kickass mofo, I'm just trying to become stronger and improve my health and be the best I can be. So I'm tired of hearing people bash wing chun and other traditional martial arts. I don't know if they are effective in a fight, but they are beneficial in many ways and that's enough for me.

This being said, i'd like to ask your opinion about this particular wing chun sifu. He is a former marine and has trained in boxing, wrestling, BJJ, Eskrima and Wing chun. **** he even teaches his students how to shoot rifles and ****.

I'm a new member so I can't post links, so just google "Chris Collins action" please.
    Training MA for fitness and health is absolutely fine, even if you're not confident that it'll help you in a real fight. At least you're honest about this which many blokes aren't. However don't expect others not to question it, it's like driving a race car only to learn how to be a mechanic, rather than to win the actual race.

About Bullshido's negativity towards trad arts, have a read around fella, Bullshido is keen on what's effective regardless of it's age. Arts like Muay Thai, wrestling and some Karate are extremely old but go down well. Some newish arts like Krav or Systema are generally laughed at.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Bullshido Administrator

Posted On:
    12/13/2014 3:30pm

staff
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moving this to the Chinese Martial Arts Forum, hopefully they can help you.

Additionally, cleaning up the garbage posts.

Posted On:
    12/13/2014 3:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Moving this to the Chinese Martial Arts Forum, hopefully they can help you.

Additionally, cleaning up the garbage posts.
    Ok, Thanks. I guess it fits better here.

Posted On:
    12/14/2014 6:52am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Training MA for fitness and health is absolutely fine, even if you're not confident that it'll help you in a real fight. At least you're honest about this which many blokes aren't. However don't expect others not to question it, it's like driving a race car only to learn how to be a mechanic, rather than to win the actual race.

About Bullshido's negativity towards trad arts, have a read around fella, Bullshido is keen on what's effective regardless of it's age. Arts like Muay Thai, wrestling and some Karate are extremely old but go down well. Some newish arts like Krav or Systema are generally laughed at.
    Seems reasonable. I'd like to drive my race car at my own pace and not to be challenged by other race car owners XD, nevertheless I understand what you're trying to say.

What about people's opinion on Chris Collins (from Chris Collins action). I haven't received any comments on that yet. I don't train in the same variety of wing chun as him (I think he does Leung Ting's modified Wing Tsun). Anyhow, he's one of the main reasons I kept doing Wing Chun.

As I said before I can't post links yet, so just google "Chris Collins action", please, and have a look around the website, some videos are quite interesting.

Fear is the only darkness.

Posted On:
    12/15/2014 1:10am

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoWingChunner View Post
    Hi,

It's not "hate". It's only expectation.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    12/15/2014 1:00pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which opinions are you looking for? If you don't care about fighting application, then what do you care about?
    Last edited by Scott Larson; 12/15/2014 1:06pm at .

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/15/2014 1:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am generally incredulous regarding people who have 15 years into multiple systems and are experts/masters etc., have interpreted stuff on their own and built their own system.

This is not a personal criticism of Mr. Collins, just a general observation.

It is based on my own experience in Judo. I've been in Judo, actively, for about 33 years now.

I'm no master of Judo, and if I called myself such I'd get laughed out of Judo. That's just ONE martial art/way, that focuses on grappling. Let alone sticks, knives, striking, and grappling, and the integration of striking, grappling, and weapons.

So anytime I see claims regarding mastery of multiple martial arts, it makes me wonder.

Not impossible, just puzzling.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    12/15/2014 1:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    $1200 per month is absolutely ridiculous. Huge red flag.
    He's in Hong Kong, and I saw references to "white collar" mma, and "getting in shape, reducing stress".

That sort of appeal is usually commercial in nature (nothing wrong with it, IMO, either) in general.

Travels around the world giving seminars, too...
    Last edited by BKR; 12/15/2014 1:29pm at .

Posted On:
    12/15/2014 1:08pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see what his teaching qualifications are in BJJ (jiu jitsu). OP mentioned Judo, but I don't see that on his web site so far.

He claims to have been a US Marine (I'm assuming US), but nothing about his military service so far.

Same thing for the tactical/firearms training he does...not much there on his background/qualifications to do so.

Found a picture of him in a BJJ type uniform with a light purple belt on. Nothing on his lineage there, though.

" BJJ at CCA

At CCA, we combine the skills as learned and experienced by Sifu Chris Collins in Greco Roman Wrestling, Catch Wrestling and Brazillian Jiu Jitsu.

In simple terms, at CCA you will learn an aggressive method of pinning your opponent using power and explosiveness, focusing on top control by way of the upper and lower torso, using Greco Roman style wrestling. We combine the “Catch as catch can” wrestling methods of British and American history, dating back to the days of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt, with the methods mentioned previously in Brazillian Jiu jitsu, giving you a well rounded ground strategy."
    Last edited by BKR; 12/15/2014 1:21pm at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast