Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/07/2014 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cannabis as a dit da jow herb

Note: although this thread pertains to cannabis, a substance illegal in many areas, this is meant to be a historical/medicinal discussion, not "can I make jow that gets me high?".

I recently started making a new gallon of dit da jow and was doing more research on herbs etc, and a question occurred to me: was cannabis, a plant used medicinally for 2,000 years in Chinese medicine, added to jow formulas?

In China, cannabis was recorded as an anaesthetic by Hua Tuo, who noted it could be powdered and mixed with wine to relieve surgery pain. Given its solubility in alcohol and pain relieving qualities, it seems like a natural choice for a dit da jow admixture. Perhaps this was one of those closely guarded secret ingredients jow salesmen mention? There are topical cannabis creams etc that reduce inflammation and pain (and don't make you high).

I haven't really found any information about it online, but it may be one of those things people keep on the DL due to legal concerns and/or martial arts general outward conservatism. Any thoughts on this subject?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2014 11:48am

supporting member
     Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't say whether or not it was used in any traditional dit da jow, but I have used it externally for joint pain (arthritis and Lupus). I used an alcohol-based tincture, It was very effective, but did get into my system and make me high. So, probably not what most Martial Artists would want to use. I also noted that my skin had a spicy smell to it at the application site (not at all like cannabis, but reminiscent of a jow that I had used as a teen). The next day however, my skin smelt like burnt rubber. May have been the alcohol(I used Everclear to make the tincture), but it did concern me that it might be damaging the skin.

Note Bene: I should mention that I made this preparation under Colorado's Medical Cannabis Laws, for my personal use.
    Last edited by Speaks Softly; 10/08/2014 11:53am at . Reason: added disclaimer

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    10/08/2014 12:52pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard things about a number of "mixtures" available from various places...Chinatown to the local Asian food market, that may indeed contain trace elements of the stuff, mostly because these products are imports and not regulated by the FDA.

Just look at what happened with ma huang (English: yellow hemp), and how long people used that to lose weight etc, flying under the radar until people's hearts started exploding. At that point the government stepped in and stopped it. Now, this is probably not nearly as dangerous, and given it's current quasi-legal status depending on jurisdiction, probably isn't nearly as problematic as, say, putting ma huang in your mixture (something that could get you in far more serious trouble in 2014 than 2004). In China, it's been used since the Stone Age.

There are all sorts of active herbs and chemicals available from the local Asian grocer, and why nowadays you're far more likely to find a Nutrition Label etc on these things than ever before, whether it's a consumable or a liniment. OTC liniments nowadays have to mention what they contain (camphor, methol etc)...a lot has changed since ma huang.

From a jow POV, it's like Forrest's box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get unless you make it yourself, or the person mixing your jow is 100% open about their ingredients. Obviously anybody doing this alongside a professional practice is probably VERY careful to avoid "magic" ingredients of any kind, so chances are you'd this kind of thing in homemade jows, as opposed to online or "brand" name jows.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/08/2014 12:58pm at .

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/08/2014 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can ask my acupuncturist, as he might know, but i just had a session and won't see him for another month or so.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    10/08/2014 1:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ma Huang is ephedra, "yellow hemp" is a literal translation.
    Yes, stfu wabbit.

Cannabis sativa is in the purgatives section of the Materia Medica, so I wouldn't expect it to be in any traditional dit dar jows, though it might be in any number of jows or formulae used for other purposes, like constipation.

Posted On:
    10/08/2014 3:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be clear, my version only has a listing for the seeds and not the herbal matter.
    Hopefully Dale or Plum will chime in.

I have an older one of these:
    http://www.eastlandpress.com/books/c...rd_edition.php

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/08/2014 3:36pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a very high level technical question here. I will understand if you can't answer it.

The **** is a dit da jow?

Posted On:
    10/08/2014 3:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I have a very high level technical question here. I will understand if you can't answer it.

The **** is a dit da jow?
    Basically it's an aged brew of alcohol and herbs.

It's the common name for ancient Chinese liniment mixes used for essentially the same purposes as alcohol rub/icyhot, etc. Reduces swelling, promotes healing etc, and has some antimicrobial/antiseptic properties due to the (often) large concentration of ethyl alcohol (I've seen it made with gin or vodka).

Dit means to drop/fall, da is the same as in San da (hit or fight), jow means alcohol/spirits, or "medicine" (slang, I think).

There are some you can drink (?), but most are poisonous.

Typically you'd use this stuff before/after any kind of conditioning or striking that damages or causes swelling to the hands/arms, like sparring, heavy bag training, iron palm. I even used it for my wife's lower back pain once before she got a TENS unit and started acupuncture.

Dale is probably the best resource on BS.net with regards to making/using the stuff and he sells a wide variety online.

http://www.daledugasherbs.com/
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/08/2014 3:56pm at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/08/2014 3:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Word.

Posted On:
    10/08/2014 3:58pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Word.
    Also sometimes called "Kung Fu Cologne" because it usually smells like old sweaty socks dipped in vinegar.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast