Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2015 8:14pm

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!

2015 USKSF tournament

So are any other members attending this year? My son and I will be there as spectators on Saturday.
    Last edited by frenchie88; 6/30/2015 8:15pm at . Reason: punctuation

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2015 11:03am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will be there with a vending table.

Come say hi. You cannot miss me. Im 6'2" with a shaved head and table full of liquid herb goodness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2015 11:11am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2015 9:41pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the lei tai was well worth it. And Dale is even bigger in person.

Posted On:
    7/26/2015 10:20pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was there.

My DNA still is.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2015 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I was there.

My DNA still is.
    something something moist toilette.

Just kidding big fella, Lei Tai? How'd you go?
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    7/27/2015 2:49am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    something something moist toilette.

Just kidding big fella, Lei Tai? How'd you go?
    I took I-76 and I-83 with a short connecting jaunt through Lancaster.

Seriously though they have 57 fights to upload and half are already online. Mine are #35 and #56.

I lost the first and won the second by forfeit, and so took third place for my division (only 4 in my weight class this year).

I was paired with my si dai (junior brother under an instructor from my old Hung ga school). He did great. Our families hung out in Starbucks for a while today with the guy who took 1st place (that guy is a human Godzilla, but one of the most soulful martial artists I have ever met.).

First fight was called in the second round for my brother, due to a nasty gash above my left eye that wouldn't stop bleeding...got cut by a plastic binding in the headgear. I had taped up the inside but missed these little plastic thingies.

I really wanted to finish the round, but that's life. Second fight would be for 3rd or 4th but not unless I got the cut taken care of.

Opponent's instructor, Sharif Bey, who is my si suk (junior brother to my sifu), helped me glue and butterfly the cut along with help from my adoptive corner team, led by the very excellent Nelson Ferreira and his likewise excellent crew of fighters from Zhong Yi Kung Fu Association.

Eye patched up, prepared for second fight, which was not to happen unfortunately, but probably in the best safety interests of my second opponent.

Dale was great and helped keep my kids amused while making excellent pitches for various jows, one of which I'm reeking of right at this moment.

I made Auslander laugh. I might have just looked funny with my eye all busted up. I look goofy enough without it.

My youngest tried desperately to get me buy real nunchaku for him. That sure brought me back to the good old days.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/27/2015 2:56am at .

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/27/2015 8:12am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First fight was called in the second round for my brother, due to a nasty gash above my left eye that wouldn't stop bleeding...got cut by a plastic binding in the headgear. I had taped up the inside but missed these little plastic thingies.
    those stupid helmets are responsible for most of the injuries on the lei tai. the fact that they refuse to reconsider their protective gear is the single biggest flaw with that tournament. boxing headgear (with cheek protection) and amateur MMA gloves would improve that experience by 1000%.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    7/27/2015 9:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ blue, judo ikkyu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they have 57 fights to upload and half are already online. Mine are #35 and #56.
    Do you have the URL where they upload the fights? I don't see individual fight videos from 2015 at http://usksf.org/videos/ nor https://www.youtube.com/user/USKSF/feed
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    7/27/2015 11:11am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    those stupid helmets are responsible for most of the injuries on the lei tai. the fact that they refuse to reconsider their protective gear is the single biggest flaw with that tournament. boxing headgear (with cheek protection) and amateur MMA gloves would improve that experience by 1000%.
    Funny I brought boxing headgear but it would not have been acceptable. I taped up so much surface in that helmet Ming based on what you and others had warned me about...and these little impossible to notice plastic straps inside sawed right through. When Sisuk Bey saw the cut and made the "ooh, damn!" face, I knew it was stitches or glue. There was no time for stitches...

Opponent's mom (awesome lady, EMT) gave me some mole skin to put in the helmet during the next prep. They relaxed restrictions on gloves this year, because many gloves were failing. A lot of people are switching to 4-6 oz MMA gear to avoid flayed knuckles....I went with my old Hung ga gloves and taping just below the first knuckle which was OK.

The helmet was...interesting. Made it easier to eat strikes from opponent (a bigger, better guy than I), but man I lost sight of him so many times I ended up eating a few I didn't have to.

Getting hit in that helmet was disorienting and reacquiring became difficult so I switched early on from trying to box it out to just getting inside. Brother got a lot of early points from punches so I needed some throws off the platform so that's where I went.

You'll see in the video I was able to get inside a few times and clinch might have gotten close to a throw off, tried a sacrifice throw but lost balance, so no points. I felt within the first round he had better timing, and was a lot stronger. Honestly I don't get many opps to spar guys bigger and heavier than me...was hoping for a lighter guy maybe 220...not to be. I was the smallest fish in the division at 240 (I gained about 10bs for the fight..lots of chicken wings).

Was outclassed in just about every category (brother was younger, heavier, trained more), but wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Pretty sure it all came down to training volume, #1 trained for years specifically for this, including with UFC fighters and is going pro. #2 trained about 3x my own frequency and specifically for the tournament.

My training in the last year has been impacted by work and life, but I couldn't miss this year...next year I will be 40 and it will be my last chance.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/27/2015 11:35am at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast