Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    38
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    First day of bājqun coming up

    On August 8th, I've got a private lesson lined up at a wushu academy about 2 hours from me in Tulsa, OK. It's the Luohan Wushu Academy. They offer bājqun instruction.

    I'm a bit nervous, this will be the first time I've done real Chinese martial arts. The closest I came was a Yang-style Taijiquan class when I was a teenager that was more about me coming in early and the sifu teaching me Shorin-ryu karate before the class started, and doing a few months of training with a jeet kune do practitioner who fought in the under-18 junior Ironweights when he was younger. All I've really done beforehand has been a couple of styles of karate, jujitsu, and boxing.

    Does anyone know anything about the school? And aside from the usual stuff I think I need to expect from a CMA lesson (Stances, legwork, stretching, I'm guessing), is there anything specific with bāj? I've been enamored with it for several years, and I've finally found a place that offers it.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    38
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Update

    For some reason, it ended up taking a while for my post to be checked before it got posted. In that time, my class got moved up a week, and I did it on Saturday. It was excellent. My new sifu went over 4 basic moves and some applications. He detailed cross and reeling energy, and big and small "chn," while of course critiquing my stances, pivoting, and zhnjiăo.

    I was nervous as hell, but it turned out to be one of the best introductory lessons I've ever had. For the time being, I'll be doing one a month, as the school is 109 miles away from me.

  3. #3
    Scott Larson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,830
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like a decent school at least from the website. I'm interested in hearing more about it. Please report back with your experiences.

  4. #4
    Scott Larson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,830
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to hear. I know it is tough when you have to travel. My baji teacher is 100 miles away too.

    Was the training like you expected it to be? Was it difficult to get accustomed to the difference in style? Do you know the what variation of Baji it is?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    38
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    Good to hear. I know it is tough when you have to travel. My baji teacher is 100 miles away too.

    Was the training like you expected it to be? Was it difficult to get accustomed to the difference in style? Do you know the what variation of Baji it is?
    I didn't know what to expect, honestly. I expected it to be very tough, which it was in its own way, but I think I've seen too many Hong Kong kung fu movies.

    Coming from the upright and proud postures of karate, I found it pretty hard to relax. My chest was sticking out like a karateka, and I was definitely very blocky in my movements. My teacher was able to show me what I did wrong and how to fix it, so I've spent at least an hour a day since working on that. Also, the balance is very different, and Mandarin is trickier than Japanese.

    As for the variation, I think it's the newer, prettier wushu style, which has its ups and downs. Looks a lot like this, especially the palms.

    Requires Flash Player

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    38
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In case that didn't work, https://youtu.be/lZqdb5fyc2M

    Still learning the BB code.

  7. #7
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    8,859
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the update and your BB code seemed to have worked fine... which is impressive. I still can't get videos to work correctly all the time.

    I didn't see Baji on the class schedule or any mention of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    38
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Thanks for the update and your BB code seemed to have worked fine... which is impressive. I still can't get videos to work correctly all the time.

    I didn't see Baji on the class schedule or any mention of it.
    Excellent, wish I could see it on my phone! Android can't show Flash videos.

    Check under "Education" and then "Styles." http://www.luohanwushu.com/education/styles/

    I didn't see it on there before, either, I called and asked if he offered it. The Center does a demo at Tulsa's Lunar New Year every year, mainly Tij, but I figured, hey, Bāj and Tij are very interrelated, maybe he can at least offer a substitute or point me in the right direction.

    I'm considering in the future learning from other Bāj instructors, maybe even making a trip to Mngcūn. I'm going to my teacher about tournaments with combat, and in January, I might have a minor windfall. If that is the case, I'm gonna be crosstraining at a more local school, because I want to compete. I always got fucked out of it in the past, and, let's face it, CMA is much cooler than the karate, hahaha. I'll upload videos as soon as I have videos to upload.

  9. #9
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    8,859
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DicaxStultux View Post
    Excellent, wish I could see it on my phone! Android can't show Flash videos.

    Check under "Education" and then "Styles." http://www.luohanwushu.com/education/styles/

    I didn't see it on there before, either, I called and asked if he offered it. The Center does a demo at Tulsa's Lunar New Year every year, mainly Tij, but I figured, hey, Bāj and Tij are very interrelated, maybe he can at least offer a substitute or point me in the right direction.

    I'm considering in the future learning from other Bāj instructors, maybe even making a trip to Mngcūn. I'm going to my teacher about tournaments with combat, and in January, I might have a minor windfall. If that is the case, I'm gonna be crosstraining at a more local school, because I want to compete. I always got fucked out of it in the past, and, let's face it, CMA is much cooler than the karate, hahaha. I'll upload videos as soon as I have videos to upload.
    Hahaha! Well there it is. I no interweb good today it seems.

    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

  10. #10
    Scott Larson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,830
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DicaxStultux View Post
    I didn't know what to expect, honestly. I expected it to be very tough, which it was in its own way, but I think I've seen too many Hong Kong kung fu movies.

    Coming from the upright and proud postures of karate, I found it pretty hard to relax. My chest was sticking out like a karateka, and I was definitely very blocky in my movements. My teacher was able to show me what I did wrong and how to fix it, so I've spent at least an hour a day since working on that. Also, the balance is very different, and Mandarin is trickier than Japanese.

    As for the variation, I think it's the newer, prettier wushu style, which has its ups and downs. Looks a lot like this, especially the palms.

    Requires Flash Player
    Makes sense given the instructors background. Well, keep up the good work.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO