Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 10:35pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Team Vaghi BJJ: They Only BJJ School I Can Find Around St. Louis

After a long search I have found out that a man by the name of Rodrigo Vaghi is teaching BJJ in Fenton, MO. which is no more than a 20 min. drive from my house.

According to his site, http://submissionjiujitsu.com/
    ,he learned BJJ in Brazil directly from Rickson Gracie himself, so I can without a doubt know he is pretty damn good. His school also teaches MMA, Muay Thai and boxing, which to me is icing on an already tantalizing cake of martial arts goodness.

I am interested in taking classes there, but I cant find what the monthly dues are at his school. I assume they will be quite high, since he is, if I remember correctly, the only qualified teacher of Gracie JJ in the St. louis area. I did call the place today and left a message asking about the price so I hope I'll get a reply soon. I just hope I won't have to take out a loan just to train there. If it's too high, I guess I'll just have to save up. Every penny's worth it, though, because it looks like an awesome school!

Though my judo teach won't like the idea when I break it to him I'm interested in learning BJJ (He's not a big fan of BJJ, MMA, etc.), I hope he will understand that I am at the point in life where I am young, but old enough to decide things for myself, and want to learn as much about different things as I can by experiencing them.

Well, that's all I have to say about that.

To the people of Bullshido:

Is Rodrigo Vaghi a well known BJJer? If so, what can you say about his abilities as a Grappler/ fighter/ teacher?

Has anybody here trained with Rodrigo? Are you a current student of his? If so, what are his classes like? (Good, bad, average, etc.)

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me before I experience "The Mighty Jitsu" ?

Thanks everybody,

ZoA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 11:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's listed on Rickson's website as one of his official reps, so he's not a fraud.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 1:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *UPDATE*

Just got a call from Vaghi. His classes cost less than I thought! It's only 85$/mo. for 3 nights a week for BJJ or Muay Thai and only 100$/mo. for 5 days a week (35$ to register, but that's a one time payment). I'm definitely going to check his place out now. I'm so glad I can actually afford it!
    Last edited by ZenOfAnger; 7/06/2008 1:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 2:39pm

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train at Rolla with one of his brown belts (who just graduated), and one of his recently promoted blue belts. They're both outstanding grapplers (both placed highly at NAGA, and the brown got third in absolute, behind Jeff Monson and another guy) and great guys, to boot. I've heard nothing but good things about all of his schools and students.

As for how his classes are run, the brown belt commonly had us go through common exercises (pushups, bear crawls, hip-ups), then had us hit lots of reps on common submissions, taught something new, then had us roll. Very little time for rest, so be prepared, and bring water.

I've also heard that his BJJ is all gi, but I haven't trained at his school proper.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 3:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdavy
    I train at Rolla with one of his brown belts (who just graduated), and one of his recently promoted blue belts. They're both outstanding grapplers (both placed highly at NAGA, and the brown got third in absolute, behind Jeff Monson and another guy) and great guys, to boot. I've heard nothing but good things about all of his schools and students.

As for how his classes are run, the brown belt commonly had us go through common exercises (pushups, bear crawls, hip-ups), then had us hit lots of reps on common submissions, taught something new, then had us roll. Very little time for rest, so be prepared, and bring water.

I've also heard that his BJJ is all gi, but I haven't trained at his school proper.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
    Thanks for responding and for the info. I think I'll try a class there later on this summer, but first, I have a commitment to first get my BB in TKD. After that, I plan to dedicate the majority of my MA training to learning judo and BJJ. I already love judo, so I think the BJJ will help compliment it, and will make me a well-rounded martial artist.

Thanks guys.

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 10:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *UPDATE*

Well, I talked to my judo teach this past Thursday about how I am interested in other martial arts, and all I have to say he was not happy. I have now found out he really HATES ANYTHING other than our school's martial arts (HKD, judo, TKD). He was so infuriated he went on a rant about how muay thai, bjj, mma, and those "things" are utter bullshit, and made it sound as though he questioned my ability to make logical judgements by doing so. On top of that he literally THREATENED me that if I were ever to train anywhere else but where I go now, he would give me a beating for being so stupid.
    I won't train with him anymore after that, even if he is a good judo coach.

Thanks again, and I hope everyone had a good 4th of July yesterday,

ZoA.

*EDIT*

Computer suks
    Last edited by ZenOfAnger; 2/01/2009 2:53am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 8:01am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a response to the original post about not being able to find any other legit BJJ schools: Grappling Concepts in St. Louis is run by Royler Gracie black belt J.W. Wright and found on the web at http://www.grapplingconcepts.com

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful
    Just a response to the original post about not being able to find any other legit BJJ schools: Grappling Concepts in St. Louis is run by Royler Gracie black belt J.W. Wright and found on the web at http://www.grapplingconcepts.com
    Thanks. I didn't find that school in my search. It's just farther away from me than I would like. Vaghi's is closer to where I live, and if I can help it, save on gas by going to a school of at least the same level as the school you have mentioned. If I do get some free time next year, I think I might check that place out, but I got to focus on some other matters at the moment.

Thanks,

ZoA.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2008 5:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with Vaghi's Brown Belt in Rolla, along with going to St. Louis and training at Vaghi's main school. Excellent program, good friendly enviroment, and techniques and training is outstanding. Vaghi's guys do extremely well in the tournement with a good 70-90% of its competitors placing. I also ahve taken privates with Vaghi and a couple of his students. Best information and training I have gotten. It is definetly worth your time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 1:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol wtf happened to the judo guy thread you made?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast