Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 3:39am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm a (newly qualified) Physical Education teacher in Ireland, and I think this is a great idea. It is something that I would like to be able to set up in schools here in Ireland, although, realistically, the first step would be introducing sub-grappling/bjj/judo, as we don't have the tradition of high school wrestling that the U.S. does, so baby steps.

I'm very interested in this project, and I'd lov to hear how you guys are getting on

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 5:48am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So it is a school sanctioned sport?

like highschool wrestling?

I still think highschool students should train in highschool wrestling and maybe highschool judo clubs before transitioning into MMA.

do only seniors get to participate?

how are you guys looking into expanding?

I know, and correct me if I'm mistaken, that you have no other schools to compete against; how are you guys coping with all of this as pioneers of the sport?

we would appreciate also if some of the students competing began to post on these boards- specially if they took a look at the training and health forums, strikistan, and the grappling forums.

Winchester MMA is a school sanctioned program/club that I am working to turn into a sport at the school. For the past year I have been in contact with the Athletic Director, Wellness Director, and administration in order to make it so.

High school wrestling is a varsity sport. Unfortunately, in this present set of circumstances, the Winchester MMA program cannot be a varsity sport as there are no other MMA (or even martial arts) programs/clubs in the area.

The program is open to everyone who is interested in learning or teaching martial arts. I do not discriminate based on age, gender, popularity, or ability.

As for expansion, the program began with no instructors, one faculty adviser, and once a week meetings. We have come a long way since then. Just last season, there were three faculty advisers, three instructors, and four practices per week. Next season I hope to increase the number of students participating in the program, find a knowledgeable ground fighter to add as an instructor, acquire more equipment, and work out an agreement between the Athletic Director, Wellness Director, and administration regarding gym waivers for students who participate in the program (a privilege reserved for varsity school sports). I would also like to expand the program to other neighboring towns; however, it is unlikely that I will be able to do so.

I have had many requests from students in neighboring high schools about participating in the Winchester MMA program. Unfortunately, the administration denied my request to allow them to participate, I assume from the liability risk their participation would pose. We hold friendly competitions within the program. And frankly, at their current level, the majority of students in the program would not be ready to participate in any outside martial arts competition/tournament.

As for “pioneers of the sport,” I have offered advice/help to numerous students/teachers about starting up martial arts programs/clubs in their own schools.

And Cletus, please feel free to email me (ingoo.kwak@inbox.com) any questions you may have.
    Last edited by in8oo; 6/26/2008 5:50am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 6:26am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This may be mean, as they're just teenagers, but did anyone else kind of want to see the show-offy tkd kid get taken down?

(disclaimer: in high school, I was the show-offy taekwondo kid)

Troll 4 life.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 12:47pm

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by in8oo
    Winchester MMA is a school sanctioned program/club that I am working to turn into a sport at the school. For the past year I have been in contact with the Athletic Director, Wellness Director, and administration in order to make it so.

High school wrestling is a varsity sport. Unfortunately, in this present set of circumstances, the Winchester MMA program cannot be a varsity sport as there are no other MMA (or even martial arts) programs/clubs in the area.

The program is open to everyone who is interested in learning or teaching martial arts. I do not discriminate based on age, gender, popularity, or ability.

As for expansion, the program began with no instructors, one faculty adviser, and once a week meetings. We have come a long way since then. Just last season, there were three faculty advisers, three instructors, and four practices per week. Next season I hope to increase the number of students participating in the program, find a knowledgeable ground fighter to add as an instructor, acquire more equipment, and work out an agreement between the Athletic Director, Wellness Director, and administration regarding gym waivers for students who participate in the program (a privilege reserved for varsity school sports). I would also like to expand the program to other neighboring towns; however, it is unlikely that I will be able to do so.

I have had many requests from students in neighboring high schools about participating in the Winchester MMA program. Unfortunately, the administration denied my request to allow them to participate, I assume from the liability risk their participation would pose. We hold friendly competitions within the program. And frankly, at their current level, the majority of students in the program would not be ready to participate in any outside martial arts competition/tournament.

As for “pioneers of the sport,” I have offered advice/help to numerous students/teachers about starting up martial arts programs/clubs in their own schools.

And Cletus, please feel free to email me (ingoo.kwak@inbox.com) any questions you may have.
    Oh, I see.

Thank you for your insightful response, it has been of much help to us in this board.

I just posed the question about seniors/juniors being able to participate beacause, I don't have it clear, but I think you must be 16 or 18 to spar or participate in MMA.

maybe it was to be an amateur fighter in the cage.

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 2:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tharuz
    Oh, I see.

Thank you for your insightful response, it has been of much help to us in this board.

I just posed the question about seniors/juniors being able to participate beacause, I don't have it clear, but I think you must be 16 or 18 to spar or participate in MMA.

maybe it was to be an amateur fighter in the cage.
    A large number of program participants do not even spar. Most of the class is devoted to drilling and pad work... boring stuff to put in a highlight video.

Posted On:
    7/04/2008 1:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Submission Wresting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    great idea wish we had one of these at my high school.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    7/04/2008 1:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...I am jealous beyond belief.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 3:15am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ