Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 1:22am

Style: Movement

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Exercises related to ones transitional game?

Ok, so good exercises for your stand up are things like jump rope, shadow boxing, punching using rubber tubing etc. And exercises for the ground game include the kettle ball and balancing on an exercise ball.

But, I can't think of any good exercises that relate to ones transitional game (clinch etc.).
    Can anyone give some advice on this one?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training helps. What has your instructor suggested?

Clinching is way too specific to find exercises outside of training.

Obviously you need to have a strong core, a posterior chain and be capable of generating torque from your torso. Any weight training program that maintains and improves your thoraccic mobility and your hip strenght/power will do.

But the clinching is so technical (just like any other ranges of fighting), that it needs to be drilled under qualified instruction. Barring a tremendous size advantage, strenght would not compensate for lack of clinch skills.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 6/25/2008 9:11am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 10:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you're already a well trained athlete, sport specific training is not going to be that useful. You shold be doing general strength training the develop a base of strength from which to work off of.

For the clinch, I could image that v-handle pullups would be useful.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 11:26am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People get very caught up trying to find exercises that mimic sporting movements exactly. The truth is that the basics work for developing strength remain the same. It's your responsibility (or your coach's) to follow through with integrating that strength into your game.

Iím home today to do admin stuff, which means that Iím actually procrastinating Ė which is good for you.

Here's a short program for improving strength in the clinch:

Frequency will depend on how often you're working out. Iím working under the assumption that clinching is a weak point. If you're making it to the gym three times a week, then I would have you do this twice. If you're only making it out twice, I would have you do it both times for two to three weeks, and then drop it to once a week

Duration: Since, despite its limitations, this program is almost definitely less retarded than what you were doing anyway, it can be used in the long-term Ė provided that you remember to vary up the exercises and de-load every three or four weeks. Itís not structurally balanced, in terms of pushing movements, but most people arenít structurally balanced anyway. However, if youíre the one guy in the gym not doing any pressing movements, then Ėtwo or three months in, youíre going to integrate benching and overhead pressing into your workouts with the eventual goal of balanced pushing and pulling.

Here we go:
    Clinching Strength Program

1A: 5x5
    Pick 1: Close-grip rope pull-ups, V-handle pull-ups, neutral grip pull-ups, chin ups (supinated grip), dumbbell row, bent-over row, seated row

1B: 5x5
    Pick 1: Weighted crunches on stability ball, knee raised on Roman chair, hanging leg raises, ab wheel, barbell roll-outs

Three minute rest

2A: 3x8
    Pick 1: Straight-arm lat pulldown, dumbbell pullover, single-arm cable pulldown, dumbbell row, bent-over row, seated row

2B: 3x12-15
    Pick 1: Cable woodchops (low to high), cable woodchops (high to low), Russian twists with barbell, Russian twists with medicine ball, planks (push up-position) on stability ball

One minute rest

3A: 60 seconds
    Pick 1: Crunch on stability ball + resistance band pulldown (loop it over something), crunch on stability ball + overhead medicine ball toss, barbell roll-outs from push-up position (donít go out further than you can come back)

3B: 60 seconds
    Pick 1: Triceps rope pull-down, dips (on bench), diamond push-ups, plyometric girly push-ups

3C: 60 seconds
    Preacher curls, dumbbell curls, half-curls (second half of movement), Zotman curls

Everything is done as fast as proper technique allows. If you choose a vertical pulling movement for 1A, then choose a horizontal pulling movement for 2B and vice-versa. Donít do the same exercise (in the same place) for more than two or three consecutive weeks sessions or weeks (whatever comes first).

Bang Fitness: Personal Training in Toronto
    Last edited by Bang!; 6/25/2008 12:33pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 11:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can give you a few ideas based on some of the training that I do to work the clinch game.

First of all, for basic strength in the clinch I have always focused on squeezing and pulling power for my upper body. So I do things like aussie pullups using the horizontal post of a fence and keep my hands gripped in the standard Muay Thai fashion (thai plumb or plumb grip is what i've heard it called before). This develops the grip specific to that tie up and gives you decent pulling power.

Second, to develop the squeezing power in the clinch (and I'm talking Greco type under/overhooks here) I use a soccer ball or basket ball for squeezing routines. isocmetric type exercises work well. What I do is tuck the ball in the crook of my arm so tht the ball is wedged in a triangle made by my forearm, bicep, and pec. Then you squeeze and hold for a certain time limit. 15-30 seconds is usually good. I started with a soccer ball first and then moved on to a basketball once I got stronger with this. Obviously, do this for both arms. Move your arms in different positions (elbow to the side, elbow up, elbow down) to work various angles. You'll be able to feel it hit different areas of your arm. Alternatively, you can do this for reps also. 10-15 reps x 3 sets and hold each squeeze for 5 seconds. It all depends on what makes you happy. Don't forget to use both arms also. Put the ball in the middle of your chest, put your hands in a gable grip or thai plumb grip and squueze. The variations are endles on this exercise.

In case you are interested, you can also put the ball between your knees (either standing or lying on your back) and squeeze as described above. This helps develop a very tight guard/body scissor.

Another thing I do is utilize the heavy bag for clinching. I simply clinch the bag low, either pinching it between my forearms in the thai grip or a gable grip. Sometimes I'll use a 3 fingered grip but this is only if I'm feeling froggy. Then I lift the bag so that the weight of the bag is not resting on the chain, but I am holding it up myself. At this point, I am just working footwork and knees. You obviously can't throw any punches or bows because your hands are tied up. This is hard to do at first but after you practice it for a while it gets really easy to do and you become comfortable working in a tight clinch.

But you must realize that the bag ain't gonna hit you back. So be aware of where you position your head (tuck tightly) and how you guard yourself while moving around. The same thing works if you unhook the heavy bag and just awlk it around your gym with no chain.

These are just a few simple things that I use. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but I hope it helps you out regardless. Peace.

http://www.fightinglegacy.com