Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 1:31pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Lose the Muay Thai march. It only works if your opponent is going to use it too and run right into you. I learned this the hard way by losing a fight without actually getting hurt at all. Evasive boxing-like footwork will eat you up as long as you are taking the tiny little Muay Thai steps. If you just watch from the waist down it looks like you guys are doing two totally different activities.
    I was about to post something similar. Use your footwork, change your angles, hit with a combo and step around him and then fire again. Since focusing on my footwork I have drastically improved my game.

You should work on throwing more combos. I know your sparring a friend but let your hands fly a bit.

Not bad, keep up the training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 5:03pm

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you throw punches, you need to hit him, preferably in the face. This is often overlooked somehow, but it's pretty important. I know it's just friendly sparring, but you need to get used to making contact.

Also, you tried to block a lot of leg kicks by dropping your lead hand in the second video.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 5:20pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before you listen to anything else posted in this thread, do what white shark and I said. Find a more mobile and balanced stance. Until you do that then everything else said so far will be worthless to you. You will probably stall in progress. As soon as you learn how to move and relax I bet your game shoots through the roof and you will almost instantly come to understand everything you've been doing wrong and be able to correct it within a matter of a couple months.

In fact I'd go so far to say as to say that if you get your balance, relaxation and mobility right that you'll see more improvement in 2 months then you've seen over the past year. It's the most basic but most important thing and it can't be stressed enough.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 6/25/2008 5:25pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 6:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the advice--you guys rock!

Anna - I did the exercise you described and did some shadowboxing. My punches feel quicker and more natural from that position.

Hui Xiu - Footwork footwork footwork! Yes. I will be searching the forums later for some recommended drills, because I know it needs work.

G-Off - I will work on the hand positioning during kicks; I tend to get sloppy when I am excited about kicking someone.

Sang - I have practiced the teep + roundhouse you have described, but so far I have been shy about using the teep in sparring. But as you say, it would be a useful tool against a more mobile opponent.

White Shark - Yes, looking at the video, I do feel pretty ridiculous for creeping around. I will work on boxing footwork.

selfcritical - I still worry too much about my face, and forget to protect other parts of my body. One of my other sparring buddies does a better job of punishing me for this, so hopefully I'll get with the program soon =P

Kempo Chris - Going into the match I knew he was very quick to withdraw, so my game plan was to fire off a punch or two and then kick him as he pulled out. That didn't really happen on Sunday, because I had trouble keeping up with him. I imagine changing my footwork will help in this regard.

Re: Above
    Duly noted. Footwork and fighting from a more relaxed stance will be my focus for a while.
    Last edited by HeraldOfTheFrog; 6/25/2008 6:10pm at . Reason: Just read above post

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 11:06am

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the only thing i'd add to the discussion is that when you cross the gap and fire off a punch or kick, dont stop with one. The hardest thing to do is cross the gap and not be hit and once you've done it dont just fire 1, fire 5 or 6 or 8 punches or kicks. Also closing the gap when your opponent is on 1 leg is always good. Your coming along nicely and good work!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2008 12:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if this comes across as facetious (not my intention) but I would advise finding a gym that spars more. Training for a year without much sparring doesn't sound like great training. Sparring with your friends on weekends will help, but you won't get the same feedback as you will sparring under the supervision of an experienced trainer.

Is sparring just not part of your regular training, or is it done in a separate class which you don't regularly attend?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2008 3:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To Retro:

I haven't been attending class as often as I'd like. But I went to the Friday evening class this past week for the first time in a while, and did some sparring then.

HOLY CRAP changing my guard made a world of difference. It's going to take longer to improve my footwork, but relaxing my stance has already helped me out.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    6/29/2008 4:06am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next tip, maintain that guard and when someone jabs at you, you catch it by turning your right palm inwards. Not swatting it with your arm, simply turning your palm to be in front of your face.

If someone throws the right, do basically the same with your left hand, though this will generally reesult in more of a deflecting action then a direct catch.

Dont swat at punches to stop them, just turning either hand palm forward will be enough to stop most straight punches and allow you to maintain your guard.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2008 11:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I will try working that in some drills!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12