Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 11:46pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WELL I SHOULD BE....<insert rank here>

so i forgot to put up an away message on aim and this crazy girl from my hardcore tkd days whom I have managed not to talk to in almost two years ims me. To give the readers at home some background, this girl was so into tkd that her aim sn, myspace, and email all have TKD in it. she had no social life outside of tkd, and it made things kinda creepy on occasion.

the convo, with screen names changed:

Beorn (11:52:04 PM): im spending the summer, though i think i will come home for a few weeks near the end of the summer to train and test for full second

Tkdpsycho (11:52:51 PM): cool

Tkdpsycho (11:52:57 PM): I should be full 3rd

Beorn (11:53:24 PM): as in will have tested by then or just if u had kept on schedule

Tkdpsycho (11:53:44 PM): if i had kept on schd

Tkdpsycho (11:53:53 PM): I havn't been to class in liek 2 years

Tkdpsycho (11:53:58 PM): but I train on my own, so u know

so is this **** universal, or just tkd? cause i swear that every person i know that quit tkd claims the rank they "would have been" if they kept training. it just really pisses me off because i am associated with several clubs in different cities (due to me being in college) and i still manage to remain active in them all, and even promote when my instructors feel I am ready. Yet this bitch in question has dropped out of school, yet cant be bothered to keep training when she lives 5 minutes away from the school.
    /rant

so i know this is a little stupid and out there, but i figure its less dumb than me trying to fight Annatrocity with big sticks and such.

EDIT: cause it freaked out when I tried to just drop the convo in straight from aim
    Last edited by Beorn; 6/24/2008 11:58pm at .

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 11:48pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    so i forgot to put up an away message on aim and this crazy girl from my hardcore tkd days whom I have managed not to talk to in almost two years ims me. To give the readers at home some background, this girl was so into tkd that her aim sn, myspace, and email all have TKD in it. she had no social life outside of tkd, and it made things kinda creepy on occasion.

the convo, with screen names changed:

<DIV id=34 style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT size=4><SPAN style="FONT: 12px Arial; COLOR: #d73306">Beorn
    That's one heck of a conversation there. The "Preview Post" button is your friend.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 11:59pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Beorn[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] (11:52:04 PM):[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif']im spending the summer, though i think i will come home for a few weeks near the end of the summer to train and test for full second[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/font]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Tkdpsycho[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] (11:52:51 PM):[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif']cool[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/font]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Tkdpsycho[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] (11:52:57 PM):[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif']I should be full 3rd [/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/font]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Beorn[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] (11:53:24 PM):[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif']as in will have tested by then or just if u had kept on schedule[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/font]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Tkdpsycho[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] (11:53:44 PM):[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif']if i had kept on schd[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/font]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Tkdpsycho[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] (11:53:53 PM):[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif']I havn't been to class in liek 2 years [/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/font]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Tkdpsycho[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] (11:53:58 PM):[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif']but I train on my own, so u know [/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/font]
    = FAILED
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 12:02am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having actually read a convo now...

I think it's unique to McDojos/arts that have that have testing schedules. Otherwise, how can you really tell? If your studio has a testing schedule that you know you'll be able to follow every time, it's easy to say "Oh, I would've been a 4th degree BB by now if I'd kept up with it."

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 12:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that's what you get for using AIM and more importantly that's what you get for doing TKD.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 12:10am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing it happens in TKD schools more often, because rank is very emphasized.

It makes people happy to have a colored strip of cloth.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 12:18am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do any TKD instructors promote like in Judo or BJJ where the instructor usually hands you a new belt when he thinks you've earned it? This is how my old Judo coach promoted people (he didn't really like being called sensei).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 12:58am

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    Do any TKD instructors promote like in Judo or BJJ where the instructor usually hands you a new belt when he thinks you've earned it? This is how my old Judo coach promoted people (he didn't really like being called sensei).
    nope, at least not that i know of. like G-off said, tkd is like the fucking freemasons when it comes to hierarchy, so people feel better about it when they have to "earn" it. also, testing fees often keep small dojangs afloat

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 1:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if they actually had to work for it and it took some time to achieve the actual level behind the belt, then they wouldn't feel liek they had to "earn" it through some watered down cult ritual.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 1:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    if they actually had to work for it and it took some time to achieve the actual level behind the belt, then they wouldn't feel liek they had to "earn" it through some watered down cult ritual.

But...i...i love the watered down cult rituals....

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast