Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 7:13pm

Style: Movement

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stand Up Central

Specific citations; Grove vs Tanner, Faber vs Pulver, Penn vs Sherk, Varner vs McCullough.

It seems to me that as of late many main events of Zuffa have been geared towards stand up banging. Personally, I grew up with stand up and wasn't excited when I saw a fight go to the ground until I took the time to appreciate and understand that aspect of the fight game. So, I can see how it could be more marketable for a match to remain standing.

Am I the only one who thinks this? And if not, do you think the fighters feel pressured to keep the fight off the ground?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 7:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh god no, not another thread from Iphaltuus!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 7:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope you don't mind if I keep that one Raz.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 7:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tanner is GnP guy, will subpar standup.
    Faber and Jens are both great wrestlers, and although Jens like to stand Faber prefers GnP.
    BJ Penn is BJJ guy who happens to have great kickboxing.
    Sherk is a wrestler who favors GnP.
    I don't know enough about the last two, so you might be right about them, but no. I do not think Zuffa has been favoring strikers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 9:30pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    Oh god no, not another thread from Iphaltuus!
    Note to self: Get Razamataz to write my posts.

I can't believe I'm going to be serious on this thread, here it goes. There is no way for the UFC to control how the fights will go. The UFC can have incentives for KOs, submissions, and for wins. The UFC can also (and will) instruct the refs to stand up the fighters if there is no action on the ground. There is no doubt the UFC wants action packed fights, but, keep in mind, the average MMA fan loves stand up and the ground game, so, it would not be in the UFC's best interest to "keep 'em on their feet".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 11:08pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only favortism to stand up is in the announcement by stand up comedian Joe Rogan

I had to make this terrible joke - it was so fitting for this thread

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 11:50pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's 'some' favoritism, I mean you never see the ref take two guys who're banging in the middle and say 'Your position hasn't improved' then drop them into closed guard... ;p

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 11:54pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL
    There's 'some' favoritism, I mean you never see the ref take two guys who're banging in the middle and say 'Your position hasn't improved' then drop them into closed guard... ;p
    Gee, you know that's true...such obvious favoritism and I've never even realized it! Someone ought to start an investigation!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 1:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mean to insinuate any sort of conspiracy towards the promoters themselves. I understand that eventually mma fans will learn to appreciate the ground game.

It seems to me that despite the bonus incentives for ko and sub of the night, there might be more incentive for a fighter to keep standing. Relate a knock out to a home run, if you will, and a submission to a stolen base. Since many in the world of sports claim that mma is the fastest growing sport in the world today, a good way to hook a newcomer to the game, it might be more favorable to go for the "big" win.

Either way, I really enjoy the natural pendulum and symbiotic relationship between the both aspects of the game. But, how often do you think a fighter might try to go for a ko in order to raise his notoriety? What do you think the ratio is between a given fighter's tendency to be dangerously aggressive or steadily calculative during a fight?

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 1:23am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphaltuus
    It seems to me that despite the bonus incentives for ko and sub of the night, there might be more incentive for a fighter to keep standing. Relate a knock out to a home run, if you will, and a submission to a stolen base.
    .....No. No, no, no, no, no.

Rousimar Palhares gained a hell of a lot of fans with a slick submission in his last fight. A good submission is worth just as much as a brutal KO most of the time in terms of fans. Plus when you go for the KO, you have a chance of an early stoppage like the Vera fight. On the other hand, only CB Dolloway is complaining about an early stoppage in his fight. On a sub you either tap or you don't.

This is a stupid fucking discussion from you, again.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast