Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be curious to know what UFC pays out in purses as a percentage of revenues and then compare that to other combat sports (boxing etc). The dollar figures themselves aren't enough to make any judgment on.

I mean, if the purses total $500K but the UFC makes $10 million (gross exaggeration of course) then that sucks. But $500K on $2 million sounds pretty decent.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 1:07pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a comissioned sales rep, i.e. someone who gets "trickled" down, if I sell, say $ 10,000 worth of gear, with financing, etc, I make about 5-6% commission on that sale. Now, I don't risk getting the **** kicked out of me, nor do I have to train,etc, but I also don't get to be on t.v., free drinks and groupies, if I win a sale. Really, that sounds about how a corporation pays it's employees, and Zuffa is a corporation. Until you get to be the "product", really,- i.e. People arre paying to see De Lahoya or Liddel to fight, not just a boxing/MMA match, you're pretty much stuck with taking what they are giving. I said once before, a guy was on ESPN 2 as the headliner last week, and he made $ 6,000 in a 10 round fight, and wound up with a bunch of stitches for his troubles.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 1:13pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although I generally can't stand unions as a dirty capitalist, I wonder why nobody's put any serious effort into creating one for fighters.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 1:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not enough money in it yet. IF fighter salaries ever get big enough to justify a 'UFC Fighter Association' Due that is worthwhile, THEN you might see a lawyer/agent take that on. But right now, it's just not worth it. Especially when people would fight for free just to be on the UFC card.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 1:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Although I generally can't stand unions as a dirty capitalist, I wonder why nobody's put any serious effort into creating one for fighters.
    It's funny, you don't want a union for a mind numbing factory job, but one for celeb's. And they say Obamam is an elitist.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    As a comissioned sales rep, i.e. someone who gets "trickled" down, if I sell, say $ 10,000 worth of gear, with financing, etc, I make about 5-6% commission on that sale. Now, I don't risk getting the **** kicked out of me, nor do I have to train,etc, but I also don't get to be on t.v., free drinks and groupies, if I win a sale. Really, that sounds about how a corporation pays it's employees, and Zuffa is a corporation. Until you get to be the "product", really,- i.e. People arre paying to see De Lahoya or Liddel to fight, not just a boxing/MMA match, you're pretty much stuck with taking what they are giving. I said once before, a guy was on ESPN 2 as the headliner last week, and he made $ 6,000 in a 10 round fight, and wound up with a bunch of stitches for his troubles.

Sure, but you probably have a zillion times more chances to sell widgets than they do to fight. Even a really busy UFC fighter is probably only taking a couple of serious paydays a year... And its a very short career.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak
    Sure, but you probably have a zillion times more chances to sell widgets than they do to fight. Even a really busy UFC fighter is probably only taking a couple of serious paydays a year... And its a very short career.
    I agree, it's a short career, but no one is forcing them to do it. Also, it's not like they drop dead after they do this. They might have to have a job, heaven forbid, like the rest of us.

If they are smart, they can work it into movies and endorsements- even books. Look at Lance Armtrong- you have to, the ad is there every time I go on this site. You can write a book about what a great husband and father you are, how you beat cancer, etc. Of course, once it's a best seller, you dump the wife and kids so you can bang Owen Wilson's sloppy seconds, but that's life, right?

At the end of the day, do you think those UFC fighters give a **** if you can pay your mortgage/rent/grocery bill (I quote a "Bronx Tale")?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12