Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 12:18pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even assuming you were really attempting to honor some Western martial tradition, why in God's name would you call it a "Pirate Dojo?"
    1. Your average pirate was a shitty swordsman (but, since you seem to espouse flailing over theory, I suppose you're right on track, here).
    2. You do realize that the word "dojo" is Japanese, right? In Western fencing, the most common name for the place in which one trains is probably "salle," though the words "school," "escola," "academia," et al, were used as well.

--Joe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 12:41pm

Style: Transitioning as usual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only a combination of noticeably eastern and western words that don't flow well together, but the part where any form of "piracy" is nonexistent, other than a few of my brain cells from having to endure that.

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 12:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're not a pirate unless you practice piracy, anyone can dress up like Johnny Depp and play tag, So unless the OP has been regularly plundering, (and by plundering I don't mean picking up dates at the bath house) you ain't no pirate bucko.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 1:02pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh sure, I could knock the zanyness of what you're doing, but I support people who are pro-choice on mental health.

Instead, get thee to the bookstore and pick up Pirate Utopias by Peter Lamborn Wilson, The Devil's Anarchy by Stephen Snelders, and The Pirate Primer by George Choundas.

Go out and get some long wobble boards and train fighting on them to simulate being on a ship.

Hell, get on a boat and give your wacky art a try.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 1:40pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your dojo is so irate, why not try some breathing exercises?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    Oh sure, I could knock the zanyness of what you're doing, but I support people who are pro-choice on mental health.

Instead, get thee to the bookstore and pick up Pirate Utopias by Peter Lamborn Wilson,
    Wilson is great fun ...

The "Pirate Dojo" guys have been posting on Western MA mailing lists as well. Going by the video, they're doing an adaptation of old-school English singlestick fencing, or more specifically, cudgel-play. The rules about not moving the feet and only counting successful strikes to the forehead do have historical precedent, but only as a rural fighting game (the sort of thing you'd see at country fairs, etc.) - also, the original cudgel-players didn't use fencing masks. You won by literally "breaking their pate", i.e., causing a bleeding head wound.

Later on, the basket-hilt cudgel was also used as a training weapon for military saber and cutlass fighting, and for recreational singlestick fencing, before being outmoded by relatively safe steel training sabers in the late 19th century.

Here's a bit of mobile singlestick fencing, as it would have been practiced in Scotland during the 1800s:

YouTube - Singlestick bout

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 2:00pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is just plain retarded.
    Try using some actual rapiers and/or a cutlass. Also, try having some footwork. Only then will you look like normal chimps instead of mentally challenged ones.

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 2:03pm

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    You're not a pirate unless you practice piracy, anyone can dress up like Johnny Depp and play tag, So unless the OP has been regularly plundering, (and by plundering I don't mean picking up dates at the bath house) you ain't no pirate bucko.
    Im guessing these dudes would have to pay out more then a few gold doubloons to recieve a plundering of their pirate booty.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 2:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No "Yaaaarghs!" in the OP... no parrot in the videos... no ship...
    My timbers have never been more un-shivered.

NOT A PIRATE

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 2:10pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Eyes
    That is just plain retarded.
    Try using some actual rapiers and/or a cutlass. Also, try having some footwork. Only then will you look like normal chimps instead of mentally challenged ones.
    Most pirates had STD's, too. Get yourselves some syphilis before you think you're the r34l d34l..
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast