Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:08pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

OMG - Jungyae Mixed Martial Arts

Ok thought some of you might at least get a lol out of this.
    Quick History:
    I used to be a part of jungyae moosul (look it up on bullshido) I changed my name on here because I really don’t want to post about them anymore, but some things just need to be shared – lol

SO… a friend of mine who does not train was looking for a mma (he always talks about training but never does –lol)place and he found this dex-online ad:

http://jungyaemoosul-dex.com/?src=tp...TC1A2248702158

Actual web site:

www.jungyae.com

now, he knows about my time in jungaye and he is some what of a jokester, so he decides to send them an e-mail. Keep in mind pretty much everything my friend is saying is made-up or derived from quick internet searches.
    Also a quick edict thing about jungyae: An instructors title is Sa Reoung, my friend not knowing this though Sa was the guys first name. Probably more funny to me than it is to you, because I have been their – lol

Anyways, after the last response, when he was sure he was not going to hear anything else he sent me a copy of the e-mail conversation…

Enjoy (remember my firend is MAKING EVERYTHING UP as he goes, I don’t think he has ever been to Springfield – lol):
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan
    Just wondering if you are an MMA gym? A little confused by your wording “Jungyae Mixed Martial Arts”, but when I look at your web site you look more like a traditional martial art.
    Just wondering because I just moved from Springfield, IL and I am looking for a new MMA gym to train at. I am now in the Lynnwood area seems like my choices are a little limited here.
    A few questions if you are an actual MMA place:
    1.Who handles your grappling? I’m currently a two stripe blue belt under Gracie Barra and if possible I would like to continue under that linage.
    2.Who is your striking coach? Is your striking mostly boxing base, muay thai or something else?
    3.Do you have an active fight team? What are the requirements to fight under your gym, I’m currently 2-0 in amateur mma and can provide tapes of my fights if necessary.
    4.What is your fight team current record and are their any fighters of note that I can check out?
    5.When is your open mat time? What are the mat fees?
    6.What are the costs for training?

Thanks for your time, look forward to hearing from you.

Jonothan Wake
    Quote Originally Posted by jungyae
    Jonothan:
    I appreciate your contact, but we are not in fact a MMA gym. We do teach grappling and the ground work that you are seeking, but we also teach the other aspects of the martial arts including hand and foot work found in more “traditional” martial arts. So we are a mixed martial arts school, but not MMA. Also, we do not teach or train for the sport world. We do not disallow that for people who are interested, but in real life you don’t get to tap-out, so we want to make sure that people can protect themselves against all types of threats.
    You may want to check out Alderwood Mixed Martial Arts: http://www.alderwoodmixedmartialarts.com/index.html
    I have never met their instructors, so I cannot speak to their skill level or training, but it might be worth checking out if you want the sport competition aspect.
    Best,

Sa Reoung Hughes
    Quote Originally Posted by jonothan
    Hay Sa,

Thanks for the reply. I had already found the link you sent me, sent them an e-mail too and they have invited me to come down and try out a class or two. So cool. Thanks for being up front about what you do and the information you provided. If you will accept it, I would like to give you a little friendly advice however. Mixed Martial Arts = MMA. If you are going to advertise yourself that way you better be prepared to deal with people looking for that experience. MMA has become its own training sub set of martial arts and anyone who uses that term are often held to the standards that are well known. Hate to say it, but like in all parts of life, there are those jerks (though they can be highly skilled jerks) who will simply show up to test your MMA school with out warning (I have seen it happen many times where use to train… and if you really think that those that train for “sport” can’t fight in “real life” you are kidding yourself. Tapping out is simply a way to keep from getting hurt… tap or snap is the more “real” possibility.

I know you are just trying to get some business for you place by cashing in on the latest thing, but you might want to rethink it. I got a lot of respect for traditional schools (I have a karate black belt), but many guys now a days don’t have that respect. Good luck with your business, just remember to be true to your roots.

Jonothan Wake
    Quote Originally Posted by jungyae
    Jonothan:

I appreciate your comments, and I understand what you implying. To be clear, I don't claim that sport fighters are weaker or less than self-defense only practitioners. They are tremendous athletes and most are very skilled at their craft. I am serious though that when people train for an environment that has rules, it can cause limitations for some in real life self defense scenarios. Mixed Martial Arts does not equal MMA. As you were correct in stating, MMA has become it's own subset and we have been very clear to not use that phrasing. I have great respect for MMA and it's practitioners, but as mixed martial art we aim to train for all types of fighters. Rolling around on the ground is useless if there are multiple opponents. Groundwork (for the most part) is ineffective when a knife or other weapon is used against you. A martial artist MUST learn proper ground technique, but it's part of a larger picture. Forms/Katas and stances aren't the end-all either.

We have been a "mixed martial art" for the last 20 years, we are very true to our roots, and yes we have had a few come in to challenge us. I cant understand that people would have such low situational awareness to do that, but I guess it happens pretty often. It's not often the MMA guys.....the most type of challenges we get are the TKD folks, strange.

Ed Parker and Olaf Simon had the first US (public) Mixed Martial Arts competition back in the 60's. Chuck Norris won that event after 23 or so fights. Bruce Lee was a mixed martial artist, so was Bill Wallace. We don't need to debate semantics, we probably just don't see eye to eye. I will say though, that our branding isn't some effort to capitalize on a trend. MMA can stay or go, we will still be a mixed martial art.

Again, please do not take my comments as disrespect for you or any MMA fighters. We train with a different end result in mind. We don't claim to be better or worse than anything else, we are only what we are and that's it.

Best,

Sa Reoung Hughes
    And the last response from Jonothan that ended it all…
    Quote Originally Posted by jonothan
    Sa,

Ok, I agree that we probably won’t agree on this subject… mostly because you seem to be really un-informed / misinformed. First, their was no term MMA or Mixed Martial Arts until after 1993 when the UFC first aired. Until that time people referred to that kind of fighting as NHB (No Holds Barred) or Vale Tudo (No Rules). Many years after the first UFC the term MMA or Mixed Martial Artist came into use to refer to a specific set of rules used in a “sport” fighting situation. So your “20 years of being a mixed martial art” doesn’t hold up because it predates the term and its accepted definition. You want to cash in and try and earn some cash, hay that’s your business, but don’t lie / make things up about it.

And just to be clear… Yes their were people who cross trained way before the UFC ever came into being. In fact cross training was common practice among many martial artist and often lead to different takes on the martial arts. The advent of Aikido was one such accomplishment. But just because someone cross trained does not make them a “mixed martial art”, the closest thing you can find in history to that is the Pankration tournaments that happened in the original Greek Olympics. Again, many people would cross train (way before Bruce Lee even – yeah I know hard for you to believe) and they would often merge these into “new” styles that included techniques from both, this is still not MMA which is not a style but rather a training method and rule set used in “sport” fighting.

Ed Parker’s first competition was not an MMA competition it was an “International Karate Championship” with people from different style participating under a loose rule set that only allowed for punching and kicking (kickboxing). These fights were sometimes known to be bare knuckle or with limited padding, safety gear such as shin and instep protectors were not developed till later and most “karate guys” of the time felt using boxing gloves was beneath them. If competitors got into a clinch or fell to the ground the fights would not continue but would be stopped and restarted with both fighters off to their corners. Oh and just for your information the first Ed Parker “International Karate Championship” was won by Mike Stone not Chuck Norris.

I’m not sure if you really believe what you are saying or just trying to sell a “bill of goods”. You want to kid yourself and mislead your students I guess that is your choice; after all it is your business. If it is unknowingly done on your part I apologize if I came off a little rough above, but if this is something you are doing where you are fully aware of how you are miss leading people… then OMG I can’t believe people like you still exist in today’s world. Much of this information is out their and easy to find, the fact that someone would believe your crap with out checking it out means maybe I over estimate the intelligence of some people. I don’t know, maybe someone has feed you this information and you have not done your homework properly.

Again, some free advice for you Sa… you want to fool yourself and your students go right ahead, it’s your life; but if you talk to others outside of your little bubble prepare to get that bubble burst. My advice, do some research and really learn what you are talking about. Don’t take my word for it, don’t use what ever / who ever you used as a resource to come up with your Jungyae Mixed Martial Art; real documentation is out their, you just have to want to take the time to learn... and if you are doing this intentionally, then I hope you can live with yourself, I know I couldn’t.
    Peace to you and a Happy 4th of July,
    Let your freedom take you where it will,
    Jonothan Wake
    Nothing ground breaking, I might find it more interesting simply because I was in Jungyae and we NEVER called it a mix martial art when I was their. The Ed Parker thing cracked me up too – lol
    Oh well, the more things change the more they stay the same, hope this at least gave you some entertainment.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:15pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Move to the KMA section for proper ANALysis plz. ktnxbai.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:42pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    Move to the KMA section for proper ANALysis plz. ktnxbai.
    that's fine by me if someone wants to move it, don't care where it ends up, just wanted to share :toothy9:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 3:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how he says their not trying to cash in on the MMA name.

If not, then why change it at all?

Moosul (korean) = Wushu (chinese) = Martial Arts/Technique

"mixed'" is not part of the translation.

There is simply no reason to change the name unless you are trying to boost business.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 3:17pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any place that has "little dragons" programs is a red flag to me....

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 3:32pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Musul does not mean martial arts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 3:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't?

Mu / wu - Martial

sul / shu - technique

At least that is my understanding.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 4:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any place that adds a couple of thing to TKD and calls it something new is a red flag to me.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 4:14pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sul does not mean art or technique.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 4:21pm

Bullshido Newbie