Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 4:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training Schedule - For a woman

Well here's my first post (other than my very short intro). I'm looking for some guidance regrding creating a training schedule.

Details - I am not fit right now but have committed myself to getting fit by completing changing my lifestyle. I'm taking Muay Thai lessons 3 times a week.

What else can I do at home to help me with strength training - my upper body strength is not very good, especially my arms.

Unfortunately I don't have room in my apartment for a lot of equpment.

If you have any suggestions I would certainly appreciate the input. Thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 5:50am

Style: MMA/Kung Fu/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there! Try and get hold of "NEver Gymless" by Ross Emmanait, it has some really good body weight training in and you don't need much equipment at all.He is a boxing trainer so it can be ma specific too. You may need to look at your diet too if you are looking at your strength. Training mt will give you excellent conditioning but that in itself won't be enough.
    Good luck with it :)

Weak

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi karen, welcome to Bullshido. Just a few questions:

1. Do you have any injuries/pre-existing conditions that might limit some exercises you do?

2. Have you ever lifted weights? Do you have access to a gym (time, money will be factors)?

3. Can you do proper pushups (not girly ones on your knees)?

4. How are you finding Muay Thai (in terms of your stamina, ability to get through a class without tiring)

Just want to gauge where you are with your fitness before making suggestions.

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 7:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the quick replies - I'll look for the book!

My answers:

1. Do you have any injuries/pre-existing conditions that might limit some exercises you do?

I had a torn rotator cuff but it hasn't bothered me for the last 3 years. In the past I've broken both my legs and arms, collar bone and jaw. These injuries took place over a 20 year time span while I was training and competing with dressage horses (and to be totally honest an ex husband who did martial arts). I don't believe any of them will stand in my way.

2. Have you ever lifted weights? Do you have access to a gym (time, money will be factors)? No I haven't but again when I was in the barn I lifted and carried heavy items all the time. I have access in my building to a gym - they have equipment there but no trainers.

3. Can you do proper pushups (not girly ones on your knees)? No - not yet but I will. This area I believe is my weakest point - my legs are still pretty strong.

4. How are you finding Muay Thai (in terms of your stamina, ability to get through a class without tiring). I've only just started - obviously I can't do everything yet but I'm not passing out and I walk the next the day.

When I stoped competing I did gain quite a bit of weight - due to poor eating habits and lack of excercise. I have though lost 80% of the extra weight and only have 15 pounds to go.

I am very focussed on my objectives and I will let nothing get in the way of achieving them.

Thank you very much for your help - Karen

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lily beat me to it.

I'd strongly suggest you get this book and this book (not just one, but both). Regardless of your current fitness goals and equipment at your disposal (or lack thereof), it is important that you have a reference, a instructional or guide. These two no-nonsense, practical books server that purpose well.

For one thing, you do not need a lot of equipment. The minimum that you'd need to train effectively would be the following (most of this you can find in target and sometimes in tj-max at a bargain price, hell maybe on craigslist for cheap)

1. a pair of 2lbs reebok thumb-lock wrist weights

2. a pair of 3lbs thumb-lock wrist weights

3. a pair of adjustable reebok 2-12.5lbs reebok dumbbells

4. a pair of adjustable 5lbs ankle weights

You can use the wrist locks as dumbbells or to quickly add weight to a set of dumbbells. Very handy. The ankle weights can be used with the dumbbells for things like walking lunges or lateral/rear leg raises (don't use them for jumping and running, though.) And the adjustable dubbells are just what my g/f uses for working out.

These take very little space, can fit in a box, and will keep you busy for a while.

But before we mention anything more, Lily hit in the nail regarding push ups.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How many girl push ups (knees on the floor) can you do in one row nonstop?

2. Can you squat all the way down and if so, how many squats like that do you think you can do in, say, 20 seconds? See the following clip for guidance, specially at second 0:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k45YlFHn6xs

3. Can you get a sturdy broomstick or dowel, put it securely between two chairs and see how many of the following (horizontal pull ups) can you do in a row, non-stop?

YouTube - horizontal pullup2

The answer to these questions could give us an idea of where you are and what you may need to work on.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once again my thanks! I'll try the excercises tonight and report back as to where I stand. I've also requested the e-book (your signature line) - looks like some excellent reading.

Heading over to the bookstore on the weekend and I'll pick up the three books - hopefully they are available here in Canada - if not I'll use Amazaon.

Thanks again - Karen

PS I think it's wonderfull that I've found such a great group of people who are willing to help me achieve my goals for fitness! And, you're taking not taking the mickey out of me for being so unfit - I sure do appreciate that. Thank you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 12:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to the books mentioned, I also recommend:
    "101 Ways to Work Out with Weights" by Cindy Whitmarsh.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/101-Ways-Work-...dp/1592332161/

It contains a lot a fairly unique exercises which combine balance/stabilization with strength.

-EE

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, btw Karen, make sure you warm up a bit before you do those tests. Either do it about an hour after your MT session, or simply do a minute or two of jumping jacks.

Train safe.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 3:13pm

Style: MMA, Judo, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To get in shape for MMA/Grappling as well as increase your hormonal output to make your body burn more fat and to increase muscular density as well as your ability to utilize all energy systems the best I recommend crossfit (www.crossfit.com) ideally find someone certified at least a level 1 to take you through and do proper mechanics. If you are interested I take my students through this after our drills & rounds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 8:48am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 to Crossfit! Been CrossFitting for 5 months (37 y.o. F) and it's great. Scaled down workouts available at: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/
    Different workout every day, minimal equipment needed. Will get your self in great shape, all around-strength, cardio, etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast