Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 12:11am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

chest exercises with kettlebells?

hey guys. i'm a n00b when it comes to physical training in general, and after dieting, traning BJJ/kickboxing more, and being almost 50lbs lighter than i was in january, i have decided, well ****, might as well go for it and really get in shape.

so i'm dieting again. target is 185lbs. currently just above 200 at 6'0".

anyways, i don't know crap about weights. so far, the only thing my instructor has had me do is kettlebells, of the 16kg variety, which i understand is quite ***** in the general PT consensus. but anyways, it's the one i'm using. i have access to two more sizes, the largest being 70lb (don't recall the medium one). other than that, there are very light dumbells lying around in my gym, the largest being 10lb.

while i'd like to build some more mass in my arms, my most pathetic area is my chest. when i began training, i couldn't do too many pushups together. now i can manage about 200 in sets of 50 with a min or two break between them. are there any exercises i can do to build my pectorals with kettlebells? i've seen some dumbell exercises on a bench, but normally the pictures show quite large weights, i don't think a 10lb would do?

there is an insanely hardcore PT group at the gym, which i was invited to join if i felt like getting in shape, but it clashes with my uni schedule. also, those guys do **** and work themselves a bit further than i think i can go right now. my instructor has a hard on for Gym Jones type ****.

so, suggestions? i'll probably ask my instructor about this next time i'm there (missed all last week, damn you exams), but just felt like asking on here, see what you guys have to say.

so far most KB exercises i've been taught focus on the arms/back area i'd say. any links to stuff i can do for my chest with them? are pushups really that effective? any input appreciated.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 12:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, if you're looking to do bodybuiling, kettlebells are probably not the best choice. But for size and strength, there are some really good chest exercises witht the kettlebells, the easiest being plain old kettlbell bench press. My personal favorite is the turkish getup. Be sure to also check out the renegade row, even though that is a back and chest exercise.

Also, 16kg is the standard starting weight for untrained beginners, so don't worry about it being '*****'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:22am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, i'm not into "bodybuilding". as long as i can get my body in good-looking shape, and have strength to back it up, i am good. i don't wanna be too bulky. i'll google-fu those exercises later, but any particular links you recommend?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 11:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    www.dragondoor.com is the home of kettlebells on the net. They have lots of articles on training.

Another good website is this one: http://www.mikemahler.com/kettlebell_exercises.html