Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 10:32pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rut ?

I have been doing very well for my first year of BJJ. I started off sucking horrible, having no experience in any sort of wrestling, being of small frame and generally weak. Now I'm doing fucking awesome (in my opinion, and my instructor agrees to a point). I feel I'm getting close to blue -I threaten and at least make (more recent) blue belts them work hard for submissions, and some don't tap me at all. Most white belts I have no problem with, except for the odd ones. (Also, I've come to understand the jujitsu triangle of tapping). Being little, my technique is good, since I can't outpower the bigger guys (and I don't try -I'd rather have good technique than force my way.)

Until very recently. Everybody has been blocking my butterfly sweeps and I can't submit anyone worth ****. I don't get submitted, people don't pass my guard, but damn it's frustrating as **** suddenly not to be able to submit people who I used to submit. I've gotten better, and they've gotten better, but technique wise -how we do against higher belts etc, I've gotten more better than they.

I drill a lot -more than other guys, so I don't really know what I can do to enhance my submission game? I just can't seem to finish people off.

Does/Did anyone else have this problem? How did you get out of it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 10:53pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you are getting sloppy with your submission technique? Are they getting used to your moves? Throw some new ones in? Keep in mind with grappling, you always have ups and downs. Sometimes you will have a bad month or two. Not really sure what to tell you. Ask a higher belt/instructor to keep an eye on you, and see if you could be doing anything better.

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 11:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're telling my story to a T.

Recently, I keep wondering if I'm actually getting WORSE with time. I'm having a tough time with guys that I used to own...and I'm getting owned by guys I used to stall. I'm getting injured frequently, not recovering as fast, and I'm forgetting parts of my game.

Of course, I have been going through a divorce...so I might be hitting the "Depression" stage, whereas before I was in "Angry Denial" stage.

Hey, that might be it. Is there anything personal going on that might be screwing up your game?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 11:42pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Divorce: Teh real anti-grapple!

But srsly, that sucks bro. I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems...

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphilis
    I have been doing very well for my first year of BJJ. I started off sucking horrible, having no experience in any sort of wrestling, being of small frame and generally weak. Now I'm doing fucking awesome (in my opinion, and my instructor agrees to a point). I feel I'm getting close to blue -I threaten and at least make (more recent) blue belts them work hard for submissions, and some don't tap me at all. Most white belts I have no problem with, except for the odd ones. (Also, I've come to understand the jujitsu triangle of tapping). Being little, my technique is good, since I can't outpower the bigger guys (and I don't try -I'd rather have good technique than force my way.)

Until very recently. Everybody has been blocking my butterfly sweeps and I can't submit anyone worth ****. I don't get submitted, people don't pass my guard, but damn it's frustrating as **** suddenly not to be able to submit people who I used to submit. I've gotten better, and they've gotten better, but technique wise -how we do against higher belts etc, I've gotten more better than they.

I drill a lot -more than other guys, so I don't really know what I can do to enhance my submission game? I just can't seem to finish people off.

Does/Did anyone else have this problem? How did you get out of it?
    Eb and flow, I believe it's called. I just got out of a rut myself. Honestly, the best person to ask is your teacher. I finally did that with both of my instructors and took their advice as well and working the stuff I normally work. It has helped me a lot. Ask your instructor.

Also, you have to remember, that the more you use something on someone, the more times they've seen it and know how to defend it. It's time to switch to something else or use a different setup. That's the way it goes.

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 1:23am

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    You're telling my story to a T.

Recently, I keep wondering if I'm actually getting WORSE with time. I'm having a tough time with guys that I used to own...and I'm getting owned by guys I used to stall. I'm getting injured frequently, not recovering as fast, and I'm forgetting parts of my game.

Of course, I have been going through a divorce...so I might be hitting the "Depression" stage, whereas before I was in "Angry Denial" stage.

Hey, that might be it. Is there anything personal going on that might be screwing up your game?
    Yup yup, my devorce got me in a real shitty commando dumb man d'oh mode myself. Been there, done that. It shall pass my friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 7:34am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm having the opposite experience. I'm just now starting to do much better. There's a crop of new guys and I'm submitting left and right now.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 9:28am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing that has helped me shake off a rut is going to a different class. I typically go Tuesday and Thursday night but if I'm in a rut i make an effort to go to a morning class or a Friday or Saturday class. This lets me roll against a different group of people than i normally see and I see different games and different reactions to my game. IT almost always helps me get off the rut in just a class or two.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:55am

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing Jiu-Jitsu for approximately 4 years now. I can tell you that will not be the first rut you experience. And the ruts in a way get harder as you see how much progress you've made only to fall into another.

Key things to remember is that a rut will also serve a purpose. You will stagnate for a random amount of time, then you will make a leap of knowledge on the things that are frustrating you. It may only be a small leap like minor positioning adjustments, or it may be something bigger like suddenly knowing how to apply a series of submissions or positions that greatly advances your game.

The important thing to keep in mind is that EVERYONE else is in the same boat. So maybe while you are in a rut now, the guys you were routinely rolling over have suddenly made a large jump in their own personal game and now they have a better arsenal - and one you are unsure how to deal with. It's all part of the learning process.

Just keep in mind that all ruts end - whether in a rut during a class or several months it WILL pass and you will be better for having gone through it.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 11:54am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the support guys. I'm glad I'm not experiencing something unique -in that I was just sucking really hard and would do better taking up golf. I do guess that I roll against the same people a whole lot though I go to both the morning and evening classes generally. I'll try out some new techniques I found to see how that ill change my rut / attitude.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast