Sponsored Links Spacer Image

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 11:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't know why but i rarely even notice when my opponent is southpaw i just sortv get on with it and take openings as i see them, i wouldn't necessarily say southpaws are any harder to fight, especially in muay thai because if they dont stand square then their face is open to a right roundhouse

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:18pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    Practice throwing the straight left to the liver, was one of my staple shots when i did boxing
    > Feint jab, straight to liver, right hook, straight or left hook to head.
    Straight left to the body is one of my main tools. The problem is a straight left to the body on a righty, will land on the belly button area. I shoot it there very often, about as often as they think a straight left upstairs is coming. But it doesnt impact the liver area, unless they are squared up something awful. You practically have to hit behind/under their elbow on their right side to have effect.

I have been working for several months on jabbing and crouching inward, then using a left hook to get around to that side. But it's a very risky shot, opening me up to right uppers/hooks/straights. I'll make that trade gladly, but I pay for it often. It only takes one perfect shot there to have effect, so if they don't drop like a rock immediately, it's a clear indicator that we missed the liver, or didnt impact heavily enough to carry into it.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:45pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, most of the people i sparred with in boxing were cross-training MT fighters, so they were pretty squared. May as well just throw it at the solar plexus then, hurts like a bitch too, i don't think any shot would really be worth it to go right into the straight danger zone.

Ever thought of going orthodox with a dominant front hand? Killer jabs and front hooks seem to be the most important punches in boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 3:07pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever thought of going orthodox with a dominant front hand? Killer jabs and front hooks seem to be the most important punches in boxing.
    Thought about it a few times, especially since my right shoulder (think I tore part of the rotator years back and never healed right) seems to fatigue quicker than my left, I spend a lot of extra time building it up to compensate. But if someone is quick enough to catch and slap it down hard, after about 10 good tugs on it, I don't want to throw it anymore.

I think I might be too far set in southpaw ways, like my whole body is built to function like that now. Could be worth experimenting with, but it seems a lot like learning to walk all over again.

I like sparring with other southpaws, lead hand uppercuts are a whole lot easier, jabs dont get tangled up, and you don't eat the power hand straight into your face if it catchs you. But I'd probably run into some other stuff I'm not as familar with if a clever righty was weaving the thread.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 3:21pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would probably take you a few months but the more i think about the idea the more i like it. You would gain the benefits all these righties who fight southpaw get without the negatives. Plus you'd find it easier to get fights and information your coaches pass on to you will actually be relevant for your stance.

Won't work for me in MT since i'm also dominant left legged, and it is not worth sacrificing for mean front hooks. If i ever go back to boxing (unlikely) i'll definitely give it a try though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 7:26pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done it for years as the result of an injury early in my training. I fractured my left arm and had to fight right handed for a while until it healed.

Since it was early on in my traiing, its effected me to this day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2008 1:13am

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch any of Jerome Le Banner's fights, especially as a right handed southpaw. He uses his lead hooks well, and does kindof a lead overhand to get over the opponent's guard. He also has one of the hardest jabs I've seen, knocking Goodridge on his ass, and a good "weak" side cross.

Doing it right:

YouTube - Jerome Le Banner vs Francisco Filho - K1 2000 in Osaka

Sefo showing the cross works both ways with mismatched leads.

YouTube - K1 Jerome Le Banner VS Ray Sefo

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2008 7:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    chi those were awesome vidoes, thanks for posting

anyway my shoulder and elbow are 100% again

really, i can't decide which stance to stick with. Just started training again this week, i'll have results soon :P test both stances out

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 2:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tactics please

BTW, i am going to write up a 10 page article on Southpaw tactics if anyone is interested (with references of course). Almost every trainer is orthodox and doesn't know the intricacies of fighting reversed, so we are kind of forced to relearn everything ourselves. Will need a week to finish off my uni exams first though, have to get my priorities right.
    I, for one, am waiting epxectantly for this southpaw tactics guide. I've done a fair bit of research online and it seems like all I can find are ways to fight a soithpaw, but not AS a southpaw.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 10:47pm

Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ya I'd definitely want to see a guide
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast