Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 10:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    I think BL was a proponent of fighting with your strong hand forward...do you find having the strong hand forward changes your strategy at all? Personally I feel like I have to be more aggressive, since my weaker hand/foot is back and thus can't deliver that nice, powerful cross to someone who charges me. So I have to be the aggressor and impose my strong front hand on them first.
    Yes, I agree with you. I do have to fight more agressively, but I enjoy that style more. But another major reason is the ability to block and parry easier as I'm using my dominant hand to do so. I also find myself making my bod slimmer and turned to the side more when having my dominant hand forward. Also, I find it easier slipping into a clinch fighting it southpaw. I can immediatly secure my first hand across the crown of the head with my more powerful hand, preventing any speedsters out there from doing a quick exit before i can wrap my other hand around.

But take all this with a grain of salt, because my left arm still isn't 100%, and that remaining couple percent is still hampering my ability to throw a proper jab and front left hook, hence the reason why i switched stances in the first place. After I get back from vacation my arm should be back to normal entirely, and I'll try "starting from scratch". See if I stll enjoy southpaw as much and keeping it as my primary, which really i do see myself doing.
    Last edited by MrHuggables; 6/23/2008 10:28pm at .

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 10:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a righty and feel awkward whenever I switch to southpaw. I don't work southpaw often, and end up standing too square, and not putting enough hip or power into...pretty much everything. Much more limited repertoire, too.

If I'm doing throws or otherwise clinching, I can switch much more easily, however.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:42am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Righties that fight southpaw all the time are better than people who think they are cool because they switch back and forth. Just ask Bruce Lee!

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 8:46am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a rightie who fights southpaw, but that's a side effect of doing FMA - training with a weapon with strong side forwards - and one day just realized that I had gradually switched over to my right side forwards as my default.

The only thing I don't like about it is my rear roundhouse isn't up to what I would like it to be on my left side.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 9:06am

Style: Pankration/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i never really thought of this until the OP brought it up.. I wish i could fight both south and orthadox....

OP do you find yourself fighting better in anyways.. have you tested it with some hard sparring??? would like to know the outcome

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 9:41am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    That fighters who learn to fight in "both stances" are usually mediocre on both sides.
    People who just use it as a gimmick tend to be crappy and annoy the living hell out of me. That said, especially when there are kicks involved I see a lot of legitmate reasons to switch stances to creat different angles if you specifically train the differences in strategy between matched and unmatched lead.

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 9:51am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper
    I'm a rightie who fights southpaw, but that's a side effect of doing FMA - training with a weapon with strong side forwards - and one day just realized that I had gradually switched over to my right side forwards as my default.

The only thing I don't like about it is my rear roundhouse isn't up to what I would like it to be on my left side.
    I kickbox orthodox most of the time, but I knife and stick fight with right side forward most of the time(although I break that rule much more often with my weapon, as some angles require stepping in with the other leg). When i'm right side forward, i tend to profile more, and work a more outside game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 12:13pm

Style: Transitioning as usual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a spin, I'm actually left-handed, but grip and strike right oriented. However, Judo is a rare case where I feel semi-comfortable right or left gripped, and might try things with that in the future.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 12:21pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With weapons and grappling it's easier to be more ambidextrous. In fact it's pretty much a requirement. But this is striking here.and you're more mobile if you pick one balanced stance and you more or less stick with it. Thus all of your major weapons are perfectly refined for the range at which you will be using them. It's all burned into your guts on an instinctual level, you dont know, you dont think, you just act and react.

Personally I see no advantage to fighting southpaw if you're a righty, you take away power and sneakyness from your main weapon by putting it out front, no big deal when you're holding a knife or sword, but when you're punching you've basically just turned your strong hand into your jab hand and robbed it of power for no real reason.

This is one of those things that need to be judged on an individual basis. Some will certainly use it better then others, but my experience has shown me that "switch fighters" especially suck it up. Maybe if you fight with your right forward all the time then you'll get good at it but my experience has been that "orthodox" is "orthodox" for a reason.

All depending on the individuals personal ability. Citing the rare guy that's a righty that fights southpaw or the even rarerer decent switch fighter is fairly meaningless when they are 1 out of 100.

If you do things the way things are traditionally done you'll probably ultimately wind up bettter.

Edit: And diont think there wasn't a time when I was like "man...I sure would like to be able to fight equally well from both sides". After realizing that it just confused things for me more then my opponent, i quit.

and some people are just weird about their body.My little brother is right handed, does most things right handed, but bats lefty and shoots a rifle lefty.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 6/24/2008 12:30pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 1:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nexttime
    i never really thought of this until the OP brought it up.. I wish i could fight both south and orthadox....

OP do you find yourself fighting better in anyways.. have you tested it with some hard sparring??? would like to know the outcome

I haven't "tested" out southpaw in hard sparring yet as my left arm still hasn't allowed me to do so. I may find that I get my ass kicked doing so and will revert back to orthodox, time will tell. :P
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast