Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 5:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu jitsu /judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wanderlei Silva talking smack about Mundials

I agree wanderlei sort off there shouldbe something more then just a medal but only if you win and then but also would pay all belt levels its not like they a lot of money on the mundial

http://www.matratz.com/2008/06/23/wa...talks-mundial/

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judo-jitsu
    I agree wanderlei sort off there shouldbe something more then just a medal but only if you win and then but also would pay all belt levels its not like they a lot of money on the mundial

http://www.matratz.com/2008/06/23/wa...talks-mundial/

This is siting another article as its source, do you happen to have access to the entire interview with him? Or is it not in english?
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 9:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    everyone boycott for 2 years?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 9:11pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the site

Wanderlei Silva openly criticised the International Brazilian jiu-jitsu federation .

Waderlei stated that moving the tournament to California and not paying the athletes damages the sport.

“The fighter must leave Brasil, pay for his expenses, it is all hard and if he does not have sponsors, he must pay from his pocket and in the end he does not receive any money prize. The organisers must pay something, I do not understand why they still don’t” Wanderlei said .

He believes that is the resone why most BJJ fighters stop competing in their own art and go to MMA. He also said that the fighters can not fight only for the love of the sport, people must eat, live and pay their bills and unfortunately no one can live from love alone.

Reading his interview, I must add that the organisers moved the competition from Brasil to California just for their own interest in expanding even more their business in America, without regard for the brazilian competitors. From 1500 competitors this year, only 250 were brazilians but all the black belt divisions were won by them, showing that no matter where it the comp is held, brazilians are still far ahead in the game.
    In his opinion that is why most BJJ fighters stop competing in their own art and go to MMA. ” the fighters can not fight only for the love of the sport, people must eat, live and pay their bills and unfortunately no one can live from love alone” Wanderlei said .

It is great to have someone like Wand expressing his opinion, but it is unlikely that the organisers will do anything to change the status quo. They are getting rich at the expense of the competitors and see nothing wrong about that.

We talked about this before, but we must ask again and again until something is done about it. Where is all this money going? One person controls the brazilian, american and international federations at once, there are no elections and no transparency at all, cash flows from sponsors and competitors alike and in the end medals and t-shirts are the only prizes. The federations are run like private businesses, aiming for big profit, but taking all possible advantages and tax breaks that sports organisations enjoy. When is this going to end? Sadly we do not have the answer, but until it happens, we will express our disappointment and from others like Wand that have the guts to come out and speak against this shame.

Roberto Atalla

riograpplingclub

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 10:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu jitsu /judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its tatame magazine

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 10:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No matter where they hold it, more people from that area will be represented. At the same time, it's a lot harder for a Brazilian to come to America than it is for an American to come to Brazil.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 7:34pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I Agree with Silva, espceially about the part where most fighters stop doing jiu jitsu and start doing MMA. I was fine doing sport jiu jitsu tournaments until the need for money arose. Sponsors help cover many expenses such as gis, registration, and sometimes even hotels, but theres still so much more that has to be paid for.

I dont think they can afford to pay their fighters- not even half and certainly not all, but offering cash prizes may help a little- its what the Copa de Mundo did (ironically they're not around anymore).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 8:55pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an amateur sport. You don't get paid, you need to deal with that. Paying the athletes would be awesome but it's not gonna happen unless the sport itself goes pro and I don't think BJJ has the spectator appeal to ever do that.

I'd also like to add that judo athletes should be paid from placement in national and international competitions as well. Retro-active payments for the last twenty years should be assessed immediately. I expect a hefty check shortly...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 11:15am

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny how ONE MAN pretty much controls all the big bjj comps around the world and get's away with it. Since the sport is still in his early teens in the US(as I see it) things like this will still fly, but eventually americans will see the advantage of controling the sport in their own country!

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 5:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And who is that one man?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast