Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 9:52am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And find somewhere with a squat rack. My gym is the only gym in my town that seems to cater for serious weight lifting at all and its only got a smith machine, which is shite. Currently I'm cleaning the weight up, overhead pressing it over the head and onto my back, which is a bit of a pain, but not a problem at the low weights I'm doing. Higher weights though are going to be a bitch. They have said here they will be getting a squat rack though so hopefully it will turn up soon.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:08am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    And find somewhere with a squat rack. My gym is the only gym in my town that seems to cater for serious weight lifting at all and its only got a smith machine, which is shite. Currently I'm cleaning the weight up, overhead pressing it over the head and onto my back, which is a bit of a pain, but not a problem at the low weights I'm doing. Higher weights though are going to be a bitch. They have said here they will be getting a squat rack though so hopefully it will turn up soon.

holy jesus puppet-fucking christ... that sounds terrible

what kind of weights are we talking about here? I could never even think of taking any thing over 225 over my head like that.. let alone what I've been doing on the 5x5 squat plan.

here's a kind of DIY thread from crossfit for squat racks... there's got to be SOME kind of alternative for you. (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33314)

plus, there're always dead lifts
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh. Nowhere near that much yet. I'm only on week 2 of the 5x5, so it'll be 40kg next time I do it. When the weight gets to heavy for this I'm going to give the Steinborn lift a go.... but hopefully by then they will be getting a squat rack anyway.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    honesty, try experimenting with front squats off the clean. They are a bitch if you have poor wrist/elbow flexibility (like me), but they are better on the back and hit your legs better than back squats. You can also try overhead squats (remember to use a snatch grip) - it will strenghten your back (and improve its mobility.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 1:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey,

I've read many of your posts, Teh_El_Macho, as well as the stronglifts 5x5... and many of Ross's articles.

My only problem with being able to keep up a schedule like that is the lack of time. Because in addition to training Muay Thai 3 times a week, I also work full time, study for my accounting designation, and I also do volunteer work. So to be able to consistently get in twice a week of weight lifting is pretty difficult.

So I was wondering if what I had written earlier, about the 3 sets of 5 for the exercises I mentioned, (or I guess i'll move it up to 5x5 instead) would be significant enough to build strength and maybe a bit of size, even if done only once a week... or would it be necessary to have a minimum of 2 weight training sessions per week in order to gain strength?

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 5:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what Ive read on the stronglifts website, 2 a week works but is slower, 1 a week doesnt really...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12