Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 7:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [
    Luckily, it's not my first rodeo. I've been hunting with labs for better than two decades now. It's also not my first weim. My previous weim had a nasty disorder that basically meant he wasn't much for the field. He made a great lap dog, though.

With all my labs, retrieving just kind of happened. It didn't take a whole lot of effort. I'm still trying to read up on how to put him on point. It's not something that I'm at all familiar with.
    its natural. he is still young but he will get it.

What is your opinion on force fetch training?
    its good to get him to fetch, but with a dog like this keep your commands simple. you want him to go out a fetch, bring it back and sit in front of you with it in his mouth. then you can drop command, or reach out and take it (its good practice to have him hold it in his mouth until you tell him otherwise, I found this develops of softer mouth and stops him from randomly dropping game).

when he gets this down, he needs to get comfortable having to pick up something with feathers and wings. my dog was a little apprehensive at first, so I cut the wings off a pheasant and attached it to his dummy. he got it.

I've been reading Gun Dog. He brings up some interesting points on training WHOA using a large board to help define space for the dog to eat on and later learn as a limiting area. Unfortunately, I don't have the space for that. At the moment, I feel the weim will best be used as a pointer/retriever, but I'm not sure how severe the pointer training should be. I'd be happy for him to hold quail and bring back a dropped bird. Some of the material and people I've spoken with regarding pointers have incredibly complicated regimes for training. It's nothing I have any experience with.

We've been doing some play training with a scented dummy. He's getting some light retrieving in and we'll start playing with dragging the dummy through some semi-high grass to get him looking. Being that he's just 8 weeks, we're not doing anything hard/harsh. It's all just for play.

I
    yeah, I really don't think you need to train a natural pointer to point. over handling this breed will piss it off and frustrate it. he knows what he's doing. your job is work him properly. the main thing is getting him to move on once he is on something. a 'take it or leave it' command. this is meant to stop him milling-around. as long as your covering ground at a decent pace, this shouldn't be much of a problem.

i did a little research and found someone who know what they are talking about here:

http://www.weimaraner-association.org.uk/field.php

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 8:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your weim is gorgeous. I love this breed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12