Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 8:15pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphaltuus
    I don't care about him not getting knocked out. My point is that I think Kendal could be a great deal better than he has been so far.
    See, that's a completely different thing. Not living up to his potential is not even close to the same thing as not challenging himself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 8:16pm

Style: Beginners Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, and the way for him to be a great deal better is not to move up a weight class where he would get massacred, but instead to take advantage of his height and reach advantage and use that to become a more dominant fighter in a lighter division. (And that's been enough of a challenge for him as is.) I can understand a fighter wanting to push themselves more, like Anderson Silva breaking into the light heavyweights, but Kendall=/=Silva.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 8:20pm

Style: Movement

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    See, that's a completely different thing. Not living up to his potential is not even close to the same thing as not challenging himself.
    I think living up to your potential is just that, challenging yourself to be the best that you can be at the present point in time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 8:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol Kendall Silva?

Well, that's part of my point to. I mean, if you make it through the TUF series, despite all the bullshit they show about drama blah blah blah. But if you make it through the TUF series, and fight 4 (I think 4 fights right?) in 6 weeks time, imagine what you could do given months.

Then again, perhaps that is to blame. Perhaps he feels that his current training doesn't compare to the rush he felt when he knew he had to fight for his immediate advancement. Do you think an experience like that makes sparring seem a little lack luster?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 8:28pm

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disadvantage, no. I'm saying that there seems to be a lack of motivation on Grove's part from what I see.

I see Grove now, and all that I am saying is that I don't sense a hunger in him when I see him perform.
    Your message has become a little less clear. You say, "Disadvantage, no." Does that mean you don't think he should go up a weight class to challenge himself? Because that's not what you implied with your original message:

When a fighter is six feet six inches tall, at what point do you think he/she should move into the light heavy/heavy weight division?

In my opinion, it should be the goal of a fighter to challenge himself, and relying on advantages against opponents is to weaken ones own abilities.
    So, be specific. What exactly are you trying to say? What is your point?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 8:30pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iphaltuus, you seem real obsessed about weight, and it's starting to cloud your thinking a little. It's obvious that Kendal's height advantage would not serve him well by moving up a weight class. Also, Kendal trains with BJ Penn, and I'm sure he trains his tail off to become the best fighter he can. Keep in mind Kendal was fighting a former world champ, with over 40 professional fights, that was not an easy fight. To sum up my point..
    Kendal Grove moving up a weight class, bad

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 8:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't care about him not getting knocked out. My point is that I think Kendal could be a great deal better than he has been so far.
    He could be better by going up in weight classes and fighting tougher opponents? Please explain this logic to me.

Disadvantage, no. I'm saying that there seems to be a lack of motivation on Grove's part from what I see. You don't have to explain obvious things about how fighters take fighting. Neither one of us knows what's going through the minds of any of these fighters, unless I'm mistaken and you know them personally.
    We don't need to know him personally, he says in interviews including the one shown right at the beginning of the fight saying it was 'do or die'.

I could point out any number of cases of fighters throughout history jumping weight classes. A lot of them did it to find bigger game.
    A lot of fighter have jumped weight classes but they're usually going down. Only a few have gone up. BJ Penn went up, but he's one of the few with the talent to do so. Couture went up because the competition was easier, not harder. Silva is going because there's no one but jobbers in the MW division. The few instances of fighters going up in weight is way out numbered by the fighters going down to be more competitive.

I see Grove now, and all that I am saying is that I don't sense a hunger in him when I see him perform.
    That's because you're an idiot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 8:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I take that back. I understand that at any given time a fighter has to have certain advantages/disadvantages in a fight. But I don't wish to emphasize on the disadvantage alone. I don't mean that I think he should just stack unbearable weight against himself when he's just coming out of rehab being knocked out by two fighters in a row.

Plain and simple, my point is that he isn't at the grade which I thought he would be right now, he's being held back in 4th when I think he should be in 6th. TUF with Kendall was the first series I was introduced to, and I did like him a lot. I don't ride on his career or anything, but seeing him in the main event against Tanner wasn't what I expected.

On a sub note, I also feel that Tanner's game is looking more linear when compared to the fighters of new. I saw a lot of wrestling in him and felt his strikes were a bit loose comparatively.

Back to the main issue, I feel that it is clearly apparent that Kendall Grove isn't mentally sound right now, or doesn't seem to be. I think that it has effected his training and his training has effected the results in the ring. I think that he would be quite capable of fighting light heavy/heavy if he was willing to really grind himself out.

As it is right now, I feel that he's coasting on what he has, and am not sure if he himself thinks he can be any better that he already is.

Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    We don't need to know him personally, he says in interviews including the one shown right at the beginning of the fight saying it was 'do or die'.
    First off, speak for yourself Raz. Secondly interviews don't mean **** and you should know that. All this talk about **** you in the ass makes me think that your watching cod pieces, not strikes and subs. Shouldn't call people an idiot when you believe the media. "Oh ****, he said he's going to kill him in the fight. You think he'll go to jail?" "Oh ****, Emmit Smith is going to Disneyland!!"

You see how Happy Panda wants me to be clear and has patience? That's because he knows something about actually being in competitive fighting.
    Last edited by Iphaltuus; 6/22/2008 8:46pm at .

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 8:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why the hell should Grove go up in weight when he's can't even dominate in his own division? Before his win yesterday he had two loses in a row to jobbers (yes, I think Cote is a jobber and I think he'll get killed by Almeda).

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 8:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back to the main issue, I feel that it is clearly apparent that Kendall Grove isn't mentally sound right now, or doesn't seem to be. I think that it has effected his training and his training has effected the results in the ring. I think that he would be quite capable of fighting light heavy/heavy if he was willing to really grind himself out.

As it is right now, I feel that he's coasting on what he has, and am not sure if he himself thinks he can be any better that he already is.
    What are you basing this on? Please give examples of what you mean.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast