Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 11:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Learning BJJ and grappling in a MMA focused class?

I've been wanting to start learning grappling for a while now. After lots of search I found a place where I can learn BJJ (which sort of a miracle actually) But the gi only classes are private classes, which I can't afford at the moment. The next and only other alternative is a MMA class.

So my questions is how well a person with no knowledge of grappling (other than knowing what it is :P and some basic understanding of what guard etc means ) can learn grappling in a MMA class ? I understand it really depends on how the classes are taught and the instructor says he especially focuses on BJJ at the classes. But I still have my concerns.

I'll be attending to a demo class soon. But I wouldn't mind hearing what your experience were like in a similar situation. Or if it's a good idea at all?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 11:54am

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say check it out and if you like it and it works, go for it. However, it's my personal opinion that you should take pure grappling classes before doing the MMA thing. For some reason, in no gi classes in general, people tend to lose sight of technique and build bad habits. But if you're getting quality instruction and you're learning there, then awesome. What school are you talking about? Is there a website?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 12:04pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm coming on the oposite direction in the sense that I'm trying to do more mma type of training instead of pure grappling, but that's just the brawler in me.

Try a class and see how it goes...if the instruction is solid on basics you'll learn something, but be aware of bad habits that come from learning half baked grappling!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 10:58pm

Style: No gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it really depends on what you want to focus on.

there are some sport jiu jitsu moves and positions that do not work in mma simply because you can get punched (obviously though, you can modifiy them, but you wouldn't play them the same).

so if your focus is to do sport jits just be aware that there are techniques that you will not be shown.

on the other hand, mma will help you learn grappling dealing with strikes.

in the end though, mma with grappling is better than not learning grappling at all.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 1:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a member of a SBG, I will use the "I" method. The "I" I'm referring to is Isolation. I'm a big believer of Isolation first. Especially when it comes to grappling for MMA. There are certain concepts in grappling that need to be grasped regardless of the type of grappling you are going to do, whether BJJ, MMA, Sub Grappling, Self Defense, etc. I'll use this example:

Standing in Base

YouTube - Stand Up in Base BJJ

Yeah, old video and I don't like how he is kinda looking down while doing it but it shows an example of a technique but a concept as well that is applicable to to the various types of grappling you perform. The problem comes when you add strikes. People naturally don't like to get hit and if you try to teach them the techniques with the strikes added then they will be more worried about the strikes than with performing the techniques and applying the concepts correctly which usually results in bad habits.

I suggest keeping the idea that strikes can occur in mind while performing your training as it will help you transition when you add strikes, i.e., if you are on your back in the guard, keeping everything tight to avoid space for the other person to strike; if you find yourself in a bad position, getting into the habit of executing your escapes immediately to avoid getting smashed. These concepts, again, will help you in any of the various grappling you do as well as when strikes are added to the table.

I believe that doing this in isolation first and getting the fundamentals down and than adding the things that are specific to the type of grappling you will be doing afterwards is better for your success in whatever grappling you decide to do.

My opinion, what's yours.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 3:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a bit late to post this but thanks for all the advice. I finally got my demo class tonight. Tonight's class was almost only grappling related... with clear instructions as far as i can see. I was the gym clumsy but I really enjoyed it. A first timer can be annoying for everyone i guess.

And now , I can understand why people are hooked on bjj or generally grappling, even though injuries, ringworms and nasty infections etc. :)

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If what you want is pure grappling, you're not gonna get much in MMA classes. In fact, what you get is probably gonna suck tremendously from a pure grappling perspective. A lot of jiujitsu ends up on the cutting room floor in any MMA class. This is mostly for the better as that means no inverted flying de la riva, but at the same time, you're gonna lose a lot of essentials that would help you to understand jiujitsu, especially if you want it for its own sake.