Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 6:27pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Forearm pain, possible to get forearm splints?

So after a fairly brutal bit of drill and sparring, at the end of it, my forearms were aching, not the muscle, but like further in. It almost reminded me of shin splints that i used to get playing soccer.

Is it possible to get the equivalent of 'shin splints' in your forearms? Anything I can do to speed up recovery? I'm just finally getting back in my groove of training 3-4 days a week.
    For soccer, i just had to take a long break, which wouldn't be much fun.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 6:50pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The closest equivalent of shin splints on the forearms would lateral epicondytis. But if your pain is due primarily to impact (and not muscle strain and inflamation of the fascia as in shin splints), then it's not the same or equivalent.

Anyways, ice it. Ice it for 15 minutes several times a day, at least twice. And while you do that, take 2 ibuprofen every 3-4 hours during your waking time (this is not optional.) You got to reduce the swelling ASAP and as soon as you get the symptoms. Otherwise, recovery takes longer. Do this for several days until it goes down.

During the times in which you do not ice it, put icy hot and rub that **** deep. Your hands will get tired so use a narrow cylindrical object (a 1 or 2" pvc pipe, a rattan stick or a marker) and use to massage the area.

Don't do this, however, if you have bruising or bumps. For those cases, just apply icy hot with a mild massage.

If you can, cover the ointed area with a 2-4" ace band (this helps reduce swelling.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 7:33pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My hands hurt after bag work- should I ice them as well? Now don't tell me to stick them in the micro wave, Macho....
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 11:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends dude. If it's arthritic pain or just pain from banging away, alternating between heat (via icy hot or tiger balm), and ice helps best (with massaging between the knuckles and between the metacarpals with tiger balm or icy hot.)

If it's pain from an old fracture or dislocation (or osteoarthritis aggravated by an old fracture or dislocation), longer, more frequent icying works best.

The important thing is to always start with ice to reduce the swelling. Then you wait about 15-30 minutes for the body part to return to normal temperature before applying heat.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 4:27pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try the icing. For some reason, I thought icing aggravated arthritis- you know, old folks like Florida for the weather,etc. It always helped myback
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 9:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heat does help with arthritis (specially rheumatoid arthritis), and it works much better for things like a busted bursa in certain areas (like in your toe if you were to get turf toe). But ice works much better at reducing an inflamation due to a pinched nerve or osteoarthritis due to a fracture, dislocation, a ligament injury or impact.

That's another reason for combining both ice and heat therapies, but usually by just reducing the inflamation via icying, things go back to normal pretty quickly.

It's a hit and miss, and the effectiveness of ice depends on how quickly you use it. If you use ice within 24-48 hours of an inflamation occuring, chances are that it will work almost immediately. Wait longer and things get a bit shittier.

Also, for some things, ice doesn't work well (.ie. arthritis due to aging rather than recent injury.) My first experience with icying not working at all was when I got turf toe. I applied ice all the time and that didn't do ****. One of my sis (with a MS in physical therapist) recommended to stop icying and use heat - apparently, in some cases, a busted bursa needs more fluid circulation and pliability (while remaining immobile mind you) to heal itself. Icying wasn't helping.

Alas, the swelling and pain was gone in a couple of days. It stills bothers me after almost two years but it's ok. That's been the only time I can remember where icying didn't help and in fact was aggravating things.

Play as you go and see how it works. Remember, this is purely based on personal annecdotes.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral
    Is it possible to get the equivalent of 'shin splints' in your forearms?

Let me guess ...

Your pain is located at either:
    • The tricep insertion point into the elbow,
    • The top of the forearm about 2 inches down from the elbow,
    • The bottom of the forarm about 3 inches down from the elbow,

or a combination of the above.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 6:52pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Tom, it's a combination of the latter two bullet points, all the way up to about an inch or two away from my wrists.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 6:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read this post yesterday and thought "forearm pain?". Did some hard conditioning and sparring last night and guess what? I'm pretty sure it's not "splints" though, just strained muscles. I'm going to throw some Dit Da Jow on them for now and then follow TEM's advice after I put the rugrats to bed.