Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 12:01am

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to be clear, there are no belt ranks in Sombo. Maybe some goofy ranks Stateside, but not with any credible Sombo organization.

Aaron Fields

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Fields
    Just to be clear, there are no belt ranks in Sombo. Maybe some goofy ranks Stateside, but not with any credible Sombo organization.

Aaron Fields
    Not being familiar with Sambo I am curious about that. I know some schools have their own internal ranking structure. What is/was the traditional ranking structure of Sambo? Also, if thre is no belt rank and not other type of ranking, how are competitors grouped for tournaments? Is it similar to Submission Grappling with uses experience level in terms of years as a baseline? If Sambo Steve is out there, I'm curious what his input is on this as well.

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 10:10am

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Soviets use the same grading structure for Sombo as they did for all sports, titles (master of sport etc.) based upon success and the level of the success.

In the US there are a few "sombo" folks who have an internal system for grading, as you mentioned. Nevertheless, it has always been viewed as dubious by the community as a whole.

My experience in the former Eastern Block was that fighters were seeded and matched in categories based off their experience level. I am not familiar with the rule specifics of submission wrestling, so I have no point of comparison between the two. The tournaments that I was participating in were high level so there wasn't the need to divide experience levels. Lower level domestic tournaments were usually viewed as an opportunity for the national team to scout talent.

The Soviet model is no longer employed and there have been a few folks in the West who give "black belts," yet there is no standard. My understanding is that some of the black belts are bogus and some are given from legit Sombo folks who wanted to create a reference point that would be recognizable to the combative/combative sport community as a whole.

Steve and I have been kicking around ideas that would stay with the intent of sombo for years, but would not be bullshit. Of which we have come up with nothing. In addition, it would be specific to only to the ASA organization for internal use alone. The main thing we are waiting on is a system that is universal on an international level. That way the criteria are consistent and quantifiable across the board.

Sombo as a whole needs to recover and get the internal stuff smoothed out.

Our gym has a Master of Sport in Sombo and Judo, of which there are more on the Eastern sea-board.

At this point anybody pushing a bunch of titles etc within Sombo, who are not of the Soviet era is likely peddling non-sense.

Aaron Fields

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 10:20am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    Most of those guys looked like 170'ers only Jesse and riddle looked like authentic 185'ers

Usually that's how it goes on Tuf
    Cale is a natural 185 lber. He cuts from 210-215 at 6'1''.

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 4:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    Most of those guys looked like 170'ers only Jesse and riddle looked like authentic 185'ers

Usually that's how it goes on Tuf
    Some of them are fighting above their weight class for a shot at making it into he ufc. Some of them just buckle down and make the cut after.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12