Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 5:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I jump rope - 6 sets of 3 mins with 30 - 60 seconds rest in between. It's not time consuming, it's high intensity, and I can do it on the back porch.

When I'm training for races I run in the evenings after the kids go to bed and it's not so damned hot.

I also read about this workout posted on grapplers guide...

you do 6 mins of exercise with 2 mins rest. 4 sets total...

1st min - pushups
    2nd min - cross collar choke abs
    3rd min - elbow drags (across the floor)
    4th min - bodyweight squats
    5th min - side to side bridge
    6th min - mountain climbers

30 mins total.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been working out my own crossfit-style workouts for the mornings recently. A personal favourite at the moment is a five round circuit of muscle-ups, kettlebell swings and 400m sprints.

I try and keept mixing it up. Basically I'll do anywhere from three to six rounds of any combination of exercises from sprints, pull-ups, muscle-ups, kettlebell swings, kettlebell snatches, kettlebell cleans, push-ups, squats, pistols, ring dips, burpees etc. Keeps things interesting so I don't get bored.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 5:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard
    I've been working out my own crossfit-style workouts for the mornings recently. A personal favourite at the moment is a five round circuit of muscle-ups, kettlebell swings and 400m sprints.

I try and keept mixing it up. Basically I'll do anywhere from three to six rounds of any combination of exercises from sprints, pull-ups, muscle-ups, kettlebell swings, kettlebell snatches, kettlebell cleans, push-ups, squats, pistols, ring dips, burpees etc. Keeps things interesting so I don't get bored.
    Have you ever seen that book by Ross Enamait "Never Gymless"? He's got a lot of that kind of stuff in it.

I'm not sure if I can even do a muscle up.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 6:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poo-Jitsu
    Have you ever seen that book by Ross Enamait "Never Gymless"? He's got a lot of that kind of stuff in it.

I'm not sure if I can even do a muscle up.
    Haven't read it but it sounds good, I'll try and check it out.

Muscle-ups aren't all that hard, it's more a technique thing than raw strength. The two important points are maintaining the false grip and pushing forward through the rings rather than straight up.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 3:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    I don't do tabatas, intervals, etc in the am. I need something with a quick recovery time, and good HIIT wipes me out for a couple of hours. Steady state cardio usually has me getting back to normal by the time I'm heading out the door. So I jog. If I had access to a stationary bike, rower, pool, etc, that would also work.

It's probably being old.
    I feel the same but seeing as all I have to do for work is sit at my desk, I think I'll give it a go
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you don't quite need to go balls out, seeking for the maximum possible of reps when doing tabatas.

All you need to do is to use the 20s/10s go/pause scheme and tune the intensity according to your needs. The 10s pause comes handy as you plow away, not just physically, but mentally. You stop and focus on how you will execute your reps in the next 20 seconds, for example.

Also, if you choose to use a mild rep speed, you can change the go/pause parameters. ie. 40sec/10-20sec, 60sec/10-30sec. Or you can choose a number of reps (20, 40, 60) regardless of time of completion followed by a fixed, unchangeable number of seconds of rest (10, 20, 30, 40, 60s).

These kind of changes help as motivational tools to perform long sets of exercises, which could be come monotonous.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 12:21pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be clear, I do harder workouts in the PM. It's just my AM workouts where I find I have to take it easier in order to function at work. Well, or post on sociocide.

Weak

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 12:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with HappyOldGuy...most days I train hardest in the afternoon or evening. Mainly because my body has not recovered from the previous evening's training I'm not up for much more than cardio in the morning.

Been meaning to get in a weights workout on a weekday morning, we'll see how that goes.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123