221921 Bullies, 4062 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 7:12am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cardio in the AM - What do you do?

So I'm considering doing some cardio in the morning before work, but other than running, I can't think of anything else to do.

What do you guys do?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Weak

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 7:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three letters.

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 7:30am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wake my wife up for sex.

Weak

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 7:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, to be serious...why don't you do a weights workouts (do you have access to a barbell and some decent weights?)?

Where do you run? Do you have a park or track where you could do a few other exercises?

Some other ideas:

1. tabata sprints
    2. stair runs
    3. interval runs
    4. lying start runs
    5. jump squats
    6. skip (eg. mix up 20 rounds skipping @ 1min per round, and do some pushups, burpees, trunk rotations between rounds)
    7. agility drills (if you have the luxury of running in a park you can set out 4 markers at different points from a central marker (about 5-10 metres away from the centre). Do 1min sprints to different markers always returning to the centre, rest for 1min you can do pushups/upper body/ab stuff, then repeat the sprints for 45 seconds, 30 seconds and 15 seconds maintaining a 1:1 sprint to 'recovery' ratio.

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 7:35am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, really though. Do you have a pull up bar? Usually I will try to run a mile or two, and when I get home - 50 pull ups and 50 chin ups, in sets of 10-20 until I hit the 50 for each. Then I will go directly to two sets of fifty incline pushups (feet up on the couch), then do 3 or 4 sets of 25 dips (using the handles on my treadmill), and then I will do a little free weight routine right from that- curls, triceps, a couple different things, then back to 2 more sets of the push ups. I do all these excercises in 25 minutes or so and it's a nice little routine to start my day.

I realize this might not be exactly the 'cardio' you are looking for, but you asked 'what do you do'. I would hit the heavy bag, but it hangs in the garage right under my bedroom and when I hit it the whole room shakes so I would wake my wifey and baby.
    Last edited by BudoMonkey; 6/20/2008 7:38am at .

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 7:53am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In few weeks, after I've settled into my new weights programme, I'm going to be adding a light (20 - 30 minute) run before breakfast for 4 days of the week. hopefully I can get into the habit over the summer whilst its nice, and continue over winter....

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to live right on the coast and would run along the seafront, which was a really nice way to start the day. Now I'm in the middle of London and there's not many parks around.

I found one and started running but discovered it was some kind of enclosure for sheltered housing and that i was scaring the elderly so now the only option is to jog the streets, which is pretty shitty.

Thanks for the suggestions, I may have to get a pull up bar and some dumbells, I don't have any as I do any lifting in the gym usually.

I think sprints is a good way to go, thanks Lilly. Just need to find a suitable place to do it...
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 8:58am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The following are simple ideas of using one to three exercises back to back. The routines are their own warm up by starting slow. As you progress you crank up the intensity either by

a) increasing the number of reps per set in the circuit and/or
    b) increasing the speed in executing the reps per set and/or
    c) decreasing the rest time between circuits.

Also, it gives you a way to cool down (which everyone should spend at least a couple of minutes always) by reversing the trend in intensity.

At any point, you can use any of these circuits in "waves". You start slow as a warm up, then pick up the intensity, then you reduce it, then you pick it up

So, some ideas:

1. Skipping in 2-3 minute rounds, 1 minute of ACTIVE recovery in between - shadow box or just move around, don't stay still (that's what active recovery means). The first round is simply a warm up so I don't really crank up the skipping until the middle of the second round.

You can take brief brakes within a round, so long as you make the best effort to keep going. Effort in exertion is what counts (which should elicit adaptation.)

2. Skipping w/o a rope. Yep, I sometimes just don't feel like it (I'm always clunky and clumsy with that **** when I try to move my knees high and ****), so I just hop in the grass with wearable 2.5lbs wrist weights simulating the motion of moving the rope. Active recovery as mentioned above.

3. Alternating sets of jumping jacks and cherry pickers (50 reps each). 30-60 seconds of break in between. The first few sets you start slow, as a warm up. As you progress, you attempt to complete the 50 reps as fast as possible. The challenge is to switch from jumping jacks to cherry pickers (they look the same , but oh no, they work differently.)

4. Dumbell swings into push presses (with semi-light weights), 20 reps per set at a time, short break in between. At first you start slow, picking up the pace as you get warmed up. 1 minute break every 3-4 minutes.

5. A circuit of the following (done non-stop, each set done per time), with as little break between the circuits as possible.

20 push ups
    20 abdominal crunches
    20 bent-over dumbbell lateral raises/face pulls/barbell rows (face pulls demand that you use less weight.)
    20 bodyweight squats, ass to the ground

At the completion of every 3-4 circuits, drop to the floor and perform samsom stretches and alternating downward and upward facing dog stretches. Then resume the 3-4 circuits as soon as possible.

6. Slam balls. Make your own slam ball and do tabata sets, or sets of fixed reps. Start slow, using the same exercise as a warm up. This will get your heart cranking in no time, so use caution at first until you get the rythm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1FlMUS32A

For all the sugestions given above, don't increase or decrease the number of reps. To change the intensity, modifying the speed with which the reps are executed or increase and/or the rest between circuits.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 6/20/2008 9:03am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 9:16am

Style: Wing Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    So I'm considering doing some cardio in the morning before work, but other than running, I can't think of anything else to do.

What do you guys do?
    I ride my bike for about 30-60 minutes and sometimes ride to work (an extra half hour)

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 9:17am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A rowing machine I reccomend.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast