Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 9:37am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is all I'm going to say. Some of you are being asses. We have had many people not trust the word of bullshido.

People still train various wushu styles, Booj, Krotty and even made up arts. Let's not forget the people that leave here because we are all keyboard warriors. We believe respect is earned not, freely given by hearsay.

I can name three forums, off the top of my head that are exactly the opposite of us right now. Also, don't forget, bullshido is a sports oriented den of posters. You know it, I know it. So, MAP. Empty Flower, and KFM are going to speak to him more than bullshido.

Plus, no matter what you say, logical words will never trump a cool video. I'm sorry Chun looks cool in videos.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/20/2008 9:39am at .

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 10:20am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Plus, no matter what you say, logical words will never trump a cool video.
    And that's the crux of the matter. Whether we want to admit it or not it's far easier for a complete beginner to martial arts to believe the sort of thing they read on other forums, things such as thousands of years of battlefield proven history and deadly techniques, than it is to understand that the only way to learn to fight is through an epic amount of hard work.

If you're bright eyed and new to MAs a flashy video with heavy metal music showing people easily pulling of techniques they see on movies is far more appealing than the harsh reality of training for fighting.

For a lot of people, for many years myself included, it's easier and more appealing to believe the myth than to face the cold hard truth.

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 11:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ving Tsun Nightmare

I am very sorry to hear that your experience with Ving Tsun was less than admirable.
    However, I want to point out that Ving Tsun, A,K.A Wing Chun is quite a formidable art of self-defense.
    Unfortunately, you were probably trained by a sifu who was just outright terrible.
    I am a student of Ving Tsun. My sifu is named William Moy, son of sigung Moy Yat who passed away in 2000.
    Moy Yat was a grand master of Ving Tsun who learned the entire system directly from Yip Man in Hong Kong.
    Moy Yat was also a classmate of Bruce Lee back in 1957.
    The point I'm trying to get at is that in the martial arts, you will always have charlatans who claim to be authentic martial arts instructors when the opposite is true.
    The same holds true for any martial art be it Karate, Tae Kwon DO, Arnis, Silat, BJJ, etc.
    It is important to do serious research in order to weed out the animals who give the martial arts a bad name.
    I am not dismissing your story, I am merely sympathising and empathising with you because I went through the same thing with my aikido instruction several years ago.
    I sincerely hope that you can find a decent martial arts insturctor and become a formidible martial artist.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2009 5:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey I got a mate in Sydney who was looking for a good Wing Chun School to check out.
    So I guess i wont tell him to go to Parramatta? lol.

By the way when you train, train hard, and make sure your instructor knows what he's talking about. IT does'nt matter what style you learn, just train hard, with intent.
    If you wanna be a fighter you gotta think like a fighter.

I think you probably just got in a bad habit of training, with an inexperienced, or inaffective teacher.
    goodluck in the future!
    Last edited by fighting razor; 1/12/2009 5:17pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2009 5:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fighting razor
    Hey I got a mate in Sydney who was looking for a good Wing Chun School to check out.
    So I guess i wont tell him to go to Parramatta? lol.
    He might like to check out Rick Spain's school in Surrey Hills (just up from Central station). They teach Traditional Wing Chun as well as BJJ. Their timetable is here. http://www.combatcentres.com/index.p...0&limitstart=3

Peter
    Last edited by museumtech; 1/12/2009 6:22pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 9:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by museumtech View Post
    They teach Traditional Wing Chun as well as BJJ.
    :5headache

That statement will be a logical fallacy for some people here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2010 12:22am

Style: Jee Shin Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :wcacjack Traditional Wing Chun, the William Cheungs brand of Wing Chun, think of it as the Kyokushin of Wing Chun lol.

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 8:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry mate I'm going to have to call your bluff here. I don't believe you did six months training at all. If you went at all I think you did one or two classes. This is why.

a. The classes run for 1.5 hours, not 1
    b. I'd be very surprised if you didn't buy 'gear' such as t-shirt, mouth guard, shin pads, mma style gloves and a groin protector.
    c. you don't understand that the power comes from deflection and stepping forward (after six months!). Sure, not as much as a boxing hit, but it's faster.
    d. you wasted $1000 not buying any gear and not grading?? Laf. joining cost is < $100 and classes are approx $60-$70 per month. How does that equal $1000?
    e. you didn't spar? Maybe because you didn't buy any gear? What did you do? Watch the other's spar?

I don't know why you felt the need to inflame the wing tsun bashing (again) with this misinformative account.

Here is the general layout of the general wing tsun classes I attend (1.5 hour).

- Little idea form and stepping
    - Lat-sau or wrist grabs or deflection & strike or escaping chokes etc
    - Blitz defence & aggression drills
    - Sparring with protective gear (this forms a large part of training)
    - Warm down (bag punching, chain punching etc)

Hope you find find this more accurate account useful.

Cheers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 9:01pm

Style: Bicep Curls

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you attend the Wing Tsun Parramatta class? If not which school do you attend?

Does your sparring involve actually hitting the person or simulating a hit i.e. lovingly caressing your partners face?
    In my entire 6 months there, we had ONE "sparring" session. I've been hit harder by a woman sparring lightly in kickboxing. Little to no contact was involved, a big circle was formed where random people would attack one guy in the middle... haymakers and sloppy "muay thai" kicks where thrown while the guy in the middle did his/her 15 hit blitz defense combo.

Classes were about 100 a month which allowed me to attend 2 classes a week, 60-70 fee per month lets you attend 1 class a week as I recall. Membership cost about 100? or something I got charged twice because apparently when you quit they don't cancel your Wing Tsun association membership. Plus I got charged for 2 months after I quit. So lets see... (100x6) + (100x2) + (100x2) = $1000... yep 1000 seems about right

The review was written nearly 2 years ago. There maybe have been some changes. The current timetable states 1 1/2 hours for normal classes, and 1 hour for Anti-Grappling classes.

And I did have a cup.

Posted On:
    2/17/2010 10:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol, i only looked at the most recent post date rather than the original. my bad there. i don't attend parramatta school but i do attend another with the same syllabus. Yes we actually hit each other fairly hard, hence the mouth and shin guards, and the gloves. I really am suprised you didn't experience this. Plus that cost per month does not sound right. Maybe things have changed since your initial post. Also I have not seen any 15 hit blitz defence, or are you exaggerating? Blitz defence is usually someone gonna banannas at you and then launching an attack, to which try to initially diffuse verbally and if they attach you repond with one hit if possible. Follow up hits only occur if they continue to fight. The idea is that someone watching this sees you as the non-aggressor when the police come.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast