Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:19pm

Style: Bicep Curls

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    This whole thread sounds fishy.

He joined the school because we heard people here shitting on Wing Chun? What a fucked up experiment.

He lost 6 months of his life and how much money???...and all he has to show for it is this shitty thread.

What a doucehbag.
    Yes, I am a doucehbag because I did not find the R3al Chun or bjj as my first school, with no prior experience in Martial Arts my bullshit detector isn't that good, unlike you sir. Look at the amount of people doing crappy MAs that did not get out after years, does that make them a douche?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairy
    Yes, I am a doucehbag because I did not find the R3al Chun or bjj as my first school, with no prior experience in Martial Arts my bullshit detector isn't that good, unlike you sir. Look at the amount of people doing crappy MAs that did not get out after years, does that make them a douche?
    Well I for one applaud your efforts first of all for playing devil's advocate, 'cause a bit of skepticism is healthy. Secondly, for giving it enough time to form an educated opinion, and finally, for being objective about the effectiveness of what you learned and not becoming an advocate of the art simply because you wanted to believe you didn't waste 6 months of you life.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 7:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. There is no excuse to be ignorant when there is so much information available to encourage people to ask the right questions.

You had read the complaints about wing chun on this board, yet you blindly waste 6 months at a school to "play devil's advocate" and now you are here complaining about losing money and wasting 6 months of your life.

If you were serious about learning a martial art, you would have used the information that you were previously exposed to to make a better decision.

Douche bag.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 10:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. There is no excuse to be ignorant when there is so much information available to encourage people to ask the right questions.

You had read the complaints about wing chun on this board, yet you blindly waste 6 months at a school to "play devil's advocate" and now you are here complaining about losing money and wasting 6 months of your life.

If you were serious about learning a martial art, you would have used the information that you were previously exposed to to make a better decision.

Douche bag.
    Perhaps he wasn't content just being one of the herd and thought he'd give it a try.

Imagine that, someone that wants to find out something for himself rather than taking the word of a bunch of people he doesn't know on the internet.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie1
    Perhaps he wasn't content just being one of the herd and thought he'd give it a try.

Imagine that, someone that wants to find out something for himself rather than taking the word of a bunch of people he doesn't know on the internet.
    Imagine that indeed... oh wait, aren't we here talking and bashing each others' even though we don't know each other, and most likely ever will?

It is one thing not to be part of the herd mentality. It is quite another to shrug the testimony of others simply because, you know, it's net. If the validity of testimony and opinions of others were based simply in whether they are presented IRL or over the net, then this whole conversation, and your posts included, would be a waste of time.

The school review would be a waste of time. Posting on an internet forum would also be a waste of time, and basically, no useful information could ever be extracted from such a e-collaborative medium.

Though I know this is not what you are saying, this is precisely what you would get if we were to follow that line of logic.

So it is fine and dandy that he didn't want to be part of the herd as you sanctimoniously put it. It is also fine and dandy that he's been told "I told you so". Inasmush as I hate the mindless BJJihad that sometimes occur here, there are times when people should just listen to what a bunch of anonymous people over the internet are saying (as zealots as they might be, with all good intentions and backed up with actual evidence and personal experience.)

That is the value of this site, and that what gives value to these school reviews, and most importantly, it validates the idea of, sometimes being part of a (very skeptical and analytical, though sometimes zealot) herd, a herd with which is much more analytical than the larger herd out there. You are always part of a herd. It's up to you to choose which one.

Good school review. Too bad that hairy had to spent months and $$$ in finding out the hard way. Good luck in finding something that is both of your liking and that is useful.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 10:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie1

Oh Jesus Christ he is a fucking hero.

In no other time in the history of mankind has a person had access to as much information as we do today. If you are on the internet you are being inundated with information. To ignore an overwhelming amount of info is stupid.

Look...I'll compromise...he is not a douche bag for trying out wing chun. He is a douche bag for taking 6 months to figure out that his school was shitty. That indicates that he either didn't honestly communicate with the Sifu, or just wasn't paying attention.

Seriously. Think about how long 6 months is.

Maybe he is a complete noobie who doesn't know anything at all about martial arts. But...what kind of douche bag spends $1000 and 6 months on something they don't know anything about without doing some research on it?

You know the best place to do research? The internet. But at some point you will have to believe what you read.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 3:43am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, I repeatedly asked the higher (mod) powers to cull the discussion out of the review section, but... Let's continue, until they do so.

I think Southpaw hit the nail on the head with the simple and logical:
    ...Seriously. Think about how long 6 months is...
    Hairy, you didn't start another thread to explain in depth your reasons for doing this half-year extravanagza, which is a pity.

You did reply with this:
    To be honest, I don't really know why I stayed that long in that class. I guess I did not realise how bad it was till I lurked more in Bullshido forums and started training in real MAs. Kinda same way Karate/TKD mcdojo practisioners stay loyal to their dojo as did I...
    But that doesn't make it. You realised how **** the chun over there was by lurking on Bullshido, not by training in it and disliking it/finding out it doesn't work for you?

In the separate thread I still advocate, many important questions could have been answered already, for example:

How come you didn't realise sooner, that you dislike what you train in? Did you talk to the instructor about what you dislike? Did you try to talk other students into sparring and testing out what they've been taught? Why didn't you come back to Bullshido during the 6 month period to discuss what's going on? Why didn't you contact other chunners to confront what's being taught in Paramatta? Etc...

This way it seems (and I'm not trying to be disgraceful to you) like you're a person who reads on the internet about "eating human faeces is not good" and play the devil's advocate by actually dining in public restrooms for 6 months. Then you bitch about it really wasn't fresh top-class sushi...
    Last edited by Tonuzaba; 8/19/2008 3:49am at .

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 4:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I didn't want to give my life story about why I quit after 6months, but now since you keep asking why. To be precise, I did it for about 4 months, and the school was closed for most of Dec/Jan so thats more like 3 months. I was doing the Chun with a good friend of mine, you see, I wanted to quit 1/2 way into it, but he wanted to stay for some reason. I didn't mind it at the time cause we got to hangout alot. O well I'm a douche.

And yes, how do you expect someone new to this forum to take the word of complete strangers. Have you read the threads about Wing Chun, the posts in it sound like little keyboard warrior kids typing it, similar to the idiot comments on Youtube. After lurking more, most of the posters here seemed like they were reasonable and knew what they were talking about.

I agree the internet is a good resource to research MAs, I did do quite abit of research before joining mainly on TMAs, but look the amount of crap you have to filter out, how many BS schools are there compared to the legit ones, the amount of legit info compared to bullshit keyboard warrior claims, also the Mcdojos usually advertise more anyways. They all advertise the deadly, and the streets, why wouldn't a complete noob want to do a deadly MA? Also Bullshido is not the only MA forum out there, I may have stumbled upon MAP and other forums of the like. You can't expect a complete noob to know how to choose a good school first time round.

I did ask about sparring with other students, they seemed to think that sticking hands = sparring (I was delusional and agreed). After much pussyfooting, robotic drills and sparring with a friend that did boxing several times, (I got schooled) did I see how bad it was. My friend told me all about the grapple in all its bjj nuthuggery goodness, showed me some videos on mma. After this I did start to question the techniques of my sifu, well I didn't speak out about it, because I didn't want to be rude/disrespectful.

Eating **** over sushi, compared to taking Wing Chun over BJJ (with no knowledge of MAs) isn't a fair comparison. Its common sense not to eat ****, choosing a good school isn't. I made a bad choice for staying there 4 months, there I admit it, but at least I didn't buy the kungfu slippers.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^
    Now we're getting somewhere... Thanx for replying.

OK, f*ck the school, how is the food in the Sicilian restaurant that the gym is built upon? :happy6:

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 8:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never dined there before, the food is probably packed full of teh deadly.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast